PDA

View Full Version : Overdrive options

cammac91
5th December 2009, 05:22 PM
Hello,

Have been searching for an overdrive for a while to fit my S3. Have finally found a bloke with two overdrives to sell. One a Toro (i think) and one a Fairey. They both spin easily although the Toro one spins more freely. Both come with the respective transfer gears to connect with the transfer case.
I am aware that the Toro is supposedly the superior unit (bigger sump etc), however parts would be more difficult to obtain than the Fairey unit.
The one I choose comes with a Fairey Linkage (the bit that goes into the cab to engage the OD). Will the linkage made for the Fairey fit the Toro?

Which one should I buy?
Both are the same price. I can only afford one.
Any help is appreciated.

Thankyou
Cameron

Bearman
5th December 2009, 05:55 PM
Cameron,
The Toro unit is definitely the superior one. I would buy it if it is ok. Pretty sure the Fairey lever and linkage is the same......Brian

JDNSW
5th December 2009, 05:58 PM
Toro - parts are problematic, but you should never need any.

John

will d8r
13th December 2009, 03:27 PM
I have a S3 with a Fairy I always worry about running out of oil I've thought about making a spacer where the end cap bolts on so it would take another cup of oil does anyone have thoughts My other one has a rocky mountain unit which is real good as it uses oil from the trans case.
Cheers

Lotz-A-Landies
13th December 2009, 03:58 PM
Hello,

Have been searching for an overdrive for a while to fit my S3. Have finally found a bloke with two overdrives to sell. One a Toro (i think) and one a Fairey. <snip>Cameron

My order of preference is always: Roverdrive (Rocky Mountain)
Toro
Fairey with 3. Fairey almost dropped off the list. (would never buy another one)
I have a S3 with a Fairy I always worry about running out of oil I've thought about making a spacer where the end cap bolts on so it would take another cup of oil does anyone have thoughts <snip>I have a friend who made a modification to his where he put a little metal funnel in the transfer box connected to fittings and a pipe into the side of the overdrive this creates a gravity feed circulation system similar to the Roverdrive. If the top of the funnel is just above the "full" height of the overdrive, you then never have to worry about running our of oil again.

Diana

garrycol
13th December 2009, 04:49 PM
I have a friend who made a modification to his where he put a little metal funnel in the transfer box connected to fittings and a pipe into the side of the overdrive this creates a gravity feed circulation system similar to the Roverdrive. If the top of the funnel is just above the "full" height of the overdrive, you then never have to worry about running our of oil again. Diana

I wonder why Fairy did basically this for their LT95 overdrive but never did it to the series O/D. With the LT95 the transfer case will run out of oil before the O/D (but only just before).

Garry