PDA

View Full Version : Cheaper Roof Tents + -

juddy
4th September 2009, 07:53 AM
Are these things really any good???

I like the price, but are they well built, same gose for the awnings?????

Camo
4th September 2009, 08:13 AM

I dunno about putting a big heavy thing on the roof of my car. Will cause wind resistance... my rangie is flatout pushing itself along as it is:)

Camo

juddy
4th September 2009, 08:32 AM
yep. so is mine but going 10k slower, will not hurt things...

I dunno about putting a big heavy thing on the roof of my car. Will cause wind resistance... my rangie is flatout pushing itself along as it is:)

Camo

klappers
4th September 2009, 08:41 AM

I assume that you are talking about the ebay items? They look very similar to the ARB item and the Ironman roof top as well. The material is the same (so they say) and the size and shape seem about the same too. I am going to give one a crack I think, plus an awning! :angel:

juddy
4th September 2009, 09:03 AM
Yes the ebay ones indeed, Iwould like a hannibal set up but there tent comes in at 3k, plus 900 for a awning, GULP!!!!

I figure if iam only going to use it a few times a year then is it really worth spending all that money..

I assume that you are talking about the ebay items? They look very similar to the ARB item and the Ironman roof top as well. The material is the same (so they say) and the size and shape seem about the same too. I am going to give one a crack I think, plus an awning! :angel:

Psimpson7
4th September 2009, 09:04 AM
I have a Hannibal 1.4m and it was nowhere near $3k! It cost me about $2200 from memory, and that is with the extended fly option.

klappers
4th September 2009, 09:06 AM
Yes the ebay ones indeed, Iwould like a hannibal set up but there tent comes in at 3k, plus 900 for a awning, GULP!!!!

I figure if iam only going to use it a few times a year then is it really worth spending all that money..

I don't think that there is a doubt in my mind that the Hannibal gear will definitely be better. But you know what?? I could buy three of these "cheaper" roof tops for the price of one hannibal, and like you said, if you are only going to really use it a couple of times a year I cant see a problem. If I was going to go around Australia, then I would spend the cash on a Hannibal, but atm, I think I am better off spending my cash on other mods, like fridge and draws and suspension etc...

Psimpson7
4th September 2009, 09:15 AM
I would say give them a go.

I looked at all the main players before I bought mine and the Hannibal, Eezi-Awn and Howling moon all look good.

The ARB one looks ok. the canvas is thinner than the above 3 tho I seem to recall.

They all have things that could be improved though.

For instance the exteded fly frame on mine annoys the hell out of me so I remade a lot of it. The ladder on the Howling moon is better than the Hannibal too as I think from memory it fits under the tent cover when its folded up, which mine doesnt.

For the cost I reckon the ebay ones may be ok

strangy
4th September 2009, 09:51 AM
I have the rooftop tent, awning with screen room & bottom tent from Pinnacle Wholesalers.
They boast these to be the same as the ARB Simpson 2. Both made in China.

After closely looking at the $4200 + freight ARB package and asking a a traveller with the Pinnacle gear for look. I took a punt on the Pinnacle . Surprise it is the same. I cannot find one thing different (except the label) and am very happy with the gear. And nearly a third of the price.
Mine sits on Rhino racks and easily transfers from Trailer to Disco depending on where and what we are doing. I needed the ladder extension for the Disco's lift.

I suppose it comes down to what you feel comfortable with, but for $1600 compared to $4200 for the same gear my choice was easy.
Cheers

klappers
4th September 2009, 10:00 AM
Website???

Redback
4th September 2009, 10:07 AM
Here ya go

Pinnacle Wholesalers (http://www.pinnaclewholesalers.com.au/)

Baz.

klappers
4th September 2009, 10:13 AM
all i can find is the trailer tent....

klappers
4th September 2009, 10:14 AM
It would appear that they no longer sell the roof top tents...

strangy
4th September 2009, 10:18 AM
Mine was bought 3 months ago. Maybe give em a call see what they have in stock?

richard4u2
4th September 2009, 10:48 AM
would you be better off hireing different ones to find one you like , to see if you like that sort of thing for camping

klappers
4th September 2009, 11:00 AM
That is true.. but where would you hire roof top tents from to hire in WA??

juddy
4th September 2009, 11:49 AM
Is that your 110 DC?

Mulgo
4th September 2009, 12:00 PM
If it has to be a roof top tent - it has to be an Eezi Awn.

If you want an awning - Hannibal.

Cheers,
Daniel

Andy2.4
4th September 2009, 01:33 PM
Juddy: Yes it was mine before I sold it in Dubai before moving over here. It was a genuine Tomb Raider 110 DC. The mrs had a 90td5 also which had to go as well.

Selling both helped with buying the 2008 Puma 110 so can't complain too much. I'll try to dig out some camping trip pics in Dubai and Oman before we left.

longreach
4th September 2009, 04:01 PM
:)you can get the roof top tents on ebay,for about $700 or cheaper..........I bought mine on ebay,if you look at the old threads on this site you will see photos of the tent

klappers
4th September 2009, 04:07 PM
:)you can get the roof top tents on ebay,for about $700 or cheaper..........I bought mine on ebay,if you look at the old threads on this site you will see photos of the tent

Any problems????

All good?

richard4u2
4th September 2009, 06:48 PM
That is true.. but where would you hire roof top tents from to hire in WA??
they were in burswood rd vic park cant remember thier name dont know if they are still there

jerryd
4th September 2009, 10:46 PM
There's an aussie traveller tent with annexe etc for sale at Tarree nsw, they want $1500 for it.

I can pass on details if anybody wants them.

land864
4th September 2009, 11:02 PM
Juddy

I arranged for 6 people at LROCV to buy the $ 750 ones from ARCO? design off ebay.

He is near my work in Mulgrave Vic.

I have nothing to do with him commercially whatsoever.

I was at the Melbourne 4x4 show tonight and honestly the more expensive ones didn't look that much better. There obviously must be something but not sure what.

The ARCO ones are made in Sth Africa ( at least that's what it says on the box)

The material is 13 oz ripstop and the bolts and fittings are mainly stainless.

I am about to take mine out to Central Oz for 3 weeks as of next Saturday for my two kids at 16 yo and 14yo to sleep in.

I will let you know how it goes.

I left it up on a shocker of a night when I first fitted it about 3 weeks ago and it fared okay. No damage , didn't collapse or tear or anything!

Send the guy an email if you like.

His name is Iury.

Pete G

longreach
5th September 2009, 10:44 AM
:D
Any problems????

All good?
:Dno never had a problem with mine,we had a storm over it xmas before last ,and it was ok then......yes and good sort of tent.

juddy
8th September 2009, 11:17 AM
Well had alook at the Gordigear range of tents, awnings etc, and very good indeed. Roof tent, awning, and tent skirt about 1800, Hannibal for the same set up is 4500...... so a bit of a difference there....