PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Budget Beer

Redback
21st October 2009, 07:13 PM
Well I decided I'd try a budget homebrew this time, so off to the supermarket and 2 tins of Farmland Lager, on special at $7.95, then down to the local brew shop and some dectrose/malt/corn syrup mix and Safale s.04 dry ale yeast.

Prepare all the gear, then put it down:D

This week it was ready for putting in the Kegs for carbonation, 30Kpa for 30hrs and done:twobeers:

Well I must say I'm impressed with how it has turned out, crisp and clear with a very nice bite to it, not the usual 1kg but 1.5kg of dectrose/malt and corn syrup.

I'll be doing this again, I have also bottled 9lts for later:D

Baz.

dobbo
21st October 2009, 07:20 PM
Is it worthy?

Ever tried spirits or wine?

I might try a wine

Redback
21st October 2009, 07:58 PM
Is it worthy?

Ever tried spirits or wine?

I might try a wine

Sometimes all at once:angel:

muddymech
21st October 2009, 08:01 PM
Sometimes all at once:angel:[PHP]

thats brewing not drinking:)

richard4u2
21st October 2009, 08:59 PM
would love to try breweing a wheet beer

Redback
22nd October 2009, 06:14 AM
[PHP]

thats brewing not drinking:)

Yes, I have a spirit in an oak barrel now;)

would love to try breweing a wheet beer

I have a wheat beer that I'm drinking now, Blackrock Wheat, not a bad drop:)

Baz.

Bigbjorn
22nd October 2009, 09:03 AM
I trid a few of the budget brands and some of the so-called "premium' brands over the years with mixed results. I pretty much use Coopers exclusively now and have for over twenty years. First choice is their real ale, then stout, draught, bitter, pale ale, dark ale. I make a better dark ale by using a real ale and 1kg of raw sugar and 0.5 kg rich brown sugar. I usually make stout with 2 kg raw sugar, or 1kg raw sugar and 1 kg rich brown sugar. I use the brew enhancer stuff to make pale ale, otherwise I use only raw and brown sugars.

steveG
22nd October 2009, 09:19 AM
I trid a few of the budget brands and some of the so-called "premium' brands over the years with mixed results. I pretty much use Coopers exclusively now and have for over twenty years. First choice is their real ale, then stout, draught, bitter, pale ale, dark ale. I make a better dark ale by using a real ale and 1kg of raw sugar and 0.5 kg rich brown sugar. I usually make stout with 2 kg raw sugar, or 1kg raw sugar and 1 kg rich brown sugar. I use the brew enhancer stuff to make pale ale, otherwise I use only raw and brown sugars.

I've also found the Coopers ones to be very consistent and easy to get a decent result straight out of the can.

Steve

Redback
22nd October 2009, 10:48 AM

The Coopers Real Ale and Stout are my favourites as well, but never tried them with raw and brown sugar, must give that a try.

I've also found the Coopers ones to be very consistent and easy to get a decent result straight out of the can.

Steve

This was just an experiment and it worked out well, better than I thought it would and when you consider the price, it's well worth it.

$15.90 for the kits

$15.00 for the sugar

$8.00 for the yeast.

that's $38.90 for 46lts of beer, which is approx 45cents a stubbie, not bad really and as Lagers go, it's on par with a Coopers Lager.

If you use the right sugas and yeasts, you can make any kit work well.

OK, next a Coopers Stout using raw and brown sugar should be interesting:D

Baz.

isuzurover
22nd October 2009, 03:20 PM
Interesting... Thanks for that!

I have had great results using coopers and Cascade kits, but usually add extra ingredients. Andy can tell you what he thought of my Chilli beer (based on a coopers pale ale).

I haven't tried brown sugar, but have used raw sugar a few times - it seems to add a fruity aftertaste. I have made my own Belgian Candi Sugar which is great stuff! Will try the brown sugar I think...

LandyAndy
22nd October 2009, 10:25 PM
Hey Dobbo
Wine??? How about Rhubarb Champagne???
Got a dead easy recipe that works well tastes good and is a pretty powerful drop.
Not suitable for bottleing due to explosion risk,needs to go into kegs for safety.
3 to 4kg of Rhubarb
4 or 6 lemons
4kg sugar
2 packs of bread yeast

Chop the Rhubarb into 1" pieces.Blanch a small amount at a time in boiling water.I throw 3 or 4 handfulls of Ruhbarb in the pan them stir then fish it out straight away with a sieve and throw it into the fermenter.Keep going till all the rhubarb is in the fermenter.

Quater the lemons,squeeze them into the bioling water,drop them into the boiling water.

Pour the 4kg of sugar into the fermenter.

Pour the boiling juice from the pan inc lemons into the fermenter.

Fill fermenter with cold water ASAP.

Add yeast when temp in fermenter drops below 26deg.

Brew for 3 weeks and keg.

Should be quite pink in colour,tastes very nice and is around 18% alc.

ENJOY BY THE PINTFULL:D:D:D
Andrew

dobbo
22nd October 2009, 10:31 PM
thanks Andy

worst case scenario, if we can't drink it just add WVO and run the Isuzu on it, it's run on worse.

numpty
27th October 2009, 07:09 PM
I've tried all the sugars in the past, with varying results and mainly use the Coopers brew enhancers these days. I too use mostly Coopers kits, but find the Tooheys ones quite good as well. Black Rock are also good brews. Real Ales, Bitters and Stouts, with the occasional Lager thrown in for variation.

For stout, try liquid dark malt and boil up some chocolate grain. I also add some lactose to stout.

garryc
27th October 2009, 07:21 PM
I've tried all the sugars in the past, with varying results and mainly use the Coopers brew enhancers these days. I too use mostly Coopers kits, but find the Tooheys ones quite good as well. Black Rock are also good brews. Real Ales, Bitters and Stouts, with the occasional Lager thrown in for variation.

For stout, try liquid dark malt and boil up some chocolate grain. I also add some lactose to stout.

You've just reminded me to start making stout again, thanks.:D I spent 3 years in Darwin and when back home in Adelaide I remembered that I had an old non working fridge in the corner of the garage. It was full of stout :p some of it 6 years old:o Found my recipe book and most were the same as you mentioned, dark malt and grain. It was all very nice even the 6 year old ones;)

woody
9th November 2009, 08:32 PM
You've just reminded me to start making stout again, thanks.:D I spent 3 years in Darwin and when back home in Adelaide I remembered that I had an old non working fridge in the corner of the garage. It was full of stout :p some of it 6 years old:o Found my recipe book and most were the same as you mentioned, dark malt and grain. It was all very nice even the 6 year old ones;)

G'day,

got put onto this by a bloke from Coopers, use two cans of Coopers Stout to 20 lt water, add both packets of yeast and ferment out
( no added sugars ):o

it turns out very close to Coopers Best Extra stout and only improves with age.

p.s don't be to concerned if it froths out the air lock ( like a volcano ):eek:

Vern
9th November 2009, 10:48 PM
how do you go brewing beer with less sugar, i would like to get into brewing beer but problem is i'm a Type1 Diabetic, so sugar is not my friend. I drink alot of the Blonde low carb type beers as they are easier for me to drink (believe me they are heaps better for my sugars, and i feel way better), and would like to brew something like this.
Any tips?:)

Bigbjorn
9th November 2009, 10:52 PM
how do you go brewing beer with less sugar, i would like to get into brewing beer but problem is i'm a Type1 Diabetic, so sugar is not my friend. I drink alot of the Blonde low carb type beers as they are easier for me to drink (believe me they are heaps better for my sugars, and i feel way better), and would like to brew something like this.
Any tips?:)

you can just use the can of the home brew kit and no sugar. It is pretty weak though, like less than 2%.

Vern
9th November 2009, 10:57 PM
2%:(, would have to use 2.5cans to get it strong enough:D, could live with 4%, i suppose i don't really drink beer to get drunk anymore (well i get a little bit drunk), i just like drinking beer:)

LandyAndy
9th November 2009, 11:01 PM
You can brew your own lo-carb.
I buy 750gm Diatose and Dry Enzyme.
This will give you both a lower carb and Dry style beer with around 4.8% alcahol.You can reduce the Diatose=less sugar/less alcahol.
Talk to a homebrew shop about it,they are great people to spend a hour or more with.
ENJOY
Andrew

Redback
10th November 2009, 07:34 AM
I'm going to be brewing my arse off in the next few months with all these new recipies:clap2::beer::spudnikhattip:

abaddonxi
10th November 2009, 09:11 AM
I'm going to be brewing my arse off in the next few months with all these new recipies:clap2::beer::spudnikhattip:

The home brew can get a bit gassy.

Redback
30th November 2009, 09:51 PM
G'day,

got put onto this by a bloke from Coopers, use two cans of Coopers Stout to 20 lt water, add both packets of yeast and ferment out
( no added sugars ):o

it turns out very close to Coopers Best Extra stout and only improves with age.

p.s don't be to concerned if it froths out the air lock ( like a volcano ):eek:

OK this recipe is brilliant:TakeABow::TakeABow: just carbonated the keg before I went away for the weekend and have just had my first taste tonight[bigsmile1][bigsmile1]:beer:now I can't wait for the bottles to come of age:banana:

I also put down a Real Ale, that is also sensational.

So next is the stout using raw and brown sugars, I love experimenting:ohyes:

Baz.

isuzutoo-eh
3rd December 2009, 09:25 PM
Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but I thought this was too awesome not to share and doesn't deserve its own thread:
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2009/12/1304.jpg
the bottles started out identical, on the right is my self-carbonating homebrew ginger beer :D :D
Thats a lot of pressure!

-Mark

Redback
4th December 2009, 06:32 PM
Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but I thought this was too awesome not to share and doesn't deserve its own thread:
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2009/12/1304.jpg
the bottles started out identical, on the right is my self-carbonating homebrew ginger beer :D :D
Thats a lot of pressure!

-Mark

Put a raincoat on when you open that:oops2::Rolling:

Rudolf
4th December 2009, 09:47 PM

Steve
Coopers popular over here too.

I am subscribed to the following site "Worthog Brewers" in RSA.
Loads of info.

WORT HOG BREWERS BEER BREWING CLUB - SOUTH AFRICA - BEER NATURALLY ! (HOMEPAGE) (http://www.worthogbrewers.co.za/)

Go to the following page for some links to Australia.

http://www.worthogbrewers.co.za/resources/links1.html#non_sa_homebrew_suppliers