PDA

View Full Version : Range Rover Sport

101RRS
26th February 2010, 03:09 PM
I guess the D3/D4 section is closest area to ask about the RRS.

My Freelander still runs really well and is still tight and nothing is falling off or down but is is getting on a bit in years and km. Was thinking about a FL2 or one of the yet to be released diesel Foresters but they are limited in their towing capabilities as I have a few hobby cars that have to be towed from time to time. So I need a replacement for my Freelander that will be my everyday car, has a 2.5-3 tonne tow capacity and something that I can use on longer club trips where the 101 will be too slow on the highway to keep up.

So like Ace - I am now thinking of a D3 TDV6 or a RR. But I do not like the disco - personal preference - and good low KM later model Range Rovers are outside my price range. However I have noticed that Range Rover Sports are only slightly more expensive than similar spec D3s in diesel. I appreciate that the RRS is just a rebodied D3 and that internal layout is not as accommodating as the D3 for carrying gear etc but I assume that with the same size wheels and tyres as a D3 the RRS is basically the same as a D3 offroad.

So - to those who have a RRS and do use them offroad - how have you found them - have you had the same issues as the earlier D3s - have these been fixed through the maintenance/recall system and any other issues I should consider.

Thanks

Garry

Ace
26th February 2010, 04:44 PM
I dont own one, if only, but i have been out with one of Redback's mates who has/had one and it performed well off road, especially with the low profile tyres. i do know that they managed to kill two tyres on one trip and due to the odd size i think it was tilt trayed back because no one had that sized tyres in stock.

What sort of Km's do you class as to high Garry?

rmp
26th February 2010, 04:52 PM
There's more to the RRS than just a different body. It's shorter and a few other pieces are different, but it's very close to a D3 and goes better offroad due to being a little less long. It is also a better onroad drive and trust me the 2.7d can cover ground quickly, the Supercharged is nice but in real-world distance covering its power advantage cannot be fully utilised. If you don't need the space of a D3, go the RRS. I prefer the interior, the "cockpit" feel is great.

djhampson
26th February 2010, 04:58 PM
My Dad's got a 2009 RRS TDv6.

Its done Fraser with no worries but we haven't really used it off-road anywhere else yet. It feels like the D3 off-road in terms of traction and ability.

It drives much better than the D3 but it isn't has practical for touring... the cabin space is considerably less.

He is very happy with it as a tow car for his caravan. They've done nearly 6000km so far.

I love it as a car and for my parents its fantastic but I still wonder if a D3\D4 wouldn't be better for most people due to its capability as a nice town car and a good tourer \ offroader.

Proof they do go offroad....
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2010/03/1516.jpg

VladTepes
26th February 2010, 05:28 PM
a red x is not proof of anything

rmp
26th February 2010, 07:06 PM
a red x is not proof of anything

Only true believers can see the image.

101RRS
26th February 2010, 08:55 PM
What sort of Km's do you class as to high Garry?

As there is a chance this would be my last car I would not want anything much over 60,000km and a few years old.

Garry

Graeme
27th February 2010, 06:22 AM
with the same size wheels and tyres as a D3 the RRS is basically the same as a D3 offroad.
RRS has smaller tyres - 29" cf 30" on D3.

Leo
27th February 2010, 06:25 AM
The RRS is as good a D3 off-road, but swap the standard tyres for a higher profile. You also have the option of getting the awesome TDV8, which you can't get in a D3.

Only drawback is a lack of aftermarket 4x4 accessories, but you can modify some of the D3 stuff to fit, or import stuff from the US, custom build etc.

djhampson
27th February 2010, 07:14 AM
RRS has smaller tyres - 29" cf 30" on D3.

Dad's has got 255/55R18s which I'm 90% sure is the same that the D3 came with. (i've got grabbers on the D3 now which are 255/60/R18).

camel_landy
27th February 2010, 07:31 AM
OK, as someone who uses both off-road, here's my take on it...

Comparing a RRS to a D3/4:

The chassis on the RRS is 6" shorter.
Off-road, the only area to watch out for on the RRS are the trim pannels at the bottom of the doors. (Mainly in deep ruts)
The only other places I've occasionally see damage is along the leading edges of the wheel arches.

I love the RRS, it is such a drivers car and it is no slouch off-road either. :cool:

M

p38arover
27th February 2010, 10:57 AM
Ivery819 down in Tathra is selling his TD RRS. I think he wanted $54k which is what the dealer offered on a trade.

It is a really nice car.

101RRS
27th February 2010, 05:24 PM
Thanks for all your comments - reinforces my thought it might be suitable for me as long as I do not need the D3/4 space inside.

TDV8 is right outside my price range but with the new model out the older model TDv6 might even come down in price further. There are 06 models with about 60,000km at there for about %55K. Best equivalent D3 TDV6 SE is about $50K.

Do the RRS rear seats fold flat like the D3s?

Cheers

Garry

camel_landy
28th February 2010, 09:15 AM
Do the RRS rear seats fold flat like the D3s?

No.

M

Piddler
28th February 2010, 07:06 PM
NIce grey TDV8 RR sport on Grays online for $55k at the moment low kays.

Wish we had not just built a new house.

Not really the house is great.

Seriously it looks very schmick

Cheers :)

101RRS
28th February 2010, 07:37 PM
Hi Ks for a 2yo car (91,000) and will go much much higher. It says V8 diesel but I thought the V8 diesel came out in 2008.

Garry

camel_landy
28th February 2010, 07:59 PM
It says V8 diesel but I thought the V8 diesel came out in 2008.

M

Desert Traveller
2nd March 2010, 01:18 PM
Just be aware the RRS has lower profile tyres than the D3. And I believe slightly less ground clearance.
i.e.
RRS 255/55R18
D3 255/60R18
Check the legality of fitting 255/60R18's on the RRS in some states.

Also the after market bush extras are not availible for the RRS.

p38arover
2nd March 2010, 01:58 PM
Also the after market bush extras are not availible for the RRS.

You can get a snorkel.

The last pic below is how the RRS owner fitted a UHF aerial to the upper tailgate. Sorry about the quality.

pjvdl
2nd March 2010, 04:05 PM
Proof they do go offroad....
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2010/03/1516.jpg

Hi, Sorry for the slightly off topic post, but the tyres on your D3 look solid! Are they AT's? How have you found them in the soft stuff?

Thanks.

djhampson
2nd March 2010, 04:14 PM
They are General Grabbers ATs. They seem prett good on the beach and on dirt but there are others here who've damaged them on rock.

Mine are pretty cut up on the sidewalls and I think I will look elsewhere when the time comes to replace them.

Ron, is that a RRS tailgate? It looks different to ours thats all?

rmp
2nd March 2010, 04:19 PM
You can get a snorkel.

The last pic below is how the RRS owner fitted a UHF aerial to the upper tailgate. Sorry about the quality.

RAI not snorkel.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIAL/editorial_images/range_rover_g4_1.JPG

trobbo
3rd March 2010, 08:26 AM
NIce grey TDV8 RR sport on Grays online for $55k at the moment low kays.

Wish we had not just built a new house.

Not really the house is great.

Seriously it looks very schmick

Cheers :)

sssshhhh, dont tell any one else I've already got enough competition bidding on it:bat:

p38arover
3rd March 2010, 10:03 AM
Ron, is that a RRS tailgate? It looks different to ours thats all?

Yes.

trobbo
3rd March 2010, 06:07 PM
sssshhhh, dont tell any one else I've already got enough competition bidding on it:bat:

63K - I'm out

gghaggis
3rd March 2010, 07:38 PM
Slightly off-topic. My RRS is at the dealers (in Perth) waiting for me (in Esperance). It'll be a fast trip home !!

Apparently they got the build wrong - there's an electric sunroof where there should be a bit of metal. Well, I tell you, I told them in no uncertain terms ....

Not a problem :D

Cheers,

Gordon

rmp
3rd March 2010, 07:40 PM
Slightly off-topic. My RRS is at the dealers (in Perth) waiting for me (in Esperance). It'll be a fast trip home !!

Apparently they got the build wrong - there's an electric sunroof where there should be a bit of metal. Well, I tell you, I told them in no uncertain terms ....

Not a problem :D

Cheers,

Gordon

Oh dear...I'd be angry too. Pointless extra weight, and who needs a sunroof in Australia? They have to get you another one now. Or will you accept it as-is?

We expect photos. Not enough RRS pix here.

I am, of course, insanely jealous!

101RRS
3rd March 2010, 07:52 PM
63K - I'm out

And don't forget the 5.5% buyers premium as well. Getting a bit much for a 100,000km car - even if it is a TDV8.

Garry

101RRS
3rd March 2010, 09:05 PM
Sold for $70,700 + 5.5%. Suppose it is still a good price for a 3yo TDV8 with 100,000km, a broken windscreen and no warranty. The cheapest on Carsales is $83K but only has 38,000km on it.

Garry

p38arover
4th March 2010, 07:12 AM
Garry, if you are seriously looking, contact Peter Gough (ivery819 on this forum).

He had his RRS TD at $54K with far few km than that one. It is immaculate.

I can email pics if you PM your email address.

trobbo
4th March 2010, 07:57 AM
And don't forget the 5.5% buyers premium as well. Getting a bit much for a 100,000km car - even if it is a TDV8.

Garry

That's what I thought. Looks like a very nice car from the pictures, but they dont show everything. I wont buy an expensive car from Grays unless there is at least 5K buffer from the market's bottom price for a similiar car to fix up any nasties that you dont know about, rego, rwc, transfer fees etc. At $62,000 is was getting to close and at $70,000 plus 5.5% you have paid market price and should expect a bit more for your money.

p38arover
4th March 2010, 08:06 AM
RAI not snorkel.

Is there much difference? I saw on another thread on AULRO that the RAI needs sealing.

gghaggis
13th March 2010, 04:30 PM
Well, picked up the new RRS Thursday night and have been glued in the driver's seat ever since ............ :D:D

First impressions on-road compared to the D3: it's nimbler, much faster (3 ltr vs 2.7 ltr), better handling, less internal room (I'm missing all those storage compartments in the D3, especially the ones on the doors!), very comfortable, more economical.

Specs: 3.0 ltr TDV6, active rear diff, rear camera, sun-roof, side protection strips, GOE compressor plate, Redarc electric brake controller.

I ended up fitting Goodyear MTR 255/55/19 tyres, as there were no Pirelli ATR's available here for 2 months. A little noisier than the std tyre (I had the standard rubber on for the first day).

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2010/03/898.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2010/03/917.jpg

Took the car off to the beach and sand dunes today, and was _very_ impressed. For a low profile tyre, the MTR's bag out nicely at 16psi. Combine that with the power curve of the new TDV6 and the thing's unstoppable!! This dune below has required two goes to get over it by every D3 we've tried on it bar one (a V8 with 285/60/18 Cooper Zeon LTZ's). The RRS _sailed_ up it - I had to ease off the throttle halfway up!

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2010/03/918.jpg

So on the 19" rims, the RRS in sand easily outperforms my old D3 on 265/70/17's. The rear camera is a real boon when reversing up/down tricky sand tracks - once you get used to the distances in the perspective view!

I'll be trying the hill-climbs next weekend, and if the tyres perform as well there as they do in the sand, I'm not going to bother with finding alternative rims for it. They'll be more than satisfactory. I'm still chasing up 18" rims for the D4 though.

I am however, getting rim guards to protect the rims a little more. The Expedition rack gets fitted next week, along with the dual battery system. I also have a tuning chip for it, but I might wait until it's run-in before experimenting with that.

Working on a front bash plate and side-steps + rock sliders too ..... ah, it never ends :)

Cheers,

Gordon

RABBITS
13th March 2010, 06:12 PM
That is the best locking Landrover i have ever seen.
sweet colour.
Might trade the D1 One day.

chuck
13th March 2010, 09:01 PM
Gordon

Thanks for the photos - I have the MTR's on my D3.
What are rim guards?

Regards

Chuck

gghaggis
14th March 2010, 01:12 AM
Gordon

Thanks for the photos - I have the MTR's on my D3.
What are rim guards?

Regards

Chuck

A polyutherene bead that you wedge in between the rim edge and the tyre wall. It stands proud of the rim and purports to reduce the chance of scraping the rim on obtrusions.

Cheers,

Gordon

ADMIRAL
14th March 2010, 01:24 AM
Hi Gordon,

The front end is certainly better looking than the D4. Not so sure about the rear.

Where is the sandhill located ? Wedge ?

p38arover
14th March 2010, 06:51 AM
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2010/03/898.jpg

That looks terrible! :mad:

Can I have it? :angel:

Congrats - it looks purposeful with the aggressive tyres.

BigJon
14th March 2010, 08:35 AM
Looks great. I take it you aren't too tall. If I ordered one without a sunroof and it came with one I couldn't accept it. Not enough headroom.

Now I need to find a good cheap secondhand TDV8 with no sunroof. Is there such a thing?

Graeme
14th March 2010, 12:45 PM
I ended up fitting Goodyear MTR 255/55/19 tyres
Did you get the tyres through a LR dealer as a G4 accessory or a tyre shop?

Nice looking vehicle, especially with real tyres. The low profile might make the MTRs wear flatter than usual and stay a bit quieter.

rmp
14th March 2010, 12:51 PM
Nice looking vehicle, especially with real tyres. The low profile might make the MTRs wear flatter than usual and stay a bit quieter.

Makes no difference to wear or noise if the diameter and width are the same as the higher profile tyre.

gghaggis
14th March 2010, 12:51 PM
Got the tyres through the dealer. I'm still waiting for the spare, as they only had 4 left here in the West!

Cheers,

Gordon

Did you get the tyres through a LR dealer as a G4 accessory or a tyre shop?

Graeme
14th March 2010, 02:37 PM
Makes no difference to wear or noise if the diameter and width are the same as the higher profile tyre.
I'd expect higher profile ones to roll over more thus exposing the edge blocks to more wear and thus more noise later in life. I've seen that wide low profile tyres on the correct rim width wear quite flat and don't heel & toe nearly so much. Perhaps my side block wear was more due to my running lowish pressures in what have been higher profile and narrower tyres prior to my current vehicle.

rmp
14th March 2010, 05:50 PM
I'd expect higher profile ones to roll over more thus exposing the edge blocks to more wear and thus more noise later in life. I've seen that wide low profile tyres on the correct rim width wear quite flat and don't heel & toe nearly so much. Perhaps my side block wear was more due to my running lowish pressures in what have been higher profile and narrower tyres prior to my current vehicle.

If the tyres are correctly fitted and run at the right pressure they will wear evenly regardless of profile. Any uneven wearing is due to incorrect pressures or wheel alignment. An alignment should be done whenever new tyres are fitted.

Tote
14th March 2010, 07:24 PM
An alignment should be done whenever new tyres are fitted.

Now you are tempting fate! I say, if it aint broke don't let a wheel aligner anywhere near it.
On a more serious note my D3 has 96000KM on it and the tyres are wearing perfectly. I'll just leave it as is when I get a new set soon.

Regards,
Tote

sniegy
15th March 2010, 09:19 AM
Congrats Gordon,
Very nice vehicle.;):p
You will no doubt enjoy the coming weeks tinkering & getting use to what does what etc.

Cheers:D

Leo
15th March 2010, 09:21 AM
So on the 19" rims, the RRS in sand easily outperforms my old D3 on 265/70/17's.

Beautiful motor Gordon! Could the sand performance be due to the revised sand mode on the TR?

dobbo
18th March 2010, 07:32 AM
I'm thinking of trading in the D2 for a new tow vehicle for the wife.

What is the tow capacity of a diesel RRS

djhampson
18th March 2010, 07:37 AM
3,500kg same as a D3\D4

dobbo
18th March 2010, 07:40 AM
3,500kg same as a D3\D4

So it's basically a D3/D4 with a body that looks like a modern version of a RRC and not a goldfish bowl designed by Ikea

djhampson
18th March 2010, 07:42 AM
Well as a D3 driver I'd say its a wannabe D3 that's not as practical but I'm just jealous of its looks.:cool:

But yes very similar to a D3\4

rmp
18th March 2010, 07:43 AM
So it's basically a D3/D4 with a body that looks like a modern version of a RRC and not a goldfish bowl designed by Ikea

Yes, that's right.

I see you're up for some sport with a Sport, giving the rich waters of General Chat a rest to restock and rebuild indignation ready for a pop.

Happy fishing.

dobbo
18th March 2010, 07:51 AM
Yes, that's right.

I see you're up for some sport with a Sport, giving the rich waters of General Chat a rest to restock and rebuild indignation ready for a pop.

Happy fishing.

No, this is serious looking, weighing up costs, ready for my hard earned to change hands in a couple of months.

IMHO the D3 is an ugly car, a Puma is not my cup of tea due to the obvious. I have always thought the RRS is a very sexy looking car the sort my wife deserves.

rmp
18th March 2010, 07:55 AM
No, this is serious looking, weighing up costs, ready for my hard earned to change hands in a couple of months.

IMHO the D3 is an ugly car, a Puma is not my cup of tea due to the obvious. I have always thought the RRS is a very sexy looking car the sort my wife deserves.

Seriously, serious posts? You're going to resist the temptation for even the tiniest of digs here and there? I am disappointed and frankly sceptical ;-)

What's the obvious about the Puma?

I don't mind the D3 myself but prefer the looks of the RRS, esp the MY2010 version.

I like the logic too -- you want a RRS so you justify it as something for the wife. Not that I've ever done that of course.

dobbo
18th March 2010, 08:01 AM
Seriously, serious posts? You're going to resist the temptation for even the tiniest of digs here and there? I am disappointed and frankly sceptical ;-)

I'm glad your sceptical, it means your brain is in gear and I may have a few questions.

What's the obvious about the Puma?

The build quality, engine probs etc..... IMHO my 25yr old County (which I am keeping) is a lot better vehicle therefore I cannot justify the cost of a new one.

I don't mind the D3 myself but prefer the looks of the RRS, esp the MY2010 version.

I like the logic too -- you want a RRS so you justify it as something for the wife. Not that I've ever done that of course.

If the formulae works, why change it?

Now have I passed the test or are we going to crap on for a while?

CSBrisie
18th March 2010, 08:13 AM
No, not exactly like D3, RRS centre row fold forward against the rear of the front seats and the rest is flat behind that.

101RRS
18th March 2010, 09:06 AM
I have always thought the RRS is a very sexy looking car the sort my wife deserves.

So is that how you are going to sell it to your missus? Come on admit it - you want it for yourself - I would.

Garry

dobbo
18th March 2010, 09:10 AM
So is that how you are going to sell it to your missus? Come on admit it - you want it for yourself - I would.

Garry

I never disputed that known fact, but in reality I have my Turdis and am soon to be getting myself a little hairdresser style "penis extension". I cannot justify 4 cars so one must go. The wife clause is the logical answer.

101RRS
18th March 2010, 09:34 AM
and am soon to be getting myself a little hairdresser style "penis extension" :eek:.

TOO MUCH INFORMATION

dobbo
18th March 2010, 09:47 AM
TOO MUCH INFORMATION

Says he with an E type:D