PDA

View Full Version : I dont want to be stuck on Fraser Island

Garry
16th January 2010, 07:27 AM
Hi, can anyone help

My car cut out yesterday and was problematic to try and start, we mucked about and finally changed the fuel pump relay and it started first time, problem solved I thought.

We drove back to kingfisher Bay which took around 2 hours with no problems until I parked the car, it was idling really rough and cut out just as i came to a halt.

I left it until this morning and still the fault remains with the poor running however this time the engine fault appears.

Any help would be appreciated

V8 2005 HSE Discovery

G

CaverD3
16th January 2010, 07:49 AM
No idea what it could be. Sounds like fuel system/injector issue?

Needs checking for faults codes, that should tell you where the issue lies.
Needs dealers IDS, Autologic or BBS box.

Blknight.aus
16th January 2010, 01:13 PM
Yep, ^ that.

if the fault lights on then its time to interrogate.

Garry
16th January 2010, 01:58 PM
Ok

Phoned the landrover place in Hervey Bay, I cant remember the name but told me it might just be because of all the salt water I was in yesterday.

Very helpful

I was towed to the car wash by my brothers Nissan Pootrol, most embarrasing I might add.

We gave it a good going over and eventually now it runs, not sure if its running on all 8 cylinders though, very rough idle and when reved up it sounds almost normal except for the odd bubble noise at the exhaust

I have noticed a ticking noise in the engine bay the wasnt there before though

Could it be the sensors on the exhaust?

Might be because I had it on what felt like just the bullbar, my brother was admiring the underside of my car for a few seconds at Indian Heads, felt like a ride at movie world.

Lucky I am close to the ferry, it will at least get me to the mainland, not sure how much further though,

Anyone have one of these units up in Hervey bay on a Sundy afternoon?

G

amaruskanic
16th January 2010, 02:22 PM
HT lead ?

CaverD3
16th January 2010, 03:55 PM
What I was thinking when he mentioned salt wter
HT lead and salt plus water? :( not a happy mixture.
Ticking could be arcing?

stig0000
16th January 2010, 04:32 PM
What I was thinking when he mentioned salt wter
HT lead and salt plus water? :( not a happy mixture.
Ticking could be arcing?

the 4.4 hav coil packs?? i thort,,

Garry
18th January 2010, 09:58 AM
That will be the little grey thingys then under the black covers.

Took them off and checked the plugs but still the same

Off to Hervey Bay today to get the guys to look at it, hopefully its a simple fix

I will keep you informed

G

Scouse
18th January 2010, 10:50 AM
Might be because I had it on what felt like just the bullbar, my brother was admiring the underside of my car for a few seconds at Indian Heads, felt like a ride at movie world.

If the fuel tank took a hit when this happened, then it can damage the pump.
I know of something similar happening to someone here (who shall remain nameless ;)) on the Stockton dunes.

Garry
18th January 2010, 11:12 PM
Ok

The guys in Hervey Bay didnt have the gear to check it, Bugger!

The Guys in Gympie tried but again didnt have the updates in the scanner to check the codes, Bugger!

I got it home and my local brake guru who does all my servicing come up with cylinder misfire, quite a few

He too explained about getting water of any sort in these connectors or any connector not even associated with the ignition system could be problematic, he talks a lot but isnt often wrong

He cleared all the faults and was running fine until I drove the 7 minutes home, Engine fault again but still seems to be running fine? It goes in for a service tomorrow so he should be able to fix it with a little more time

My concern is the fact I didnt go in to any big puddles or rivers, just small fresh water runoffs and I suppose some light seawater just as its running back to the sea, essentially wet sand and this happens

How does one prepare all the connectors prior to an excursion such as Fraser Island? Where are they all?

Well anyway home again but a little sadened, maybe it was because I parked next to one getting dragged on to a tow truck at Inskip Point, maybe what it had was contagious:(

I will let you all know what happens tomorrow

G

Shonky
19th January 2010, 06:44 AM
I dont want to be stuck on Fraser Island

I do... :(

It beats being stuck at work!

Captain_Rightfoot
19th January 2010, 06:50 AM
I would check the coil too. If your guy cleared the fault, why can't he tell you what the fault code was?