PDA

View Full Version : Help - D3 Tow bars and Trailer braking modules

ibbertson
2nd September 2009, 01:11 PM
Hi All,

i am trying to find someone that will fit the cable harness and trailer braking module for a D3.
I have tried ARB in Capalaba in QLD and they won't do it as they heard of the cable loom causing problems with the other electronics on the D3.

I did phone up the Landrover Dealership in Brissie and the service guy says we can do it no problem but it be around $1100 with me still supplying the module. ( I asked him to repeat that as i thought i must of misheard him).

Any D3 owners around Brisse or the gold coast that can point me in the right direction?

Also where can i source a towball piece that is higher than the standard LR one as its way to low for the double axle trailer i want to tow around for work.

The D3 i have purchased does seem to have various cable looms added and talking to the dealer i bought it off has had some mods done to it.
As it does have a second battery fitted into it which i found mounted on the left hand side of the engine.

I need to find some one who can work out what looms are there and what they are for and what i require to get the trailer braking module installed (might even be there as i don't know what i should be looking at to check)
Thanks

Ibbertson

seano87
2nd September 2009, 01:15 PM
No idea about the trailer braking, but re: the tow bar, search this forum for Mitchell Bros tow hitch. It has been discussed many times before and the Mitchell Bros seems to be a well regarded solution to the very low genuine LR option.

Seano

Bushwanderer
2nd September 2009, 03:51 PM
Hi ibbetson,
I took sniegy's instructions
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/d3-zone/51521-electric-trailer-brake-wired-photo.html
to my auto electrician (as he hadn't wired one for a D3 before).

It has worked flawlessly. :clap2:

Subsequently, Catweasel has stated that the diode isn't necessary, but I don't know if different wiring is required.

I also recommend the Mitchell Bros hitch. :BigThumb:

HTH,
Peter

bobzed57
2nd September 2009, 05:59 PM
Not much good to you, but my auto elec here in Canberra did a great job on the trailer brake controller, so they're out there.

+2 for the Mitch hitch. Took my camper for one lap around the block with the OEM hitch and I knew it had to go.

Cheers

Timj
2nd September 2009, 06:59 PM
Hi Ibbertson,

Which dealer did you talk to? I got mine done by Southside (they still have the service dept even though there is no sales yard). Even though they are supposed to be part of the Austral group they seem to be a little different and better than Austral. I think the cost was around $600 with me providing the Prodigy. Still expensive but since it involves pulling trim out to lay the cables I figured it was worth getting them to do it.

TimJ.

Timj
2nd September 2009, 07:32 PM
And a vote for the Mitchell Brothers Hitch as well. According to their web site British Offroad now stock the MBH though they are up at Forest Glen.

TimJ.

MitchellBros4x4
2nd September 2009, 08:42 PM
Caver D3 here.:D

Mitchell Bros has a few distributors.
Ring Aaron and ask for the one nearest you.
They should be able to install too.

rmp
3rd September 2009, 07:37 AM
Just get the Mitch Hitch, it's the best. LR should adopt it as their own.

ozscott
3rd September 2009, 10:50 AM
Redlands 4WD Centre in Capalaba did one recently - took a while to sort but I understand that they have it now.

Cheers

shining
4th September 2009, 12:07 PM
Just ordered one from there (British Off Road) myself. They are very good with postage (and the occassional return) I am in central NSW and recommend them highly as a supplier.

ibbertson
5th September 2009, 09:46 AM
Thanks Guys for the info and pointers.

I did have a guy up at Cleveland quoting on a height adjustable tow hitch which was custom made for around $380. It raised the height of the tow ball around 200 mm but the max down weight was only 150 kgs.

I gave Mitchell Bros a bell this morning and found out the down weight on their towball was 350kg so no comparison.

Aaron wasn't in this morning but im told be be back in on tuesday so i give him a ring then.

I just want the best solution as i will be towing a twin axle off road trailer which is around 600-700kg unloaded and around 1600kg fully loaded.
As i work in broadcast i go around to remote sites around Aus installing DTV transmitters for WIN and PRIME.

Some of the access tracks are steep and to be honest shockers even dry.

Another question when towing off road and the air suspension raising the D3 do i need a configuration where i can adjust the tow hitch accordingly to offset the D3being raised to the trailer or will the D3 suspension handle the load without any worries.

I always travel with caution up these tracks as i carry $100ks worth of test equipment and transmiters.

I used to have a Pajero but the floating rear axle popped out a couple of times and i was concerned the Pajero just didn't have the grunt pulling the trailer off road.

I also try Redlands 4wd on monday as they are closed on sat.

Thanks for the help guys and any other pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Being a pom i always wanted a disco since i was in my teens and so far it has met all my expectations.

Thanks

ibbertson

gps-au
5th September 2009, 11:52 AM
I ended up buy a Hayman Reese adjustable height tongue, cost me around $120, rated @ 2000kg. I shorten the square tubing and put a new hitch pin hole in. This brought the ball down to nearly (not quite) the original height but damn close enough for my easytrailer....

NB: the square tubing is NOT 50mm its 52mm, and the mitchell hitch is designed for 52mm.... very convenient.

Available from Repco, Auto One, etc.... (I use Auto one as they never mind me bargaining :-)

BTW, I did investigate the "Rapid Hitch" but found they would not provide enough drop for one of my setups, and the under ball clearance aint that good either.

Brick
5th September 2009, 04:15 PM
Ibbertson,

I can only second the guys re:Mitchell hitch. I tow a tandem trailer loaded with 4 full size quads, spares, fuel and a roof top tent around the countryside and have not had a problem.

Also fitted my Prodigy EBC myself following the instructions posted by sneigy. Works perfectly. If an accountant can do it, anyone can.

Cheers,

Petian
16th September 2009, 08:36 AM
What is involved with fitting the hitch, as the plough just needs to go?

Bushwanderer
16th September 2009, 04:21 PM
It's really simple to fit, using existing mounting points. All fixtures & fittings are included.

CaverD3
16th September 2009, 08:26 PM
If fitting yourself make sure you tighten all the bolts well and re-tighten after first use.

gps-au
16th September 2009, 10:23 PM
What is involved with fitting the hitch, as the plough just needs to go?

Its really SIMPLE !!

Follow the instructions and pictures which comes with it. Took me all of 30 minutes and that was mainly dealing with undoing and moving the trailer electrics out of the way of your tools and putting the back again.

I do reckon that an 8 yo would be better at it as their fingers are just more dexterous.