PDA

View Full Version : G-Wagen @ 120k - pffft....please

catch-22
19th June 2009, 04:58 PM
Mercedes-Benz?s no-frills workhorse heads down-under - www.drive.com.au (http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=63768&s_rid=smh:rainbowstrip:content1:19-06:19-6_merc)

p38arover
19th June 2009, 05:09 PM
It will be interesting to see how they depreciate. A secondhand unit might be viable 10 years on.

dmdigital
19th June 2009, 05:25 PM
I started to read the article and thought the $120K must have referred to an up-spec'd unit...:eek: it's the base model!

That's not a rival for the Defender or even the Troopie. In fact for that price you could almost buy one of each and still have some change.

Hendrik
19th June 2009, 05:35 PM
Now why would you want that over a Range Rover Sport...seriously. I don't think they're gonna sell that many to be honest

Sleepy
19th June 2009, 05:40 PM
Yikes, I new it would be more than a deefer but that is just silly.

Just think, A nice new Deefer and $65,000 to spend on extra's! I know which I would rather have.

wally
19th June 2009, 05:41 PM
Now why would you want that over a Range Rover Sport...seriously. I don't think they're gonna sell that many to be honest

At that price I can't see them selling any.

Michael2
19th June 2009, 06:06 PM
If it has airbags it will appeal to mining & gov't buyers. But then again, I'm sure a Council Ranger would rather drive a D3 or a RRS than a G-Wagen.

However if they have airbags, they could then be customised for mine site ambulance work, and would be better than a 100Series adapted to such a task.

cartm58
19th June 2009, 06:36 PM
Come down in price in real terms though as they were selling for like $75,000 plus when last on market in oz 20 years ago.

But $120,000 totally over priced for what they got and can do

Probably be cheaper to source a European model and do a direct import yourself

UncleHo
19th June 2009, 06:59 PM
G'day Folks :)

When the "G" wagon came on the Qld market some 20+ years ago the on the road price was $104,205 and 3 weeks after they were released I saw a gentleman cleaning FISH :oon the tailgate on Welsby Pde at Bribie Island witout any protective cover :eek2:

cheers

keithy47
19th June 2009, 07:01 PM
Really can't see them selling more than a trivial amount at that kind of money.

spudboy
19th June 2009, 08:14 PM
The supercharged AMG sounds the go for me:

The G-Wagen is likely to be sold here as a G350 CDI (with a 3.0-litre V6 turbo-diesel), a G500 (with a 5.5-litre V8) and G55 AMG (with a potent 5.4-litre supercharged V8).

The brutal G55 AMG is likely to cost upwards of $300,000.

Just better go and check with the missus if it's OK to sell the house to get one....

scarry
19th June 2009, 08:33 PM
Maybe their thinking if they have got the defence contract,well maybe they can attack the domestic market as well......even though models will be different,many spares may be similar.

Dunno who would want one at those prices:confused:

dmdigital
19th June 2009, 09:58 PM
If it has airbags it will appeal to mining & gov't buyers. But then again, I'm sure a Council Ranger would rather drive a D3 or a RRS than a G-Wagen.

However if they have airbags, they could then be customised for mine site ambulance work, and would be better than a 100Series adapted to such a task.
I doubt it. Lots of Hilux's and Land Cruiser Workmate 5 seaters replacing 100 series. The 200 Series are considered way to expensive and they're cheaper than the estimated price of a G-Wagon.

LOVEMYRANGIE
19th June 2009, 11:16 PM
Guess I will just have to do the first AULRO Official Roadtest on one when they land in New Vehicle showroom at work!! :D:D:D

Newbs-IIA
19th June 2009, 11:32 PM
WHATTT???? That price is just silly...

I can't believe the Military was going to replace their landrovers with this???? last time i checked a perentie was not that expensive...

The G-wagon better be able to drive itself, perform its own servicing, create it's own fuel, have a top speed on rough terrain of 150km/h, hover above the ground and have mini-guns that pop out of the mudguards for that price :eek: :eek:

Bloody hell ay... not to mention they are about as good looking as the north end of a south bound cow

William
20th June 2009, 08:18 AM
Here's a link to the U.S prices. Hell, even allowing for currency difference and a bit extra for the shipping, the G55 AMG seems a bargain there!

2009 Mercedes-Benz G-Class Pricing and Information (http://www.edmunds.com/mercedesbenz/gclass/2009/index.html)

Leo
20th June 2009, 08:52 AM
Ooooh, good news - does this signal the return of right hand drive G-wagens?

I'm sure the base models will be cheaper than the reporter's estimate.

George130
20th June 2009, 06:17 PM
Ooooh, good news - does this signal the return of right hand drive G-wagens?

I'm sure the base models will be cheaper than the reporter's estimate.

Yes $119,990:D:D:D

BMKal
20th June 2009, 08:00 PM

At that price, can't see the mining industry buying too many if any at all, airbags or not. There are plenty of much cheaper options around.

Apart from the price, I couldn't bring myself to own one anyway, regardless of their claimed capabilities. They're butt ugly. But then, to some - that is an attraction I suppose........ :angel:

blitz
23rd June 2009, 12:06 PM
for that sort of money an Australian OKA would be a better option

Shonky
23rd June 2009, 12:38 PM
If only LR would make an airbag equipped Deefer with an Isuzu-esque diesel engine... :(

Then we would reign supreme amongst industry once more! Fly my pretties! fly! FLY! :twisted: Aaaahahahahar! :wheelchair:

solmanic
23rd June 2009, 01:02 PM
There is nothing "basic" at all about the bottom of the range G320 model. I have been watching these for a while now and if you look at the specs on the German website you will see that the "base" G320 model (which is the only diesel one by the way) still has alloys, lockers on both axles & CDL, 7 speed automatic and just about everything else that opens & shuts. Full-on stereo with TV tuner & iPod, climate control etc etc... leather everything, wood trim... it just goes on and on...

The only difference between it and the G500 is the 5.5l petrol engine.

Extras include better leather everything, sat-nav and heated bum-warmers, remote tyre pressure monitoring but nothing that you would really, really need. It's a total package that rivals the full-fat Range Rover, just in a squarer box so $120K doesn't surprise me at all.

Besides, the price in Germany is EU75K so AU$120K is actually a bit of a bargain.

Shonky
23rd June 2009, 01:08 PM
So it's basically the test-tube baby of a locked Deefer and a Rangie Vogue, born to a hefty surrogate named Helga?

Nice. B)

solmanic
23rd June 2009, 01:13 PM
So it's basically the test-tube baby of a locked Deefer and a Rangie Vogue, born to a hefty surrogate named Helga?

Nice. B)

That's probably not a bad way to put it actually. Yes, it's like someone took a Defender and stuffed all the goodies from a Range Rover in it, then actually produced it to a decent build-quality standard. I swear I could hear the Hallelujah chorus playing faintly as I read the spec. sheet. I've got to be honest, if I had a lazy $100K lying around then that would be my next vehicle... In fact I am tempted to make it work financially even without the cash...:cool:

frantic
23rd June 2009, 01:19 PM
One thing LR should take note off and listen to is the engine specs and that Merc could make a business case for them. G-wag- 170kw diesel is going to sell for $100K + and the petrol 5.5v8's go over $250k!! yet LR refuse to do a Hi-Po defender with their V8 Td(detune it to 180-190kw) that could easily be brought in for around $65-70k. This IMHO would have been far better than the svx bling edition with leather and heated seats. Hell for the showponies you could do an upspec tdv8 defender with leather sat nav heated recaro's etc... for $75-85k( call it a county classic! ;)) and a base TdV8 defender for $65K. With that engine you could also cater for those who can only do 1 thing at a time and suffer left leg paralysis AKA an auto! :D

B92 8NW
23rd June 2009, 01:21 PM
There is nothing "basic" at all about the bottom of the range G320 model. I have been watching these for a while now and if you look at the specs on the German website you will see that the "base" G320 model (which is the only diesel one by the way) still has alloys, lockers on both axles & CDL, 7 speed automatic and just about everything else that opens & shuts. Full-on stereo with TV tuner & iPod, climate control etc etc... leather everything, wood trim... it just goes on and on...

The only difference between it and the G500 is the 5.5l petrol engine.

Extras include better leather everything, sat-nav and heated bum-warmers, remote tyre pressure monitoring but nothing that you would really, really need. It's a total package that rivals the full-fat Range Rover, just in a squarer box so $120K doesn't surprise me at all.

Besides, the price in Germany is EU75K so AU$120K is actually a bit of a bargain.

Exactly.

This is a picture that another AULRO member posted of his 1992 G300E.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2009/06/311.jpg

Not at all like a 1992 Defender interior - and I like what I see better than a 1992 Range Rover interior.

solmanic
23rd June 2009, 01:25 PM
Problem is that the Defender's chassis set-up with a high-power engine is just a bit too dangerous to put in the hands of a novice - at least in terms of the company's potential liability when people start putting them on their lids. If Pickles auction site is anything to go by there are already plenty of people who find them hard to handle with 100kW 2.5l 4 cyl.

The G-Wagen has air bags all over the place and stability & traction control galore. Plus the fact that I would expect the Mercedes to handle better on-road than a Defender.

inside
23rd June 2009, 02:36 PM
... In fact I am tempted to make it work financially even without the cash...:cool:
Ditto, these look very good. Hmm the AMG would be nice, the sound alone is worth 300K in my opinion.

YouTube - MERCEDES G 55 AMG 0-200km/h

loanrangie
23rd June 2009, 03:01 PM
For my 120k i would at least like an update to the 1983 body shell they are still trying to sell :o. LR at least changed the rangie classic body after 24 years.

loanrangie
23rd June 2009, 03:03 PM
Exactly.

This is a picture that another AULRO member posted of his 1992 G300E.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2009/06/311.jpg

Not at all like a 1992 Defender interior - and I like what I see better than a 1992 Range Rover interior.

Thats nice but it is not a base model, the base model had a lovely tartan green/ tan check pattern and vinyl trim :toilet: .

B92 8NW
23rd June 2009, 03:12 PM
Thats nice but it is not a base model, the base model had a lovely tartan green/ tan check pattern and vinyl trim :toilet: .

LOL:D, true.

http://www.redcougar.ca/images/G-Interior-tan.jpg

But the pic I posted is a W461 G-wagen, 1992 update.

crash
23rd June 2009, 03:30 PM
And Merc is aiming for the grey nomad market, who after the great economic downslide we just had, would have a spare 120K to spend on a new vehicle - I don't think so.

snowbound
23rd June 2009, 03:42 PM
Very nice, but will they still be on the road in 40 years! I bet there will STILL be series LRs about in the next 40. Doubt I will see them though ;)

G-Wagen
23rd June 2009, 04:37 PM
Thought i should reply here.

My 300GE is pretty much the base model from 1992, and is the 463 series. So that style interior is the 'base' spec really. Not bad for 1992 with heated leather seats, electronic diff locks, switchable ABS etc.

The tartan interior pic is from the 1980's 461's which are very different to my car.

I'm on the wrong site to go 'defending' (:p) the price and specs of the new G-Class, however if i had the money I'd be trading my 300GE in for a new one in a heartbeat. And lets not go comparing the two laziest design departments in the world (Mercedes G-wagen and Landrover Defender design depts that is)....(at least the Mercedes guys hide the rivets..haha!) :p

I was very close to buying a X-Treme 90 a few years back. I love the shape of them and see them as being quite a similar look to the g-wagens, but ultimately I went with the G because I was lucky enough to find it and of it's rarity.

I don't think the G-Wagen and Defender are in the same market segment. Defenders are for people who really want to go offroad whereas the mercs, whilst extremely capable aren't (think Range Rover Sport - they're no doubt capable but just not intended for it in reality).

The GL320 is bang on $120,000, so I think the G320 is right on the money, I know which one I'd have of the two.

Also one last thing which may have contributed to this thread going off track a bit is the title of the news article 'Mercedes-Benz’s no-frills workhorse heads down-under'. As mentioned the $120k 'base' model will be a high spec luxury 4WD with all the bits, nothing like the one in the article picture and ten times nicer than mine. The G-Wagens of old were similar to the defenders with cloth seats and bare floors, but the G-Wagen went luxury from my series (463) onwards whilst the Defender stayed true to it's rugged beginings.

cucinadio
23rd June 2009, 05:33 PM
that what you get from Howard...a **** load of **** for our defense forces for some ridiculous price ...god he was a wombat..:angel:

cheers

frantic
2nd July 2009, 03:11 PM
Problem is that the Defender's chassis set-up with a high-power engine is just a bit too dangerous to put in the hands of a novice - at least in terms of the company's potential liability when people start putting them on their lids. If Pickles auction site is anything to go by there are already plenty of people who find them hard to handle with 100kW 2.5l 4 cyl.

The G-Wagen has air bags all over the place and stability & traction control galore. Plus the fact that I would expect the Mercedes to handle better on-road than a Defender.
:lol2::lol2::lol2:

What a load off garden fertillizer!
In 1994-97 (or98) they supplied the USA with SWB convertible defenders with the 4.0l PETROL V8!!! So in the land off litigation this was ok with the 1500kg 90 with no ABS let alone airbags?
Yet yourself and LR try to justify not giving us in OZ the same option as a handling issue?( actually you sound 100% identical to LR' australia's 15yr spiel)
Now I'm 100% certain a 4.0L V8 petrol 90 would outrun a TD V8 110defender wagon or 130 crew cab in a straight line and probably around corners. Yet the def since 2000 has gotten traction and abs (in the 110) but no Hi-Po engine options. Also the ones I have seen in pickles appear to have been rolled at a slow speed as in side slope offroad , or in the case of one off them with a bent front chassis either driven straight into or backed over by a truck!
How many LEAF sprung TDV8 cruiser troopies are in pickles, rolled with their narrower rear diffs(100mm difference front to back!) no airbags and no automatic traction control(Manually lockable diff)

As a footnote in the U.S they also got auto for the 1 legged brigade in the 1997 models

isuzurover
2nd July 2009, 04:28 PM
I read an article some time ago stating that the "NEW" G-Wagen which was coming here would be like an H3 is to an H1 - a more civilised road orientated version. It was supposed to be based on the M-Class chassis and have IFS...

I take it that that is now not the case, and this new one will be the real deal???

In Germany you would see one screaming along at 200+ (the fastest my golf could manage was 185 :( ). The new ones seem to handle quite well at high speed.

solmanic
2nd July 2009, 04:50 PM
What a load off garden fertillizer!...
Now I'm 100% certain a 4.0L V8 petrol 90 would outrun a TD V8 110defender wagon or 130 crew cab in a straight line and probably around corners.

I'm not sure what 4.0l V8 you're referring to. I thought the NAS only used the 3.5l V8 and it only had a power output of about 100kW (I think the 4.0l might have been the one used on the 50th anniversary models in the UK). If it could outrun a Td5 or Tdci then it would be only thanks to the gearing. No chance of it ever outrunning a TdV8.

And yes, my point was I was referring to Land Rover's standard line of "too much power = too much risk".

I read an article some time ago stating that the "NEW" G-Wagen which was coming here would be like an H3 is to an H1 - a more civilised road orientated version. It was supposed to be based on the M-Class chassis and have IFS...

I take it that that is now not the case, and this new one will be the real deal???

The new G-class might be what you're referring to. It was supposed to replace the G-Wagen but Mercedes changed their mind when they got feedback from fans saying "replace it over my dead body" etc.

B92 8NW
2nd July 2009, 10:23 PM
The new G-class might be what you're referring to. It was supposed to replace the G-Wagen but Mercedes changed their mind when they got feedback from fans saying "replace it over my dead body" etc.

It's the GL-class, G-class is the G-Wagen.

Whilst Land Rover owners will certainly doubt the GL-class's off road potential, it is verily a true four wheel drive much the same as a D3 with low range, fully locking center and rear differentials and air suspension.

I'd buy one given the money:D

http://www.carpages.co.uk/mercedes_benz/mercedes_benz_images/mercedes_benz_gl_class_side_10_12_05.jpg

Pedro_The_Swift
3rd July 2009, 05:10 AM
I suppose if you can afford the 120 buy in,,
the 2500 to replace the tyres shouldnt be a problem--

juddy
3rd July 2009, 09:06 AM
Very nice the G Wagon, but very expensive, but you would be getting somthing very different. Whos going to buy them, i think lots of people will there a icon of a car, 26 inch chrome rims, bling bling bling, they will love them Mr Hummer move over, The Gold Coast and iam sure many other ponsy places are awash with Merc 4wd's there just so common.... so a G wagon will be something all new for the people with money to buy.

frantic
3rd July 2009, 09:24 AM
The History of LAND Rover Defender (http://www.cars-directory.net/history/land_rover/defender/)

Do any search on NAS defender and you will get the "truth" that they got the rr 3.9 then the 4.0from the RR before compulsory airbag legislation forced them out. Same power figure.

Further to your td v8 would kill it :Dread my post. A discovery(around 2.1t) 2 with a 4.0v8 got to 100k's in just over 10 secs, the tdv8 in the RR sport does it in 9.2:o so what do you think a 500 kilo+ lighter(or 900kg over the rr) defender 90(around 1.5-1.6t) would do with the same v8 the defender has?????????

The LR australia line is and has been proven to be a total load off cows manure.

solmanic
3rd July 2009, 10:35 AM
Do any search on NAS defender and you will get the "truth" that they got the rr 3.9 then the 4.0from the RR before compulsory airbag legislation forced them out. Same power figure.....

You're right about the power being a lot more than I thought, but the figures on that website are all rounded up (presumably from advertising sources), and the 4.0l NAS V8 was not in fact a 4.0l engine, but just the same 3.9l re-badged as 4.0l. I got my info from this website (http://www.lrfaq.org/FAQ.3.LR_data.html) for tech data on all North American delivered vehicles.

Anyhoo, assuming a 182BHP (135kW) engine in a 1.7tonne NAS 90 = 107BHP/t

TdV8 has 272BHP (202kW), in a 2.1tone Defender 130 = 129BHP/t

In short, I would be somewhat less than 100% sure that a NAS V8 D90 would outrun a TdV8 D130 (let alone 110) - notwithstanding gearing.

PAT303
3rd July 2009, 11:08 AM
:lol2::lol2::lol2:

What a load off garden fertillizer!
In 1994-97 (or98) they supplied the USA with SWB convertible defenders with the 4.0l PETROL V8!!! So in the land off litigation this was ok with the 1500kg 90 with no ABS let alone airbags?
Yet yourself and LR try to justify not giving us in OZ the same option as a handling issue?( actually you sound 100% identical to LR' australia's 15yr spiel)
Now I'm 100% certain a 4.0L V8 petrol 90 would outrun a TD V8 110defender wagon or 130 crew cab in a straight line and probably around corners. Yet the def since 2000 has gotten traction and abs (in the 110) but no Hi-Po engine options. Also the ones I have seen in pickles appear to have been rolled at a slow speed as in side slope offroad , or in the case of one off them with a bent front chassis either driven straight into or backed over by a truck!
How many LEAF sprung TDV8 cruiser troopies are in pickles, rolled with their narrower rear diffs(100mm difference front to back!) no airbags and no automatic traction control(Manually lockable diff)

As a footnote in the U.S they also got auto for the 1 legged brigade in the 1997 models
I'd just like to add that there is a lot of rolled toyota's around,I mean A LOT.In Kalgoorlie there would be at least 50 to 100 lying around in yards that have been crashed-rolled otherwise wrecked and the Sims metal yard has bodies in there everyday getting recycled.The narrow rear cruiser and Patrol both fishtail very easy in ruts,drive one and you find this out for yourself.The G wagon is in the same position as LR as it covers the people who don't want the run-off-the-mill jap crap but LR are fools for not letting the Defender keep up with the market,it doesn't need a balls out engine,just something in the 130kw/400NM range with an auto as an option.The G wagon has prooved,like the defender that it is a very good vehicle,a long list of army's around the world use them,the trouble for LR is that they are replacing the defender as the most common military vehicle.It is a shame that many people and many company's would buy LR's if only LR would make what the market wants,would I buy one?,if they made the 110 duel cab with the TDV6 and auto I would have a new one in my driveway instead of an ex lease L322. Pat

Owen
3rd July 2009, 02:14 PM
I think you all missed the point here....it means the Army are buying new toys....and finally some reasonable Perenties will hit the market for us to have our own toys !!!!:)

PAT303
3rd July 2009, 02:33 PM
It would be cheaper to buy a county V8,they go for nix and build one.The novelty effect would soon wear off on a wet night with long hours driving in front of you. Pat

frantic
3rd July 2009, 02:45 PM
In short, I would be somewhat less than 100% sure that a NAS V8 D90 would outrun a TdV8 D130 (let alone 110) - notwithstanding gearing.
And you have just agreed with my point off view :D:D:D
THANK YOU!
A NAS defender 90 from 10-15 years ago would be at least as quick as a 110 with a tdv8 but far less safe considering traction and abs are a more recent addition. It would also go much quicker through corners(shorter wheelbase) than either a 110 or 130. The LR Oz spiel is and has always been a pile off smelly bull droppings.
Merc's will get the 165kw 510 nm diesel would LR please come to the party with a detuned tdv8( say 170-180 kw) or even a tdv6 in the same league!

As for rolled cars :angel: it does not matter what the power output is under the bonnet if the skull behind the wheel is "distracted" they will still trash it.

inside
3rd July 2009, 04:52 PM
..... if they made the 110 duel cab with the TDV6 and auto I would have a new one in my driveway instead of an ex lease L322. Pat
Are you sure you could give up the L322 interior? It's another area that the Merc excels at when compared to the Defender. But at double the price you'd want a good interior.

PAT303
3rd July 2009, 05:45 PM
OK you have me there,I would like a brand new fender though.My old one has almost 416,000k's on it.