PDA

View Full Version : Replacing shuttle valve switches & need Nanocom

bruiser69
6th January 2010, 08:49 PM
I now have Falconworks genuine Wabco shuttle valve replacement kit with upgrade seal replacement to prevent oil damage to switches. From what I have read in posts, I need Nanocom to work the pump & solenoidsto bleed air from the Wabco ABS modulator & clear fault codes. Where is the best place to purchase a Nanocom? I have looked at several online shops in UK & emailed them without reply.
Cheers..B

Mully
6th January 2010, 09:10 PM
Mate I can only recommend Rovacraft. They were excellent and I got mine the next day.
Happy hunting.

Zute
6th January 2010, 10:58 PM
There is supposed to be a new model nanocom coming in March. So might be better just to borrow one til than.

bruiser69
7th January 2010, 06:12 PM
There is supposed to be a new model nanocom coming in March. So might be better just to borrow one til than.

I contacted Nanocom & Mattia replied that there is indeed a new model coming out in March that will not only do TD5 but Disco3 models & RangeRover as well!!
I guess I'll just have to burden myself on a Nanocom owner till then to do powerbleed & clear 3 amigos.
Cheers..B

Pedro_The_Swift
7th January 2010, 06:53 PM
you dont need a nanocom to do a powerbleed,,
(for the hundredth time)

bruiser69
8th January 2010, 04:58 AM
you dont need a nanocom to do a powerbleed,,
(for the hundredth time)

I did a search on Powerbleeding brakes & found this by you when you did your brakes in June 09 " unplug the ABS relay and connect the dots to get the ABS to pump the fluid through". Care to elaborate. You would still need a Nanocom or other LR diagnostic unit to clear fault codes.
Cheers..B

Dazza67
8th January 2010, 02:35 PM
I was doing some searching for Shuttle valve repairs and came across this ABS Mod - Land Rover Club V.I. (http://www.landroverclubvi.com/abs-mod.html) it is a rather detailed instruction on how to do the repair and also the bypass
Darren

bruiser69
8th January 2010, 03:00 PM
I was doing some searching for Shuttle valve repairs and came across this ABS Mod - Land Rover Club V.I. (http://www.landroverclubvi.com/abs-mod.html) it is a rather detailed instruction on how to do the repair and also the bypass
Darren

Hi Dazza, I also saw this previously, but this only addresses intermittent fault resulting from poor soldering of contacts that mate with shuttle valve assembly. I also didn't like the obvious modification to vital safety equipment if vehicle involved in an accident.
I have already confirmed that these connections are intact by measuring the circuit at modulator connector & hitting modulator with rubber mallet.
The problem with my modulator is the full pressure shuttle valve swtch as confirmed by LT Testbook. Because of this I am going with new Wabco shuttle valve assy plus the shuttle valve seal upgrade kit from Falconworks.
Hopefully the installation of these items will prevent the dreaded 3 Amigos for some time.
Cheers..B

Pedro_The_Swift
8th January 2010, 04:33 PM
I did a search on Powerbleeding brakes & found this by you when you did your brakes in June 09 " unplug the ABS relay and connect the dots to get the ABS to pump the fluid through". Care to elaborate. You would still need a Nanocom or other LR diagnostic unit to clear fault codes.
Cheers..B

Darren

Both of these have been in the Good Oil for some time,,,

bruiser69
9th January 2010, 09:51 PM
Finally took the chance after receiving Shuttle Valve Switch & seal Upgrade kit today & removed ABS modulator after arranging with 'harlie' to provide Nanocom. Couldn't source the Castrol GT-LMA fluid, but after Google search settled on Castrol Response Super Dot4 which is basically the same synthetic high performance brake fluid designed for high tech ABS systems.
The hardest part, after removing Wabco ABS block, was the installation of the upgraded shuttle valve seal kit from Falconworks Message - AULRO Photo Gallery (http://www.aulro.com/app/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/16375)

After the removal & reinstallation of the shuttle valves (with seal kit) it was a breeze!
Not that I doubted Falconworks advise that the seal upgrade kit would resolve the SVS issue for at least 100K, But decided to PERMANTLY seal the top and bottom of the switch boots with Loctite 596 RTV. The switch that had failed (Max pressure) was full of brake fluid.
We did the stamdard brake bleeding (In -Out with spanner on bleed screw draining into Coke bottle) with engine running on all 4 wheels followed by the Nanocom Modulator bleed , which delivered a nice creamy mixture before running clear after several retries.
Very happy:).

Southside LR quoted me $1800 for modulator repair. The Falconworks Shuttle Valve Switch kit, including upgrade shuttle valve seal kit, cost me $US154 delivered (7days).
IMHO if anyone replaces shuttle valve switch assy without doing seal upgrade , they are asking for trouble. Just check out the amount of fluid that caused the damage to my already replaced SVS assembly .
If anyone wants to do this check out the link & PM me if not sure.

Cheers..B

bruiser69
12th January 2010, 02:45 PM
I noticed that the comments I added to images do not appear unless you view images as a slideshow. As this is the first time I have used Members Gallery to upload photos maybe I did something wrong. Set slide show for at least 8 seconds.
Brakes are now working better than I can ever remember. The colour of the brake fluid drained during bleeding was quite dark & murky looking. Possibly never changed since last modulator repair 5 years ago. I read somewhere that Wabco recommend 25000K fluid replacement. Pedal is firm with good response & feedback:).
Cheers..B

MR.T
13th June 2011, 01:08 AM
Finally took the chance after receiving Shuttle Valve Switch & seal Upgrade kit today & removed ABS modulator after arranging with 'harlie' to provide Nanocom. Couldn't source the Castrol GT-LMA fluid, but after Google search settled on Castrol Response Super Dot4 which is basically the same synthetic high performance brake fluid designed for high tech ABS systems.
The hardest part, after removing Wabco ABS block, was the installation of the upgraded shuttle valve seal kit from Falconworks Message - AULRO Photo Gallery (http://www.aulro.com/app/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/16375)

After the removal & reinstallation of the shuttle valves (with seal kit) it was a breeze!
Not that I doubted Falconworks advise that the seal upgrade kit would resolve the SVS issue for at least 100K, But decided to PERMANTLY seal the top and bottom of the switch boots with Loctite 596 RTV. The switch that had failed (Max pressure) was full of brake fluid.
We did the stamdard brake bleeding (In -Out with spanner on bleed screw draining into Coke bottle) with engine running on all 4 wheels followed by the Nanocom Modulator bleed , which delivered a nice creamy mixture before running clear after several retries.
Very happy:).

Southside LR quoted me $1800 for modulator repair. The Falconworks Shuttle Valve Switch kit, including upgrade shuttle valve seal kit, cost me $US154 delivered (7days).
IMHO if anyone replaces shuttle valve switch assy without doing seal upgrade , they are asking for trouble. Just check out the amount of fluid that caused the damage to my already replaced SVS assembly .
If anyone wants to do this check out the link & PM me if not sure.

Cheers..B

hey bruiser, i sent you a pm too but i'll try this way as i am that desperate.
i searched the web hi and low and i think you are the only one in the world who has actually done the seal repair along with the shuttle valve switch repair, so i joined this forum just to look at your pics. i usually hang out at landroversonly.

i got my shuttle valves out to install the seals from falconworks and to my surprise i could find no existing seals. i tried to take a look at your pics but there is not a clear pic of where the seal actually goes.

i've done the abs repair of bypassing the shuttle valve circuitry and here i sit with my modulator still cracked open. too scared to re-install the shuttle valves because i may have the seals in the wrong place.

so here are the parts. the little black washer is the new seal. the rest are all old parts

i'm guessing it goes over this shaft

and rests here and the spring retains tension against the seal

i'm not sure where my seals went but my SVS was definitely covered in dot4.

any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.