PDA

View Full Version : freelander 1 td4 servicing

davesq
2nd September 2009, 09:34 PM
Hi Guys, got a question about servicing my 2006 freelander 1 td4

had the 100 000k service done a few months ago, was told my next service (120 000) would be expensive as they would need to replace the timing belt. I was asked to ring & when booking I would be quoted a cost for the service.

Now due for 120 service & as asked I rang for a quote, was told $950. I then asked if that included the timing belt replacement, the guy said no, put me on hold & came back & said $1200. I hung up & rang another dealer & got the same cost ($950) for the 120 service. I then asked if that price included the timing belt, again was told no & asked to wait on hold. When this guy came back I was told the td4 does not have a timing belt, it has a timing chain, which doesn't need to be replaced. The v6 has a belt which does need to be replaced.

Could one of you knowledgible people out there in the interweb please confirm (or refute?) that my td4 has a chain?

many thanks in advance

Dave

101RRS
2nd September 2009, 10:27 PM
The TD4 has a timing chain and does not require planned servicing. The earlier L series diesel has a timing belt that is to be replaced every 80,000km.

Garry

davesq
2nd September 2009, 10:41 PM
thanks garry. I knew someone here would know

Jojo
3rd September 2009, 05:11 PM
As said, the Td4 has a chain, no timing belt. Doing the servicing is not too advanced, most of it, if not all, you could easily do yourself, or with little help of a mate with some experience. This will save you a buck or two.

Cheers

davesq
3rd September 2009, 10:11 PM
it's a company car jojo, work pays so it's no skin off my nose. I just don't have the spare time to muck around with the servicing.

Dave

PaulP38a
4th September 2009, 12:47 AM
it's a company car jojo, work pays so it's no skin off my nose. I just don't have the spare time to muck around with the servicing.

Maybe I've got it wrong... My Range Rover is a company car but I do most of the servicing myself... my wife's FL TD4 is private but so far I've had it serviced by others... do I have spare time? Certainly not, but I make/sacrifice time as the need arises. Then again, it is my company, my nose and my skin so it matters a lot to me. I'd like to think that my employees share a sense of ownership and responsibility too.. yes they do actually, which is why they are still employees:D
To each their own I say. Driving a LR is half the fun, fixing it is the other ;)
Cheers, Paul.