PDA

View Full Version : Fitted a Winch bar

RichardK
9th August 2009, 09:30 PM
Had a couple of days annual leave which was used to fit an ARB winch bar to the new D3, not an easy job but finally got done and installed my hydraulic winch. Next weekend I will install the pump and drive take off.

daveyb
19th August 2009, 08:03 AM
Well done Richard! How difficult is it to remove? I want to replace my steel cable with synthetic and it looks like the bumper needs to come off. Post up some pictures when your done.

Cheers,

Dave

RichardK
19th August 2009, 09:36 PM
Shouldn't be that difficult, 8 bolts and disconnecting any wiring if I remember correctly. I will post some pics on the weekend. I think you should be able to acess the winch drum from under and behind to fix the end of the winch cable.

Dave, noticed your avatar, I got my set last week, I am still working out how to get the rear ones on.

daveyb
20th August 2009, 07:32 AM
For the rears, just slide under, lay on your back and there it is! Be sure to use a dose of silicone spray to help get the old off and the new on. I find that disconnecting the rod from the frame hanger first works better so I have better access to the sensor mounted end. Let me know how it goes. Cheers!!

rmp
20th August 2009, 06:12 PM
Well done Richard! How difficult is it to remove? I want to replace my steel cable with synthetic and it looks like the bumper needs to come off. Post up some pictures when your done.

Cheers,

Dave

You don't need to remove the winch to replace the cable. Just take off the lower bashplate and you can access the winch that way. Freespool the wire rope off, and you'll find it will be attached to the drum with a small bolt or hex, forget which. Undo that and it's off. The replacement rope should have a similar bolt, if not one from your box'o'bits will do.