PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy tents - Brisbane?

Ranga
14th August 2009, 10:23 AM
OK, I've decided on either a Black Wolf Turbo tent or an OzTent. I'd like to compare the 2 in person, and take some measurements.

Any idea of the best place to do this in Brisbane, that also has competitive pricing?

solmanic
14th August 2009, 11:39 AM
Down Under camping at Salisbury (on Beaudesert Rd) usually has good Oz-Tent deals. When I say "good" I mean at least a little bit less expensive than other places - they occasionally offer bigger discounts but you would have to take your chances.

I have noticed Anaconda occasionally do deals on Black Wolf tents, but again like any quality product the discounts are usually rare and minor.

IceFyre
14th August 2009, 12:16 PM
Tentworld (http://www.tentworld.com.au/) is a good store as well for tents. And as competitively priced as they get.

Don't get me started on Anaconda. Their 'sales' almost only ever happen on their in-house crappy brands.

solmanic
14th August 2009, 12:30 PM
... (http://www.tentworld.com.au/)Don't get me started on Anaconda. Their 'sales' almost only ever happen on their in-house crappy brands.

True, but, in June they had a general 30% off sale and that was on just about everything. My wife picked up a brilliant Columbia ski jacket for $mega off.

JLo
14th August 2009, 12:39 PM
You could also try Anaconda for Black Wolf. They aways have sales and I got close to 45% off my Black Wolf Turbo. They have stores in Qld but don't know their locations compared to your locn.

Cheers
JLo

WhiteD3
14th August 2009, 12:43 PM
I bought a Black Wolf Turbo 270 earlier this year from Down Under camping in Moss St, Slacks Creek. As good a price as I could get anywhere. "The Great Escape" camping store is across the road for anything they don't have.

IceFyre
14th August 2009, 12:50 PM
Alright I will relay my Black Wolf and Anaconda story ... its a good one no bitching :)

Bought a BlackWolf Turbo 300 and they beat the Tentworld price by 10% - so that was $809 I paid.

After speaking to Blackwolf I wanted the new 2009 model with a few extra changes that were worth it .. so since I never used the tent Anaconda agreed to just refund my money order in a new one and pay for it when it comes in.

The young chap stuffed the refund and refunded the before discount price so I got $899 back.

When my new tent came in I went in and picked it up, another young chap scanned it in wrong and it came up as $259 .. I wasn't one to argue as I am such an agreeable bloke .. so away I went ..

So the final outcome was I got a brand new $1400 RRP tent for $169

Ranga
14th August 2009, 01:24 PM

Lucky bugger! How did you stop yourself from running out of the store!?

IceFyre
14th August 2009, 01:31 PM
Lucky bugger! How did you stop yourself from running out of the store!?

Well I was sweating it a bit ... lol

But I thought they are the ones who have stuffed this not me, so I shouldn't be worried.

Oh and on the Blackwolf ... Brilliant tent .. I used mine every night for a month on the CCCCC trip. Found that you can leave the fly on and pack the tent up ... Whole thing including fly .. up in no more than 5 mins.

JLo
14th August 2009, 07:34 PM
....So the final outcome was I got a brand new $1400 RRP tent for $169

Careful of the thing called karma, it may come back to bite you :(

WhiteD3
14th August 2009, 07:52 PM
Alright I will relay my Black Wolf and Anaconda story

Ha...funny how people can have different experiences. Went to buy my Black Wolf....Anaconda had the sale on....I knew they had one on the shelf....got there at 0830, waited for 40 minutes for service (would have been max 10 people in the store)......no luck, went to leave and the lady at the door said "thanks for coming"....I let rip (politely) re the service or lack there of......the answer came back "we only have minimal staff on in the mornings".....I replied "I thought this was a sale day", etc....left, they lost the sale.

IceFyre
14th August 2009, 08:04 PM
heheh .. that was my good experience with Anaconda .. they lost a $2500 sale from me because the store manager couldn't take the time to work out the layby system ... the store flunkies couldn't work it out so they asked him .. he said he didn't have the time so I said well if you don't then I don't have the time to buy this $2500 worth of stuff .. he said oh well .. so I said the same thing.. walked out and haven't shopped there since .. except for my BlackWolf ... so maybe Karma was on my side .. lol

Camo
18th August 2009, 03:40 PM
Alright I will relay my Black Wolf and Anaconda story ... its a good one no bitching :)

Bought a BlackWolf Turbo 300 and they beat the Tentworld price by 10% - so that was $809 I paid.

After speaking to Blackwolf I wanted the new 2009 model with a few extra changes that were worth it .. so since I never used the tent Anaconda agreed to just refund my money order in a new one and pay for it when it comes in.

The young chap stuffed the refund and refunded the before discount price so I got $899 back.

When my new tent came in I went in and picked it up, another young chap scanned it in wrong and it came up as $259 .. I wasn't one to argue as I am such an agreeable bloke .. so away I went ..

Wow.. glad I don't do business with you!:eek:

stevo68
18th August 2009, 03:43 PM

So the final outcome was I got a brand new $1400 RRP tent for $169 Bravo......bravo......so you probably cost some poor chap his job or a wage hit because you showed a lack of honesty.

Regards

Stevo

p38arover
19th August 2009, 10:57 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if what you did was actually illegal. - a bit like "stealing by finding".

You knew the salesman had made an error but you allowed him to continue. That's probably fraud - "When a person dishonestly gains a benefit or advantage from another person".

Ranga
20th August 2009, 06:03 AM

This isn't the tent you tried to sell me via PM for $1000 is it? :huh:

stevo68
20th August 2009, 10:00 AM

So the final outcome was I got a brand new $1400 RRP tent for $169Despite sometimes being labelled arrogant, beligerant, pig headed....and thats just from me ma :p.....I'm also an honest bloke and believe in the laws of the universe. Screw someone/ people over.....it will come and bite you in the ass......I think the edited/deleted posts show this quite clearly. This is what an honest person does.......

A few years ago at the GC 4WD show.....I bought my Waeco 60 litre fridge on credit card. Wasn't till I got home that I realised that that the $1400 fridge was charged out at something like $400. Now if I had the mentality shown here....I would have done cartwheels...glad I had stuck it to the "man"...........there loss my gain.......a bird to the sky......I think you get the message.

However I felt immediate guilt. Problem was I couldnt remember the name of the place I had bought them.......and the receipt was a plain one. Finally was able to track down via my credit card company and paid the full amount. The company was very happy...moreso the bloke who had made the error as had been copping heat over his stuff up.

This sort of thing is character defining or character destroying....we all have a choice at the time,

Regards

Stevo

Outlaw
20th August 2009, 10:08 AM

This isn't the tent you tried to sell me via PM for $1000 is it? :huh:
awwwww that's a classic and probably spot on
:Rolling: :Rolling: :Rolling: :Rolling: :Rolling:

VladTepes
20th August 2009, 11:09 AM
When we bought our Black Wolf Turbo 300, Anaconda had it on sale. We are very happy with it.

IceFyre - you suck. I think we all agree! LOL. Cheers

Newbs-IIA
20th August 2009, 01:54 PM
I know it's a bit of a drive but come and see me at BCF Keperra (cnr Samford & Settelment Rd) you won't miss my old ex-army IIA landrover parked out the front :angel:

I will be at work at BCF tonight form 4-9pm or all day saturday so come in and see me and i'll try to stitch up a deal for you ;) (unfortunatly I can't guarentee anything as i'm not the manager but we should be able to move a bit on the price)

My preference would be an OzTent, they are better made, easier and quicker to put up and very well catered for in aftermarket upgrades. Go an RV-4 or RV-5 and if you need more room get the deluxe (peaked) side panel kit and front panel kit. The OzTent is also one of the few tents which are extreamly easy to get back into the bag :D (unlike the bloody turbo lite tents)

We have both on display in store and as much as i would like to sit here typing all the info on both tents it is best to come in and have a chat to us :)

once we have finished talking tents we can talk Landys :p

Cheers Jack

(look for John when at BCF)

Ranga
20th August 2009, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the offer... and bringing the thread back on topic! :D

What I liked about the BW tent was the ability to store it inside the vehicle. The Oztents basically have to be stored on a roof rack, which is a little more trouble, and not secure when the vehicle is not attended.

Anyway, the best price I can get for a BW Turbo Plus 300 is about $1120 from Anaconda (after price matching minus 10%). If you can compete with that, I'd rather throw the sale your way.

Regardless, thanks for the offer and advice! :cool:

VladTepes
20th August 2009, 03:53 PM
I've had no probs getting the Turbo 300 (not that stupid - lite version) back in the bag ?!

Newbs-IIA
21st August 2009, 10:04 PM
Cheers mate, thats a pretty good price on a Turbo 300, doubt we would be able to match that plus we haven't got any in stock of those at the moment :(

The OzTents are designed to go on a roof rack, the bag is designed to be out in the weather like that but put the zipper facing down if there is a chance of rain just to be sure. Just strap a good bike lock around the tent and the roof racks to keep it secure. That is the advice we at a store level got straight from the OzTent rep. You are pretty well limited to the size you start with with the BW tent whereas as I said before you have alot more options with the OzTent in how you set it up. If you factor in the set up/pack down times for both tents you will probably find that there is bugger all difference when you add the extra time to put the OzTent on the roof rack versus in the car as the Oztent is alot quicker to set up and pack away (including back into bag) than the BW. They don't call them the 30second tent for nothing ;). Being on the outside of the car also gives it easy acess if you want to pull up at pretty short notice after driving all day for a short sleep - don't have to unpack the car to get the tent out, just pull it off the roof racks and setup in 30seconds :)

Nothing wrong with the BW tents, they are also very well made and designed for a quick setup (i'm sure you've seen the videos on the blackwolf website - if not, go check them out). You will be very happy with either tent and should get good use out of it for at least 10 years depending on how much you camp (i have heard of more, again especially for oztents). Both companys, but especially oztent, offer great after sale service. If you have any problems with the tent either take it back to the store of purchase or get straight onto the manufacturer and they will look after you as each want to keep up their good image.

Yea Vlad... I had a bad experience with a Turbo Lite 270 which wouldn't go back into the bag after a customer returned it

Cheers, have fun camping :)