PDA

View Full Version : Pre Owned L322 3.0 Diesel

titehead
8th July 2009, 12:25 PM
Hi All

I contemplating buying a 2003/2005 L322 3.0l TD. Are there any known glitches that this model had that anyone had or knows about? Was there an "update" at any stage after they came out? Also am interested to know if a third row of seating was released or an aftermarket solution exists.

Thanks.

Scouse
8th July 2009, 12:45 PM
Mechanically, they're very good. Check the auto oil though as they are a 'sealed for life' unit. A good operator would have changed the oil though. If it's black, steer clear.

There's a recall for the front diff so that should have been done by now.

You'll probably find a lot of the interior plastic trim is losing it's colour in spots (window switch panels usually) but that's a wear & tear thing.

ariddell
8th July 2009, 01:06 PM
I think 05/06 was an update year where they switched over to the newer style satnav etc inside along with switching to Jaguar as opposed to BMW engines in the petrol models...

Not sure what else would have changed on the diesel though.

spudboy
8th July 2009, 06:15 PM
Have a read of this: Mk III Range Rover L322 (http://www.rangerovers.net/rrmkiii.htm)

I've got one. Love it. Engine superb. Excellent MPG. The perfect vehicle if you have to go to the opera or you have to go to the outback. Does everything well!!

Make sure diff recall has been done on earlier models (no charge - should have already been done to all vehicles under warranty). Check that air suspension goes up and down smartly, as new compressor will make your wallet cry.

PAT303
9th July 2009, 11:16 AM
I have a 03 3.0Td and love it.Heaps of room,very comfy and goes very well,cruise control is a must on the open road,it's very easy to do 130-140 without knowing it.The best engine-drivetrain in any vehicle I have ever driven by a mile,and cheaper running costs than a bomberdoor. Pat

antvc
21st July 2009, 07:14 PM
any idea what the fuel economy is for the 3.0Td also the petrol v8?
Thanks
Anthony

spudboy
21st July 2009, 08:22 PM
Around town: 11L/100
Open road cruising: 9.5L/100

Very economical engine for the weight it has to lug around. Very nippy too, in a regal kind of way :D

Oh - I forgot to say in the initial post, these figures are for my Diesel (should be obvious, just thought I'd clarify)

antvc
21st July 2009, 08:48 PM
That is very good for a big car.
What is the opinion of the people here of the petrol model?
I have been looking at the used cars and they are very well priced for the older 2002/3 models

antvc
2nd September 2009, 07:04 PM
I have been looking at some L322"s on cars guide and their seems to be a change around late 2003 early 2004 models in the centre dash area.
The later models have a small screen and the first models that the first models don't have. i assume the engine is the same and the interior is the only thing that was changed.
Is the screen for the sat/nav system?
and if so, what was in the first cars in the dash?
anthony

ariddell
3rd September 2009, 02:59 PM
Depends on the spec level if they have the screen in the dash or not rather than being an age thing. The update didn't come till the 06 model year i think so all 03/04/05 cars will be the same dash etc aside from the spec level differences of equipment and petrol or diesel engine.

In the petrol models HSE is the lower spec that comes with a standard radio in the dash, fewer speakers, different seats, smaller wheels.

The Vogue is the higher spec one with the TV/Satnav in the dash, electric everything, 12-way adjustable seats, heated steering wheel, more speakers/subwoofer, etc etc.

With the diesels it looks like they were all HSEs but just with different options added to them to bring them up to Vogue equivilent level i think.

We are currently hitting about 18.5l/100km in our V8, mostly city use.

As has been mentioned make sure the diff recall has been done, check the transission - if it whines at all or if you notice a slight shudder continually when the lockdown should be kicking in when cruising along then walk away - it's a very good sign that the gearbox is on its way out. If you go for a Vogue then the electric steering wheel adjustment motors are prone to failure which aint cheap to fix.

antvc
3rd September 2009, 06:42 PM
Thanks for that info aridell
I did not realise there were different spec levels. I will look at the car details more closely.
I suppose that if you didn't have to adjust the steering column , the electric steering motors not working should not be a problem?
Anthony

it seems a bit over the top to have a heated steering wheel
I assume that you are happy with your car

drivesafe
3rd September 2009, 08:38 PM
it seems a bit over the top to have a heated steering wheel

That’s until you have one.

The only thing better than a heated steering wheel on a freezing winters morning, is air conditioned seats on a hot summers day.

ariddell
4th September 2009, 10:08 AM
I stand by the heated steering wheel being one of mankind's best ever inventions.. Much happiness on the way back from many a ski trip having toasty warm paws after soggy cold ski gloves..

Airconditioned seats are one of the many features that keep me popping onto the LR site and feeling the draw of a new 5.0 Supercharged RR (although the 5.0 supercharged bit is the main draw :) )... Alas shortly thereafter the lack of the $200k needed to procure such a device kicks back in and i return to reality..

The wheel motors its self back in to retract into the dash when you switch the car off, and then motors back out to its memory position when you switch it on as a kind of easy access feature so the motors are used all the time. Probably one of the reasons why they tend to wear out.

Personally i think it's well worth going for the Vogue spec, if only for the "comfort" seats, they really are spectacularily comfortable. Better than the ones in the Jaguar XJ8 I had previously, and right up there with those in my mate's Bentley Arnage that I had a few trips in in the UK. Quite definitely "sofa on wheels" territory.

I love our L322, and like I say I would have a new one in an instant if funds allowed. Sure we've had a few issues with it but these have been sorted under warranty, and I think for the money they are going for currently they are an absolute bargain.

PAT303
6th September 2009, 11:59 AM
Totally agree.Once you have owned one there's no going back. Pat

drivesafe
7th September 2009, 04:35 AM
Personally i think it's well worth going for the Vogue spec, if only for the "comfort" seats, they really are spectacularily comfortable.

Got to be completely honest and say the seats in my 03 RR were not only larger but noticeably more comfortable than they are in my current 08 RR.

For some unknown reason, they have made the centre console wider in the later model and this has meant that the two front seats are now slightly narrower and the trade off means the seat are not as comfortable.

antvc
9th September 2009, 05:41 PM
Hello Drivesafe
What model was your previous Range Rover, a HSE or vogue?

drivesafe
9th September 2009, 07:54 PM
Hello Drivesafe
What model was your previous Range Rover, a HSE or vogue?

HSE

CSBrisie
22nd September 2009, 12:11 PM
Is this an option???(7 seats)

ariddell
23rd September 2009, 10:10 AM
Not a factory option i don't think but i've certainly seen aftermarket converted 7 seat L322s advertised.

drivesafe
25th September 2009, 05:12 AM
Is this an option???(7 seats)

Overfinch had a rear seat set up but I’m almost sure that they only suited children.

Ace
26th September 2009, 04:10 PM
Hi ariddell, i have been toying with the prospect of getting one in for the wife once my car is paid out (gotta pay for the extra bits i added to the loan :D), the V8 model seems cheaper on the S/H market and for the money they have lower km's than the diesel models.

How do you find the V8 powerwise, does it get the Rangie up and moving when you need it to? Does it lack in power at all given the weight of the vehicle? Also, you said you get around 18.5L/100km with mostly city driving how many litres/100km do you reckon you get on a long highway run? We live in a country area so with the exception of driving it around town a bit the rest is open contry roads. matt

muddymech
26th September 2009, 06:14 PM
overfinch seven seats

about 3.30 into video

YouTube - top gear - range rover 580 s by overfinch v8 versus mercedes slk 320 amg

Ace
26th September 2009, 07:01 PM
overfinch seven seats

about 3.30 into video

YouTube - top gear - range rover 580 s by overfinch v8 versus mercedes slk 320 amg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwckq8y2nYw)

seen that, its an awsome vid, very good

Ace
26th September 2009, 07:11 PM
turns out that the Ranige is better than a Hummer or an Escalade, just in case anyone was wondering :D

YouTube - Top Gear - Range Rover Escalade Hummer

ariddell
28th September 2009, 03:57 PM
Hey Ace,

Re performance I've found it perfectly acceptable, the BMW lump likes to rev so although it's a big heavy car it's certainly able to respond when you need it to. It can be a little disconcerting at first with its tendancy to head for the red line regularily if you put the foot down even when not in sport mode, but it certainly gets moving and makes a very nice snarling noise in the process.

It was perfectly happy with 4 people, a boot full of associated luggage, a full compliment of ski gear and about 80l of fuel on a recent run up to Falls Creek without it feeling like it was struggling on the steep inclines where our D2 v8 labours noticably.

Running it on 98RON fuel also makes a big difference to its responsiveness, but yeah I've certainly had no problem with how well it goes and I tend to make reasonably enthusiastic progress shall we say... ;)

Re economy, on a long run the lowest I've seen it go was 11.6l/100 if memory serves (i think), but yeah - if fuel economy is a major concern then diesel is the way to go as an LPG conversion on the v8 is ~$6000.

Cheers

Al

Ace
28th September 2009, 04:53 PM
Hey Ace,

Re performance I've found it perfectly acceptable, the BMW lump likes to rev so although it's a big heavy car it's certainly able to respond when you need it to. It can be a little disconcerting at first with its tendancy to head for the red line regularily if you put the foot down even when not in sport mode, but it certainly gets moving and makes a very nice snarling noise in the process.

It was perfectly happy with 4 people, a boot full of associated luggage, a full compliment of ski gear and about 80l of fuel on a recent run up to Falls Creek without it feeling like it was struggling on the steep inclines where our D2 v8 labours noticably.

Running it on 98RON fuel also makes a big difference to its responsiveness, but yeah I've certainly had no problem with how well it goes and I tend to make reasonably enthusiastic progress shall we say... ;)

Re economy, on a long run the lowest I've seen it go was 11.6l/100 if memory serves (i think), but yeah - if fuel economy is a major concern then diesel is the way to go as an LPG conversion on the v8 is ~$6000.

Cheers

Al

Hi Al, thanks for that, most informative. Im not so much worried about the fuel economy, i would just like to know what to expect before jumping in. By the sounds of it its around the same as the missus' V6 pajero anyway, its only a 92 model, and thats what we will be replacing.

DirtyDawg
11th October 2009, 07:19 AM
I have had ours off road afew times now and it makes it all feel too easy. These cars are so good that when the lease is up in 12mths I am keeping it and buying another one, if the Indians are still making them.

drivesafe
13th October 2009, 08:47 AM
I am keeping it and buying another one, if the Indians are still making them.

The only problem is that they will now be called Raj Rovers :wasntme: