PDA

View Full Version : Rear Diff Problem

bigmac
1st October 2009, 09:17 PM
The TDV6 developed a winning noise last week after the 144,000 K service. On Tuesday it got worse so took it to the dealer, they took it for a test drive and said it could be the rear diff and could I leave it with them to have a look. They said that they had drained the oil and flushed it out but was still noisy and would need a new diff. I rang Land Rover Aust to see if they would cover it as a diff should last longer than that and it has not been worked very hard as most of the K's are done around town. They said No, so am not happy with them at the moment.
Do I have a case or not as the vehicle is not three years old but has done more than 100,000. Plus I am loosing money each day it is off the road.

Bigmac

CaverD3
1st October 2009, 10:23 PM
If you are using dealwe for servicing then it is better to get them to negotiate with LR.
There is a known issue with the diffs with oil contamination.

wardh
2nd October 2009, 07:26 AM
I have had both diffs replaced in my TDV6 D3. The first about 6 months ago (front diff) was in the warranty period, 90000Ks, 2 and 1/2 years old. This diff was changed after I noticed and reported a very slight oil mark appearing around the seal area from the diff to one of the front wheel axle's. I was told at the time that the whole diff had to be replaced because the seal was not available. Shortly after I found out about the diff paint lining oil contamination issue on this forum.

The 2nd one was changed just recently. The vehicle was under 100000Ks but 2 months over warranty. I had the dealer check for a whine that I thought was coming from the auto gearbox while the vehicle was in getting the Brake issue fixed (another story) They told me that it was the rear diff and that they had found metal in the oil.

I have had previous discussions with the dealer about the know problems with the diffs but they informed me they had no knowledge of any diff problems and had also checked this out with Land Rover.

Land Rover finally came to the party and supplied the diff but my extended warranty had to pick up the labour cost. The fight over the brakes recall issue was resolved with Land Rover finally replacing the pump, booster, cylinder and fitting the modified pipe line and they called it good will warranty, not the re-call.

I was without my vehicle for over a month and there was also ongoing problems and issues associated with the work that was done. (Bolts and screws not put back and missing from critical areas, clamps not tightened and other things) I still have the slight whine which I am convinced is the gearbox. I intend to have it flushed and the oil
changed but because of the bad taste still in my mouth about the other problems I had, I have to decide where or who is competent to carry out any future work and servicing.

bigmac, my advise would be to pursue your problem through your dealer and document every thing that you do and what is said, I would also politely inform them that you are willing to take the matter further though any available means.

Good Luck.

bigmac
5th October 2009, 09:20 PM
Thanks guys I am chassing it up through the dealer got the car back friday arvo
with the new diff in noise still there, taking it back tomorrow. As this is my work
vehicle it is costing me a lot in down time not happy.

Bigmac

Peter_OZ
11th October 2009, 08:06 PM
The TDV6 developed a winning noise last week after the 144,000 K service. On Tuesday it got worse so took it to the dealer, they took it for a test drive and said it could be the rear diff and could I leave it with them to have a look. They said that they had drained the oil and flushed it out but was still noisy and would need a new diff. I rang Land Rover Aust to see if they would cover it as a diff should last longer than that and it has not been worked very hard as most of the K's are done around town. They said No, so am not happy with them at the moment.
Do I have a case or not as the vehicle is not three years old but has done more than 100,000. Plus I am loosing money each day it is off the road.

Bigmac

would suggest that under "implied warranty" you do have a case. Google the term under Australian common law.
Best of luck