Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: Paint

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aus
    Posts
    2,381
    Quote Originally Posted by bblaze View Post
    Over any repairs I make, I brush on a couple of coates of primer filler and then sand that back off. Covers a lot of imperfections
    cheers
    blaze
    Yeah, if you look it appears the primer he is using is reacting to the existing paint where he's feathered it around the repairs. I hope he's got a speed sander or he'll never get it straight

    seeya,
    shane l.
    Proper cars--
    '92 Range Rover 3.9V8 ... slugomatic
    '92 Range Rover 3.8V8 ... 5spd manual
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I :burnrubber:
    '63 ID19 x 2 :wheelchair:
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas
    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual :zzz:

  2. #22
    jsp's Avatar
    jsp is online now Master Silver Subscriber
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    887
    a few light coats of primer since then then two coats of putty stuff, and am needing some bits and bobs for sanding so its all on hold until the weekend.

    I just didn't want to spray it on to thick to fast in case of runs. I'm almost through all my assorted cans of stuff I have accumulated over the years for small projects so will invest in a few tins of semi decent stuff.

    I have no expectation of results as good as you guys have posted its all a learning experience at this stage

    I can afford paint and stuff, but I cant afford the $4500 for a cheap paint job last time I had a classic done about 15 years ago so its probably heaps more now.
    2002/1994/1988/1987/1984/1981/1973 Range Rover 1986 Wadham Stringer
    and a Magna............
    South Australia.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aus
    Posts
    2,381
    Quote Originally Posted by jsp View Post
    a few light coats of primer since then then two coats of putty stuff, and am needing some bits and bobs for sanding so its all on hold until the weekend.

    I just didn't want to spray it on to thick to fast in case of runs. I'm almost through all my assorted cans of stuff I have accumulated over the years for small projects so will invest in a few tins of semi decent stuff.

    I have no expectation of results as good as you guys have posted its all a learning experience at this stage

    I can afford paint and stuff, but I cant afford the $4500 for a cheap paint job last time I had a classic done about 15 years ago so its probably heaps more now.
    What are you using to sand it ? I find the only way I can get anything straight is with a speed file.

    HAND SPEED FILE BLOCK SANDING BOARD 17" PANEL AUTO CAR DENT BOG SPEEDFILE 619775315631 | eBay

    something like this. You need to sand from every direction. if you do just one it'll never be level. You need ****loads of paper. Estimate have much you need, then buy 10 times as much when you get to the paint shop

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    Proper cars--
    '92 Range Rover 3.9V8 ... slugomatic
    '92 Range Rover 3.8V8 ... 5spd manual
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I :burnrubber:
    '63 ID19 x 2 :wheelchair:
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas
    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual :zzz:

  4. #24
    jsp's Avatar
    jsp is online now Master Silver Subscriber
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    887
    Combination of an orbital with 120 and 240, and then one of those blocks with 1200 and some scotch brite type stuff for in the corners around the castellations etc.

    Probably all the wrong stuff just what I have on hand at the moment to see what happens

    Should have just hit it Mr bean style with a tin of paint and TNT
    2002/1994/1988/1987/1984/1981/1973 Range Rover 1986 Wadham Stringer
    and a Magna............
    South Australia.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aus
    Posts
    2,381
    Quote Originally Posted by jsp View Post
    Combination of an orbital with 120 and 240, and then one of those blocks with 1200 and some scotch brite type stuff for in the corners around the castellations etc.

    Probably all the wrong stuff just what I have on hand at the moment to see what happens

    Should have just hit it Mr bean style with a tin of paint and TNT

    If it is already perfectly straight, and your careful not to dig holes (ie: sand in one spot) for too long that will be fine. D/A's would be safer. Its really easy to dig a hole with an orbital sander.

    if you have done any filler work. You must get one of the speed file sanders like I linked. You will never get it straight otherwise ( guess how I know ...... ).

    Do you have any mates that have done panel work in the past that can run there hand over it for you (this is all you need. You'll be mightily ****ed with them when they say "try again" for the fifteenth time though ).

    seeya
    Shane L.
    Proper cars--
    '92 Range Rover 3.9V8 ... slugomatic
    '92 Range Rover 3.8V8 ... 5spd manual
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I :burnrubber:
    '63 ID19 x 2 :wheelchair:
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas
    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual :zzz:

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NW Tassie
    Posts
    1,679
    Another trick is to put a very light coat and rub it back with 600 and a block, do it wet and only a light rub, Now wash it off annd any low spots wil have color and the rest will be primer
    cheers
    blaze

  7. #27
    jsp's Avatar
    jsp is online now Master Silver Subscriber
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    887
    Quote Originally Posted by bblaze View Post
    Another trick is to put a very light coat and rub it back with 600 and a block, do it wet and only a light rub, Now wash it off annd any low spots wil have color and the rest will be primer
    cheers
    blaze
    Yeah that's what I've done with the blue spray putty vs grey primer.

    At least anything will be better than the black hand painted range rover lettering and the gaffer tape over a hole then sprayed gold to try blend it into beige factory colour
    2002/1994/1988/1987/1984/1981/1973 Range Rover 1986 Wadham Stringer
    and a Magna............
    South Australia.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aus
    Posts
    2,381
    Quote Originally Posted by bblaze View Post
    Another trick is to put a very light coat and rub it back with 600 and a block, do it wet and only a light rub, Now wash it off annd any low spots wil have color and the rest will be primer
    cheers
    blaze
    That will not remove dents and ripples though ... Only small marks (eg: upto maybe the size of a 5cent piece ). You need to use a long board for the panel to look straight if your repairing areas that were damaged Having said that, I'm sure the professionals can do the shaping of a repair with a D/A sander and get it better than me ....

    btw: years ago ... I did a thread on painting the red car over on aussiefrogs. ... Quick paint job anyone ???? pretty much everythign I say there is still relevant (other than I'm not stuck with only one car now, and can drive the club permit cars if I want).

    Quick paint job anyone ????

    I reckon that quick splash of paint .... I would have put $650'ish into and probably 60hours labour.


    seeya,
    Shane L.
    Proper cars--
    '92 Range Rover 3.9V8 ... slugomatic
    '92 Range Rover 3.8V8 ... 5spd manual
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I :burnrubber:
    '63 ID19 x 2 :wheelchair:
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas
    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual :zzz:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!