PDA

View Full Version : 99 Freelander XEI - High Revs when shifting and HDC Light on

bebes2k
23rd January 2010, 01:42 PM
Hi there,

My wife is looking at buying a 99 XEI with about 170k kms on the clock. When taking the car for a test drive the rpms remained high when the clutch was depressed to shift gears and remains like that for a few seconds. Have any of you heard of this problem in the past?

The HDC light is also always on - I'm not sure if this is linked to the higher revs when changing gears but is there anyway to test if it is actually engaged all the time? How will this affect driving?

Thanks for your assistance.

Cheers, Bill.

101RRS
23rd January 2010, 02:23 PM
If it is an XEI it is a 1.8 petrol - might be OK but the risks are just too high. Do a google on Freelander K engine problems and you will find a lot of issues.

Stay right away from it and run fast. With the car you are looking at - the HDC light should not be on - unless it is actually engaged - changes colour and flashes when the car goes too fast - could simply be a switch issue. On the issue of revs when changing gear - the engine is throttle fly by wire so it is the computer that is keeping the revs up - so there must be an issue. The check engine light should be on - if it is not check the globe is not blown - should be on when the ignition is first switched on and goes out when the engine starts.

If you are not mechanically minded - stay right away from it. If you want a Freelander get a diesel - XEDi are good (I have one) - TD4 are much better.

The diesels are great cars, the 1.8s are extremely problematic and the V6s are Ok but only is well looked after.

Garry

bebes2k
23rd January 2010, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the comments, and yes it is a 1.8L petrol. It was quite inexpensive but there usually always is a reason. I have a feeling I will walk away from this one...

I would much prefer a diesel as they are much more reliable and probably more fuel efficient as well but there aren't any for sale locally.

I will continue the search for an XEDI

Cheers, Bill

woko
23rd January 2010, 07:47 PM
Sorry to correct you Garycol but all petrol freelanders in Australia the throttle is cable driven.
I would go further than Garycol and say "dont touch a petrol freelander" they are both problematic.
The throttle body on early K1.8 are plastic and distort.this will cause slow decrease in engine revs.
HDC light sounds like wiring up the gear stick, it breaks with the movement. Keep Looking for a diesel, L series and TD4 are excellent.

justinc
23rd January 2010, 09:44 PM
Sorry to correct you Garycol but all petrol freelanders in Australia the throttle is cable driven.
I would go further than Garycol and say "dont touch a petrol freelander" they are both problematic.
The throttle body on early K1.8 are plastic and distort.this will cause slow decrease in engine revs.
HDC light sounds like wiring up the gear stick, it breaks with the movement. Keep Looking for a diesel, L series and TD4 are excellent.

Yes those plastic throttle bodies are the culprit, and the broken HDC wire is quite common. Also, I would run too, FAST:(

JC

woko
30th January 2010, 05:03 PM
There's a Diesel one on ebay in perth item Number 130360276775