PDA

View Full Version : External antenna for NextG Phone?

Kelly928
31st July 2009, 10:32 AM
I have the telstra EasyTouch (ZTE T7) NextG phone and looking to buy an external antenna. I am going to use the antenna for the phone as well as connecting to a handheld UHF. I am usually in hilly terrain but some flat ground as well so I guess I am looking at a compromise of 4-6db gain antenna. In doing some research I am getting very confused between which antenna I need. I know about low gain (~3-4db, hilly) and high gain (>6db, flat ground) skinny antennas but I believe you can get a 4.5db high gain antenna (thick one). So very confused:confused:. Help needed.

Thanks

Tusker
31st July 2009, 10:59 AM
Different frequencies... will need two arials. And for NextG, make sure its for 850 whatits, the 3G from Vodaphone Optus etc are on 2100 whatsits.

If you can't find anything advertised for NextG, look for an old CDMA aerial - that's the frequency NextG took over.

Regards
Max P

njz
31st July 2009, 02:57 PM
As mentioned you need two separate antennas.

For your phone, have a look at this one or a newer version:
RFI CD2195 High Gain Mobile Phone Antenna

I find it works very well when connected to my NextG phone with a patch lead. I put it on a fold over gutter mount bracket so its nice and high above the roof when in use. There have been a plenty of times when I've been the only one on a trip with phone coverage.

richard4u2
1st August 2009, 09:10 AM
i also have an zte and i dont think i would worry about an antenna

waynep
2nd August 2009, 08:38 AM
First thing to check is that your phone has a socket for an external antenna. Some don't.

Yes, as said you can't use your 477MHz CB antenna for yr phone.

For my Next G I have one of those little magnetic base external antennas from the Telstra shop. Just pop it on the roof and it seems to increase the range quite a bit.

There's also on glass ones.

The ho har's
2nd August 2009, 12:02 PM
with my next G phone I have a RFI Ind CD1250 elevated feed 5.0dB high gain antenna it sits on a magnetic base on top of our camper and we seem to reception just about everywhere around Aust:)

Mrs ho har:angel:

Kelly928
16th August 2009, 04:18 PM
So I ended up getting this 72cm nextG antenna off ebay for $83 delivered.

I routed the coaxial cable through the front grille then around and under the right hand side wing top.

Cable tied to heater box conduit then cut the top nipple and pushed cable through firewall into cabin.

Pulled cable through and routed it down the centre of the bulk head to the fuse box.

continued next post

Kelly928
16th August 2009, 04:40 PM
Cable then routed to left of fuse box and then under the vinyl on the side of the transmission tunnel.

Then I tucked cable under the chubby box. You can see the end of the cable with adapter next to diagnostics adapter.

I drilled the hole next to the diagnostics adapter just slightly so i can pull more cable through if i wanted to. The cable ends with a female FME adapter.

The antenna I bought did not have the adapter connected (but came with it) which was good because I needed to feed the cable through the hole (next to diagnostics adapter) first anyway then connected adapter.

Trickiest part i found was taking the dash apart and nearly ripped off centre fascia (the one with stereo in it, 2003 TD5 110) before I discovered that the top dash needs to come off first then centre fascia then the main moulding with the vents.

The patch lead then connects the my Telstra Easy touch discovery (ZTE brand) to the antenna cable. :)

Time consuming but straight forward install. Just remember what screws go where when taking dash apart.

I have also installed the TM2 Engine saver and will post install soon.

juddy
17th August 2009, 06:26 AM
Can you get car kit for the iphone??

Captain_Rightfoot
17th August 2009, 06:37 AM
Well done Kelly.

I must admit I mounted mine in the same spot but ran it under the car and in through the factory grommit under the cubby box. I was also using that for the UHF and it was pretty easy :)

Kelly928
17th August 2009, 07:00 AM
Well done Kelly.

I must admit I mounted mine in the same spot but ran it under the car and in through the factory grommit under the cubby box. I was also using that for the UHF and it was pretty easy :)

Actually I would have done exactly the same but was installing Engine saver at the same time so thought why not since I had the dash apart.