PDA

View Full Version : Portable gas barbeques

onemore
12th September 2009, 01:15 AM
I am looking to buy a portable gas barbeque to take down the beach, something that will fit in the back of the rangie, but not having a lot of luck in my search.
Does anyone use one that they can recomend, please.

Cheers,
Mike

langy
12th September 2009, 01:29 AM
I have one of these - (Hot ozi)

Gasmate barbecues, outdoor heating, camping and leisure (http://www.sitro.com.au/sub_categories/17/products/26)

I got mine at BCF - it comes in a 40x40x5 box (Not inc gas bottle). It's a basic design, and can do with some mods ( some shim between the shaft and top assembly so it doesn't wobble as much). Otherwise, I can't fault it.

Remy
12th September 2009, 06:39 AM
I use the same one "hot ozi" packs small and cooks great. In fact i now use it in my camper trailer to cook for the whole family (5).

101 Ron
12th September 2009, 06:45 AM
The Aussie made Weber Q is the best thing around and just cooks great.
The problem is the price.
But it will last for a very long time.
Available in three different sizes and has many options .
The hood set up allows extremely quick cooking times if required as well as baking food.
There are a few cheaper throw offs of the weber.......I do not know how they perform.

eb220
12th September 2009, 06:59 AM
It is a little on the larger side, but Bunnings $99 two burner BBQ.
We use one, fits nicely in the back, and the legs fold up so the height ends up being about 20 - 25 cm tall.

Chris

awabbit6
12th September 2009, 07:31 AM
We use a Primus 2 burner stove
BCF - Product Details (http://store.bcf.com.au/ProductDetails.aspx?PLU=300417)

With a hotplate on top.

lokka
12th September 2009, 09:46 AM
It is a little on the larger side, but Bunnings $99 two burner BBQ.
We use one, fits nicely in the back, and the legs fold up so the height ends up being about 20 - 25 cm tall.

Chris

I have the same BBQ and cant fault it and for the price its great and being flat will cook eggs and have no run off problems :D

cartm58
12th September 2009, 10:17 AM
Personally prefer the 3 burner Coleman duel fuel stove, burns on about any liquid fuel, has 2 burners for hot plate for BBQ and 1 burner for kettle or pot for steaming veggies.

As it burns hotter than gas BBQ cooks quicker and uses less fuel

Dont need a gas bottle as fuel container will last about 2 hours cooking time or you carry a 10 litre container smaller and more compact than gas bottle for extended camping

Buy a fold up coleman oven and can even cook cakes and roasts while using other burners for cooking

Great with wok for asian style meals as well due to high heat on flame

Use wok with oil and have fish and chips in the bush something you cant do on other cookers

If 3 burner too big for your space get the 2 burner model

waynep
12th September 2009, 04:50 PM
Weber Baby Q or Q300
Exxy but good.
Useful at home too - we do most of our roasts in it.

sam_d
12th September 2009, 05:38 PM
I've got one of these (http://www.sitro.com.au/sub_categories/17/products/26) Gasmate Rio things. IT does the trick quite well and works without the stand if you can't be arsed packing it all.

disco_mitch
12th September 2009, 05:46 PM
ill back up duel fuel all the way....why

my brother bought one first
than i bought one to
than i ran over mine
so i bought anather
why did i buy anather

i dont have to take gas bottles
i dont worry about anather gas hose blowing in my face
dual fuel is the safest stove you will find
i ran mine on diesel once
ran it on 2stroke boat fuel
it is hotter than any gas stove to

inside
13th September 2009, 12:42 PM
Personally prefer the 3 burner Coleman duel fuel stove, burns on about any liquid fuel, has 2 burners for hot plate for BBQ and 1 burner for kettle or pot for steaming veggies.
Me too on this. The dual fuel Coleman stoves are excellent bits of gear and as said the lack of gas bottle is a big plus.

adonuff
21st September 2009, 03:27 PM
Hi could not agree more have had the Colman Stuff for years, Single burner stove & twin burner stove, Folding colman oven and 2 duelfuel lanterns. Only need to carry a small amount of petrol and you have all your cooking and lighting covered.
Spent two weeks away with another couple and cooked 3 meals a day, plus coffee & tea whenever requested and only used 3 lt of petrol. Hate to think how many gas bottles I would have gone trough.
The lanterns can be a bit tricky to light but fine if you get a box of the long matches for lighting BBQ's. Also with the lanterns you need to carry a few replacement mantles, If you pack them carfuly the mantles can last for several trips after they have been used.

The folding ovens work great and take up no space. Unfortunatly I think these have been discontinued, but have still seen a few in country shops.

Andrew

Ace
26th September 2009, 02:40 PM
We bought one of the Cruiser BBQ's in the link Langy posted, very good BBQ. Legs fold up and it just goes in the back of the car, heats up quick and the thinner plate cools down very quick aswell. Is good to touch within a few mins of turning off, so you dont have to worry to much about packing hot things into the car.

Gasmate barbecues, outdoor heating, camping and leisure (http://www.sitro.com.au/sub_categories/17/products/26)

onemore
26th September 2009, 03:56 PM
Aldi have got one going for $95 I will see how that goes, for that price I consider it disposable!

Chops
26th September 2009, 04:26 PM
Aldi have got one going for $95 I will see how that goes, for that price I consider it disposable!

Have you got a pic? :)

jazzaD1
26th September 2009, 11:50 PM
on the last otways trip in may, i took a $20 bunnings el-cheapo butane stove, NEVER AGAIN!!!! i swear it too 40 minutes to cook a piece of bacon, scratch that, cook is too good a word, more like warm up lol

im definitely getting a decent one for next time

101 Ron
27th September 2009, 11:16 AM
The Bunnings/ K mart single burner stoves for 20 dollars work OK during summer .but are a waste of time when temperatures really drop as the butane cans seem to freeze up or work poorly.
If you can afford it the Weber Q range is excellent and sits well on the tailgate of the 4by, or use the folding stand for it.
Tough and simple.
I found the true value in the Weber is it now has replaced the gas barbeque at home.
The hood greatly reduces cooking times so the small size of the thing is not a problem.
I find the even cooking makes for flavor.
The weber comes in three diiferent sizes......enough to suit every one.
Costs more .....works better.....uses less gas.......cooks differently and better....portable and can bake food very well too.
Aussie made.

101 Ron
27th September 2009, 11:20 AM
Amazon.com: Weber Q 200 Portable Propane Grill, Silver Series: Patio, Lawn & Garden

101 Ron
27th September 2009, 11:29 AM
Weber Q 220 Portable Grill - Portable Gas Grill Review (http://bbq.about.com/od/portablegrillreviews/gr/aapr060304a.htm)

Disco_Dan
10th October 2009, 12:13 PM
hahaha mitch i remember those two stroke 2 minute noodles =]

Chenz
13th October 2009, 04:51 PM
I have had the same BBQ Galore three legged BBQ for years. It packs up into a small box and I have even made a small modification using a bit of gal sheet metal which I sit the wok on to cook stir fries or deep fry or what ever.

Get the H shaped burner which gives even heat on the cast plate. There are some that just have a ring which turns the centre into a charcoal special while the outside is stone cold.

[img=http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/4554/139b.jpg] (http://img97.imageshack.us/i/139b.jpg/)

Bushwanderer
15th October 2009, 04:14 PM
Be careful with gal. When heated, the gal forms zinc oxide, which is poisonous.

Tote
15th October 2009, 07:06 PM
We have a coleman grill stove with a grill plate and a burner. I'm rather fond of their disposable bottles which are nice and compact to pack in a vehicle and don't dent things like a large gas bottle. $8.00 each and we get at least 3 nights cooking out of a bottle. I've also got a gas lamp that uses the same bottles.
It suits our style of camping where we usually spend a few nights camping on a trip then go to a motel when travelling. I also got a solid bbq plate to use instead of the grill if I want.
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/images/products/9921-750_500.jpg

Regards,
Tote