PDA

View Full Version : Continental Tyres ??

gps-au
16th September 2009, 10:13 PM
Today I suffered a tyre failure which so far looks a bit different...

Its a Continental AT, and has a vertical slit on the inside wall. I haven't found anything else wrong with the tyre yet (its still on its rim) hanging on the back of the vehicle (which isn't with me tonight).

I suffered a second flat today which meant I had to use LR Assist for the first time, as I couldn't contact The RACQ...

Why no racq contact ? well no phone coverage ! (Not even NextG or MaxG). Fortunately the second flat wasn't completely flat when discovered and a quick trip changing sides of the Burdekin Falls Dam to the nearest telephone box, left me with some air still in the tyre. Where the crunch came was when I discovered the telephone box only accepted cards (no cash) and the emergency card I had in the vehicle had expired.....

Now did you know that telstra cards for telephone boxes expired by date ? (I didn't, which blew the reason for having it !!).

Yeah, I know, badly equipped for this trip.... No compressor (my air-off hasn't been installed yet), No HF installed yet (still gotta get the antenna post for the Kaymar bar), I buried my wheel brace in the wrong place when packing... found it eventually), but the exhaust jack did worked a treat ad much easier to use that the LR supplied unit, and the Kaymar Bar/rear carrier paid for itself, I didn't have to struggle with winding a damn wheel under the vehicle.... still getting there....

CaverD3
17th September 2009, 12:07 PM
Sounds fun. :D

Can you post a piccie?

If you think it may be a fault in the tyre get the tyre retailer to look at it and ask if could send it back to the supplier.

gps-au
17th September 2009, 09:35 PM
Sounds fun. :D

Oh, well a bit out of the ordinary :angel:

Can you post a piccie?

If I could work out how to post a piccie directly, I would, otherwise it will have to wait for a few days.

If you think it may be a fault in the tyre get the tyre retailer to look at it and ask if could send it back to the supplier.

Well today LR Assist approved the move of my D3 from Charters Towers to Townsville. Obviously there were no tyres in CT, but we did manage to locate a set in TVL. So they moved the D3 to the TVL tyre seller and I reshod the 4 on road wheels. Unfortunately I had to put on H/T's, I dont like running mixed tyres especially of different sizes. Again, details to follow in a few days.

New Rhino rails and 2 bars on the D3 today, I happen to fluke TJM here in TVL having a set for another customer who hadn't turned up yet, so they can restock. I put these on to carry the old 4 tyres including the 2 stuffed ones for later examination.

Couldn't find an aluminum flat floor rack (which is avail on order from rhino), so 4 pieces of wood approx 1.6M long with each having U-style bolts at the front attach to front cross rail) and the tyres can go on these in the morning for the trip to cairns.

CaverD3
17th September 2009, 09:48 PM
Glad you got the rails sorted.
Hope the rest of the trip is uneventful.:D