Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Carnarvon Great Walk

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Broadford, Victoria
    Posts
    74
    Wow Perry, your shots are superb! We are planning a trip there in August, not sure what the weather will be like, but thinking probably mild'ish days, hopefully not wet, and crispy nights.
    Love your sleeping quarters on top Gandalf; looking at something like that for the Disco. Any info/tips appreciated!
    Cate:-)

  2. #12
    numpty's Avatar
    numpty is offline TopicToaster Silver Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Tamworth
    Posts
    4,073
    Quote Originally Posted by newhue View Post
    Perry good on you. I have good friends who helped survey that walk and give feedback to NP's. Glad you enjoyed it.
    I am bit envious though, after kids my walking days have amounted to 0 really.

    I see you have the same tent as me.
    Yes Jason, I noticed your tent in a previous thread. I like it for the amount of room it has and it is not "overly" heavy. I actually put the fly in one stuff sack and the tent in another, that way the weight can be shared between the 2 of us.
    Numpty

    Thomas - 1955 Series 1 107" Truck Cab
    Leon - 1957 Series 1 88" Soft Top
    Lewis - 1963 Series 11A ex Mil Gunbuggy
    Teddy5 - 2001 Ex Telstra Big Cab Td5
    REMLR No 143

  3. #13
    numpty's Avatar
    numpty is offline TopicToaster Silver Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Tamworth
    Posts
    4,073
    Quote Originally Posted by CapableCate View Post
    Wow Perry, your shots are superb! We are planning a trip there in August, not sure what the weather will be like, but thinking probably mild'ish days, hopefully not wet, and crispy nights.
    Love your sleeping quarters on top Gandalf; looking at something like that for the Disco. Any info/tips appreciated!
    Cate:-)
    Thanks Cate, all taken with a Canon pocket camera, albeit with a 20 x zoom.

    August could be cold (nights), but just do it. I prefer the cooler weather for walking. I did the Overland Track in winter and that had a bit of everything. Good gear is the key and layers.

    Roof top tent is waiting for the SWB trailer to be finished and then it will be going on that.

    Happy to answer any questions re tips etc that I can.
    Numpty

    Thomas - 1955 Series 1 107" Truck Cab
    Leon - 1957 Series 1 88" Soft Top
    Lewis - 1963 Series 11A ex Mil Gunbuggy
    Teddy5 - 2001 Ex Telstra Big Cab Td5
    REMLR No 143

  4. #14
    numpty's Avatar
    numpty is offline TopicToaster Silver Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Tamworth
    Posts
    4,073
    5th day took us through some lovely forested country with the ever present cycads seeming to dominate.







    Hardenbergia was a feature near the final nights camp, blanketing a lot of the understorey.



    Cabbage Tree Camp



    Day 6 took us back towards Carnarvon Gorge although still high up.







    That's Carnarvon Creek below



    Packed up ready to head home after the final nights camp on the Macintyre River at Mungindi.





    All in all a terrific 10 days.
    Perry
    Numpty

    Thomas - 1955 Series 1 107" Truck Cab
    Leon - 1957 Series 1 88" Soft Top
    Lewis - 1963 Series 11A ex Mil Gunbuggy
    Teddy5 - 2001 Ex Telstra Big Cab Td5
    REMLR No 143

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,535
    Quote Originally Posted by numpty View Post
    Yes Jason, I noticed your tent in a previous thread. I like it for the amount of room it has and it is not "overly" heavy. I actually put the fly in one stuff sack and the tent in another, that way the weight can be shared between the 2 of us.
    They are a great 2 person tent. They are also a good 4 season tent as well, though only rated to 3.
    Having 3 of them I used the fly off one to make a shelter with no inner. Sewed a ground sheet from sil nylon with eyelits and clips in the corners. Used a bit of velcro to keep the poles crossed. Bit of no-see-em mesh around the base of the fly and its become a light sturdy insect free shelter.

    Good on you partner sharing the weight, in my camp I get the tent.
    Jason

    2010 130 TDCi

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    On the road.
    Posts
    1,946
    nice trip and report, we read the signs when at mt moffat a few years ago and thought it must be interesting walk and where would water be available which you have now answered. thanks

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,094

    Carnarvon Great Walk

    Bumping a pretty old thread....

    I se you mention potable water at each camp but Iím sure the NP online map says no water. Back to recheck NP info.

    What your thoughts on starting and finishing from Mount Moffett (actually didnít realise on could access the walk from Mount Moffett).

    Thanks

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Western Sydney
    Posts
    28,697
    Perry,
    If you'd like to add the pix again, I can do that for you if you forward them to me at p38arover@gmail.com
    Last edited by p38arover; 7th December 2020 at 08:38 PM.
    Ron B.
    VK2OTC

    2004 L322 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Auto
    2007 Yamaha XJR1300
    Previous: 1983, 1986 RRC; 1995, 1996 P38A; 1995 Disco1; 1984 V8 County 110; Series IIA



    RIP Bucko - Riding on Forever

  9. #19
    numpty's Avatar
    numpty is offline TopicToaster Silver Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Tamworth
    Posts
    4,073
    Quote Originally Posted by W&KO View Post
    Bumping a pretty old thread....

    I se you mention potable water at each camp but Iím sure the NP online map says no water. Back to recheck NP info.

    What your thoughts on starting and finishing from Mount Moffett (actually didnít realise on could access the walk from Mount Moffett).

    Thanks
    Sorry to be so lax, but I haven't been on here for quite a while.

    Don't know about now, but all of the campsites had a roofed water collection area which drained into underground tanks with the water accessible via a hand pump.
    Numpty

    Thomas - 1955 Series 1 107" Truck Cab
    Leon - 1957 Series 1 88" Soft Top
    Lewis - 1963 Series 11A ex Mil Gunbuggy
    Teddy5 - 2001 Ex Telstra Big Cab Td5
    REMLR No 143

  10. #20
    numpty's Avatar
    numpty is offline TopicToaster Silver Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Tamworth
    Posts
    4,073
    Quote Originally Posted by p38arover View Post
    Perry,
    If you'd like to add the pix again, I can do that for you if you forward them to me at p38arover@gmail,com
    Thanks Ron.

    If I went searching through three different computers I could probably find the relevant pics.

    I'll think about it.
    Numpty

    Thomas - 1955 Series 1 107" Truck Cab
    Leon - 1957 Series 1 88" Soft Top
    Lewis - 1963 Series 11A ex Mil Gunbuggy
    Teddy5 - 2001 Ex Telstra Big Cab Td5
    REMLR No 143

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!