PDA

View Full Version : Stale fuel

lro11
12th August 2009, 03:32 PM
Has anyone had any experiences with fuel additives to stop fuel going stale?

KEV0044
12th August 2009, 06:37 PM
Diesel or ULP ?
What size tank ?
What type of boat ?
How often do you use it ?

disco gazza
13th August 2009, 06:38 PM
Unfortunately I havent used my big boat(Vickers 5.5mtr easyrider) for over 2 years...................:o

But I have used my runabout in the last few weeks:D:p

disco gazza
92 disco tdi

lro11
13th August 2009, 06:49 PM
Diesel or ULP ?
What size tank ?
What type of boat ?
How often do you use it ?

PULP
180ltrs
Sportfish supervee
lets just say the fuel cost 80c per litre and tomorrow will be the first time in the water for two years

CraigE
13th August 2009, 11:15 PM
I would be thinking it needs draining and changing. I do not think it is worth the risk if you are going out to sea. On a lake or a river may not be such an issue as long as you have a retrieval plan. May be ok for old bikes and cars??
I am fairly sure PULP really only has a shelf life of about 3 months and progressivelly loses its Octane rating.

lro11
14th August 2009, 08:19 AM
I am not worried about the fuel that was in it I have drained it, I would not risk expensive motor on $60 worth of stale fuel.
The MSDS says 12 months

KEV0044
14th August 2009, 06:11 PM
I am not worried about the fuel that was in it I have drained it, I would not risk expensive motor on $60 worth of stale fuel.
The MSDS says 12 months
Now I'm confused .

lro11
16th August 2009, 07:53 PM
Has anyone had any experiences with fuel additives to stop fuel going stale?

The key word you must of missed is "STOP" fuel going stale why would anyone try and add something to stale fuel to make it good.

CraigE
17th August 2009, 06:15 PM
Now I'm confused .
The MSDS does say 12 months, that is correct, but that is from date of production, not sale date. It can be weeks or months even before fuel reaches the end user. I would use PULP asap rather than try and store it. Personally I have had PULP become unuseable after 5 months from purchase.

KEV0044
17th August 2009, 07:40 PM
The key word you must of missed is "STOP" fuel going stale why would anyone try and add something to stale fuel to make it good.
Ok :)
That has clarrified the situation .
But in that case I can't be of any help .
I've topped up small fuel tanks in tinnies with high octane ulp with good results .
But I'm talking about small fuel tanks for tinnies used in freshwater situations with a back up electric motor and Oars if all else fails :D