Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Head unit upgrade for D2

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Nirvana near Albany W.A.
    Posts
    1,548

    Head unit upgrade for D2

    Thought I'd give the old girl a treat and ordered this pioneer 7 inch flip out screen apple car play/ android auto unit while it was on a discount .
    Just in case anyone wants to do the same

    Pioneer AVH-Z7250BT | Pioneer AVH-Z7250BT 7" Single DIN DVD Tuner with Dual Phone Bluetooth, USB, Android Auto and Apple Carplay + Free Reverse Camera | Frankies Auto Electrics

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Perth WA 6149
    Posts
    1,229
    Very nice! And it has a steering wheel control input as well according to the manual.

    cheers

    Steve
    12 - 1994 Jaguar XJ12 "Lady Penelope"
    6 - 1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Grand Prix
    5 - 2003 Discovery 2 S Td5 "Charlie"
    4 -
    2002 Nissan Pulsar ST "Iggy"
    0 - 2006 19'6" Windsor Genesis "The Castle"


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Nirvana near Albany W.A.
    Posts
    1,548
    yes, shouldn't even need a patch lead to make them work, but we'll see when it gets here.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Perth WA 6149
    Posts
    1,229
    I have a slight itch to upgrade to something similar in Charlie, so I'll be interested to hear how you go with hooking up the Steering Wheel Controls. It would be awesome if it didn't need a patch lead/adapter box.

    Quote Originally Posted by discorevy View Post
    yes, shouldn't even need a patch lead to make them work, but we'll see when it gets here.
    Cheers

    Steve
    12 - 1994 Jaguar XJ12 "Lady Penelope"
    6 - 1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Grand Prix
    5 - 2003 Discovery 2 S Td5 "Charlie"
    4 -
    2002 Nissan Pulsar ST "Iggy"
    0 - 2006 19'6" Windsor Genesis "The Castle"


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Fremantle WA
    Posts
    2,659
    Quote Originally Posted by Rok_Dr View Post
    I have a slight itch to upgrade to something similar in Charlie, so I'll be interested to hear how you go with hooking up the Steering Wheel Controls. It would be awesome if it didn't need a patch lead/adapter box.



    Cheers

    Steve


    Craig - and if the LSE ever gets back on the road, I'll be down and you can then connect up one for me!!!!

    Steve - time for coffee pre house maintenance?
    Towtug Apr 19 D4 MY10 2.7 6 speed with LLAMS, long range tank and other goodies - for towing "The Brick"
    Bessie Aug 13 MY95 RRC LSE Vogue SoftDash with MY99 TD5 and 4HP24 transplant - in the LR garage since Apr 18
    SADLY SOLD Disco Dan MY04 D2a TD5 auto Classic Nov 11 - Jun 19

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Nirvana near Albany W.A.
    Posts
    1,548
    Quote Originally Posted by Rok_Dr View Post
    I have a slight itch to upgrade to something similar in Charlie, so I'll be interested to hear how you go with hooking up the Steering Wheel Controls. It would be awesome if it didn't need a patch lead/adapter box.



    Cheers

    Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by gavinwibrow View Post
    Craig - and if the LSE ever gets back on the road, I'll be down and you can then connect up one for me!!!!

    Will keep you posted, though I've since found out they have sent the unit with a courier otherwise known as sloway, so might be a few weeks ( eta 19/12 ) ordered on 27/11.

    Is there progress with the LSE ?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Travelling (NFA)
    Posts
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by Rok_Dr View Post
    Very nice! And it has a steering wheel control input as well according to the manual.

    cheers

    Steve
    but doesn't have a dedicated GPS ... only Google Maps ... so only usable with an internet connection.
    Pity. :-(
    Last edited by rapserv; 4th December 2019 at 03:24 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
    2001 Disco 2 - EU3 TD5 Auto
    (Build Date: 08/01)
    Mods: 2" Lift, HD Springs, Rear Bags,
    ECU upgrade, IC, Silicone Pipes, EGR, De-web,
    Digital EGT, Boost & Trans, 160W Spots,
    12000lb Winch, Icom UHF & Codan NGT HF
    245 75R16 Toyo 'Open Country' M/T's


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Nirvana near Albany W.A.
    Posts
    1,548
    Quote Originally Posted by rapserv View Post
    but doesn't have a dedicated GPS ... only Google Maps ... so only usable with an internet connection.
    Pity. :-(
    Shouldn't be a problem , just load offline mapping , use google maps for main roads / cities , load off road maps on to your phone via app of your choice( even mid range phones should have gps, glonass etc as well as gps-a ), mirror phone to head unit for remote areas.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Williamstown, Victoria
    Posts
    1,680
    Quote Originally Posted by discorevy View Post
    Shouldn't be a problem , just load offline mapping , use google maps for main roads / cities , load off road maps on to your phone via app of your choice( even mid range phones should have gps, glonass etc as well as gps-a ), mirror phone to head unit for remote areas.
    Yessum, I used offline google maps in the USA, no data at all, the GPS in the phone worked well.
    D2a Td5 Manual, Chawton White. aka "Daisy"
    Build date 11th Oct 2002
    Freelander 2 2011, manual, the daughter calls it Perri
    Before I had a Land Rover I did not have any torque wrenches. Now I have three.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Perth WA 6149
    Posts
    1,229
    Quote Originally Posted by discorevy View Post
    Shouldn't be a problem , just load offline mapping , use google maps for main roads / cities , load off road maps on to your phone via app of your choice( even mid range phones should have gps, glonass etc as well as gps-a ), mirror phone to head unit for remote areas.
    From my research both android auto and Apple CarPlay only support a limited number of apps through the interface. Google maps offline will work but the other common offline apps like HERE, maps.me, Hema etc, wont display on the head unit screen, only the phone.

    That said Id be interested to hear if others have found an off line mapping app that is CarPlay/android auto compatible.

    cheers

    Steve
    12 - 1994 Jaguar XJ12 "Lady Penelope"
    6 - 1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Grand Prix
    5 - 2003 Discovery 2 S Td5 "Charlie"
    4 -
    2002 Nissan Pulsar ST "Iggy"
    0 - 2006 19'6" Windsor Genesis "The Castle"


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!