PDA

View Full Version : Broken Key Fob Cover

TDV6
31st January 2010, 10:42 AM
The black rubberised cover on my key gave up and died, presenting me with the option of approx $400 for a new one from LR as the covers are not a replacable item, or patch it up. The local hardware shop (that big one) had some black "Auto Silicone" in a 55mL tube for less than $5, I found it in the paint section.

Next time I repair the fob I'll use a small flat knife to smooth the surface as my first attempt is a bit rough looking, however the silicone is pliant enough to easily press the required buttons and hasent fallen off in the last month. :)

:):) Ryall :):)

Wonder if the boss will let me spend the $395 I saved on a new cordless drill I've been eying off. Snow ball and hell come to mind.

Xtreme
31st January 2010, 01:04 PM
Try this mob - Polmex (http://www.polmex.com.au/) - I'm not sure if they have replacements for the TDV6 key yet but I'm sure if you pressured them they could come up with something pretty soon.

I've just repaired a D2 Td5 key with one of their kits and it worked a treat. $37 beats $400 anyday, and you may still be able to get that cordless drill with the change. ;)

TDV6
22nd March 2010, 03:43 PM
Just received my key back :) with the new buttons installed, it looks good, a lot better than my amateurish trowelling of silicone squeezed from a tube.

Now the boss is happy to have her key back, but I'm still looking for the cordless drill.

Ryall

Xtreme
22nd March 2010, 03:50 PM
Glad to hear they were able to fix you up.
Much better option than forking out for a new key.

LeighW
22nd March 2010, 03:59 PM
Polmex list a D3 button kit with instructions for $34. Problem is now that I have read about it and checked mine I have noticed the rubber part of my key fob is starting to delaminate. Looks like they have another customer or I could change to the spare key and save a few $$...