Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Drive Plate Question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tatura, Vic
    Posts
    5,487

    Drive Plate Question

    Having just replaced a broken drive plate in my D1 (300Tdi) this got me thinking about my D2.

    My research tells me that they are also known to fail which got me thinking.
    On the Td5 the drive plate is just a flat piece of steel. Between the plate and the crank is quite a large spacer.

    Why couldn't two plates be used and the thickness of the extra plate could be machined off the spacer.
    You could even fit three all together.

    There must be a reason, as I am sure that many others would have the same thoughts and I reckon there will be people here that are much smarter than me,
    who will say why this should not be done.
    Dave.

    I was asked " Is it ignorance or apathy?" I replied "I don't know and I don't care."



    1996 TDI ES. 2003 TD5 HSE

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Gippsland
    Posts
    1,080

    Drive Plate Question

    Quote Originally Posted by d2dave View Post
    Having just replaced a broken drive plate in my D1 (300Tdi) this got me thinking about my D2.

    My research tells me that they are also known to fail which got me thinking.
    On the Td5 the drive plate is just a flat piece of steel. Between the plate and the crank is quite a large spacer.

    Why couldn't two plates be used and the thickness of the extra plate could be machined off the spacer.
    You could even fit three all together.

    There must be a reason, as I am sure that many others would have the same thoughts and I reckon there will be people here that are much smarter than me,
    who will say why this should not be done.
    I considered this as well when my brother had his fail some months ago and we read that the common aftermarket offering is considered by those that “know”, to be of a lower specification steel than the original and not to be trusted. So what about two sandwiched together we thoughtDrive Plate Question. But it wouldn’t be as simple as that - I reckon that the fixing bolts would have to be upgraded to provide greater clamping force to allow for the increased mass and lateral (shear?) forces exerted on the extended length fixing bolts.

    I am not an engineer ....
    1999 build D2 TD5 AT, Mantec snorkel, 2" LRA spring lift, ARB on board air, CMM air ram CDL shifter, swag & gold pans .....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Williamstown, Victoria
    Posts
    2,036
    These are also called a flex plate. A sandwich of these may not have enough flex.
    I could be wrong, I have a manual!
    D2a Td5 Manual, Chawton White. aka "Daisy"
    Build date 11th Oct 2002
    Freelander 2 2011, manual, the daughter calls it Perri
    Before I had a Land Rover I did not have any torque wrenches. Now I have three.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    NSW far north coast
    Posts
    16,374
    Just use a HD flex plate.
    They don't crack.
    Ashcroft make/sell one, pretty sure A&B in Melbourne stock them.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brisbane West
    Posts
    22,122
    Quote Originally Posted by rick130 View Post
    Just use a HD flex plate.
    They don't crack.
    Ashcroft make/sell one, pretty sure A&B in Melbourne stock them.
    Do A&B stock Ashcroft units or make their own?
    Justin gave me one, it had no reference to AC on it, only an A&B sticker.
    If you don't like trucks, stop buying stuff.
    http://www.aulro.com/afvb/signaturepics/sigpic20865_1.gif

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bendigo
    Posts
    296

    Drive Plate Question

    That reminds me. I still have mine in the shed. I was going to turn it into a wind chime.

    But as mentioned they need to flex a small amount. Mine got tired with flexing. And was removed in several bits.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    NSW far north coast
    Posts
    16,374
    Quote Originally Posted by V8Ian View Post
    Do A&B stock Ashcroft units or make their own?
    Justin gave me one, it had no reference to AC on it, only an A&B sticker.
    I thought you said it had 'Ash' or 'AT' stamped on it?
    All good Ian.

    Uninformed and I are putting an Ashcroft list together ATM and a HD flexplate will be on it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brisbane West
    Posts
    22,122
    Quote Originally Posted by rick130 View Post
    I thought you said it had 'Ash' or 'AT' stamped on it?
    All good Ian.

    Uninformed and I are putting an Ashcroft list together ATM and a HD flexplate will be on it.
    Quite possibly Rick.
    Now where did I leave my memory?
    If you don't like trucks, stop buying stuff.
    http://www.aulro.com/afvb/signaturepics/sigpic20865_1.gif

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    NSW far north coast
    Posts
    16,374
    Quote Originally Posted by V8Ian View Post
    Quite possibly Rick.
    Now where did I leave my memory?
    If you find it mine will probably be there too so can you send it home to me please? Drive Plate Question

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brisbane West
    Posts
    22,122
    Quote Originally Posted by rick130 View Post
    If you find it mine will probably be there too so can you send it home to me please? Drive Plate Question
    If I remember.
    If you don't like trucks, stop buying stuff.
    http://www.aulro.com/afvb/signaturepics/sigpic20865_1.gif

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!