PDA

View Full Version : FL2's and big treks

LR2Luver
31st January 2010, 11:38 PM
I would be really interested to hear peoples stories about how their Freebies performed on big treks. Did you have any big problems using the Freebie? Limitations? Surprises? And where have people taken their Freebies? Birdsvill Track, Gibb River Rd, Anne Beadell Hwy, Oodnadatta Track, Strezlecki Track? I'm kinda over hearing tales about Landcruisers and Patrols etc. :( I never get to hear about folk using their Freebies for touring. I'm still in the process of gathering gear to set up our Freebie for touring, and I need some encouragement! :D
Cheers to all.

inside
1st February 2010, 06:44 AM
I doubt many of them would leave the CBD. Most people go down the large 4WD route because you can carry/tow more. Physics suggests that a larger vehicle is simply better at touring. However there's plenty of stories out there of "lesser" vehicles seeing a lot of Australia. Your biggest problem with the FL2 is going to be payload, your 550kg needs to be used wisely.

I'm curently in the early stages of planning a trip to Cameron's Corner. I'll post how I go if I end up going. There's also a Cape trip thread here somewhere which would be worth reading.

mikehzz
1st February 2010, 06:50 AM
Hello,
I've taken my 08 td4 out to Cameron Corner, Innaminka, Birdsvile via Walkers Crossing, into Simpson Desert about 30 kms along QAA line, up Big Red, Boulia to Alice via Plenty Hwy (not much of a hwy), Chambers Pillar, Mount Dare via Ghan Heritage track, full length of Oodnadatta track including Lake Eyre diversion.
The car performed exceptionally well and I couldn't have been happier with it. I did the lot solo without support.
Tips, throw out the road tyres and get all terrains. Don't even think about it on low profile tyres...the standard 17s are only just ok. Take 2 spares. The roads bash the crap out of your suspension so don't expect the car to be in mint condition afterwards. Having said that, mine still doesn't have any rattles after 60000 kms and I'm off road a lot.
The car is ultra capable off road and only lacks a little bit of ground clearance. I am planning other long treks this year, Cape York or Tanami via a full Simpson crossing, not sure yet.
Mike

LR2Luver
1st February 2010, 09:48 PM
Hello,
I've taken my 08 td4 out to Cameron Corner, Innaminka, Birdsvile via Walkers Crossing, into Simpson Desert about 30 kms along QAA line, up Big Red, Boulia to Alice via Plenty Hwy (not much of a hwy), Chambers Pillar, Mount Dare via Ghan Heritage track, full length of Oodnadatta track including Lake Eyre diversion.
The car performed exceptionally well and I couldn't have been happier with it. I did the lot solo without support.
Tips, throw out the road tyres and get all terrains. Don't even think about it on low profile tyres...the standard 17s are only just ok. Take 2 spares. The roads bash the crap out of your suspension so don't expect the car to be in mint condition afterwards. Having said that, mine still doesn't have any rattles after 60000 kms and I'm off road a lot.
The car is ultra capable off road and only lacks a little bit of ground clearance. I am planning other long treks this year, Cape York or Tanami via a full Simpson crossing, not sure yet.
Mike

Go Mike! Go the FL2!! That sounds awesome. I'm surprised you've done all that solo. I kinda figured AT's would be necessary and having a 2nd spare is good sense. Do you tow anything on these trips, or use a roof rack? How much extra fuel do you carry? Have you carried any spares for the suspension on your trips? I'm mightily impressed to hear a FL2 and its owner doing such great trips. Well done! And thanks.

mikehzz
1st February 2010, 11:00 PM
Yep it was fantastic fun, I can't wait for the next trip but too busy at work.
I carried everything on after market Thule racks with a pod on one side and a half width basket on the other. The extra spare was tyre only on the roof. Gear included snatch strap, hand winch, air compressor, tyre repair kit including tyre plyers, exhaust Jack, battery jump pack and tool kit. I only carried 1 extra 20 litre Jerry of diesel and that's why I didn't keep going across the Simpson, probably need 3 to be safe out there. The biggest dunes are on the eastern side and I went over them easy so I reckon the car would make it. I'm more worried about chewing up tyres on the way out near Dalhousie as the road was covered in big sharp rocks. I had to carry the fuel inside which wasn't ideal but I needed it on the run from Boulia to Alice as I got to test the engine throttling when short of fuel system about 20 k's out of Alice. When the trip computer says 5 k's left it really means it which is handy to know :-)
I slept either in the back of the car or in a tent if the campsite was ok. For 1 week my accomodation bill was $15.
The car tows well and would easily handle all the main tracks Like the Strez or Oodnadatta with a good camper on the back but I wouldn't like to haul one over the dunes or through any really rough stuff, the car is good but it's only small so the extra strain could break it. Like Scouse said to me, it's allterrain magic is fluids and electronics not levers and gears.
Anyway, hope you get as much fun out of yours as I have.
Mike

LR2Luver
7th February 2010, 12:49 AM
Has there been no-one else doing big treks with their FL2? :eek:

FreeBee84
17th February 2010, 07:03 PM
Has there been no-one else doing big treks with their FL2? :eek:

I'm so impressed with Mike's trips. I have taken my FL2 to the tip of Cape York via the southern part of the Overland Telegraph Track - a pretty good test.

The FL2 is a great vehicle for the suburban jungle but is also capable off road (my biggest expense out of the CY trip was a replacement number plate - $132).

My next trip is Arnhem Land. I've gone for the tag-a-long option again, but I like hearing of Mike's trips and I expect one day will be doing similar trips to him.

mikehzz
17th February 2010, 10:24 PM
Hey good to hear. What time of year did you go and did you do gunshot creek or the log bridge? Mabye we'll bump each other on a dune sometime :-)

Jono70
19th February 2010, 10:06 PM
Going to Fraser Island soon and also planning Cameron Corner+. Pod Trailer could increase the 550kg payload and Land Rover Roof rails and rack can take 60+kg for longer treks.