Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Diesel Purge - TD5

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Travelling (NFA)
    Posts
    296

    Diesel Purge - TD5

    Just wondering if any members have done a diesel injector purge on a Disco 2 TD5 and if so where did you connect into the diesel lines.
    I'm looking to do a purge using 'Moly Diesel Purge' to try and give the injectors a good clean out.
    I've had a gradual, but noticeable, lack of power and a corresponding much higher fuel usage over some time now.
    I've done numerous other checks first (the usual suspects) and a couple of days ago took the injector cover off to see if there was any evidence of diesel leaks around the injectors themselves .. but they all looked pretty good. (none of them were any cleaner around the injectors) Injector harness is good and all clean back to the ECU.
    Heard good things about the purge .. so thought I might give it a try.
    The other thing I noticed some time back was the Nanacom indicated quite large variations on the injector timings. Timing chain issue?
    2001 Disco 2 - EU3 TD5 Auto
    (Build Date: 08/01)
    Mods: 2" Lift, HD Springs, Rear Bags,
    ECU upgrade, IC, Silicone Pipes, EGR, De-web,
    Digital EGT, Boost & Trans, 160W Spots,
    12000lb Winch, Icom UHF & Codan NGT HF
    245 75R16 Toyo 'Open Country' M/T's


  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Williamstown, Victoria
    Posts
    2,185
    Do you mean cylinder balance? on the Nanocom? I had the same, it was the high pressure section of the fuel pump failing.
    D2a Td5 Manual, Chawton White. aka "Daisy"
    Build date 11th Oct 2002
    Freelander 2 2011, manual, the daughter calls it Perri
    Before I had a Land Rover I did not have any torque wrenches. Now I have three.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by rapserv View Post
    Just wondering if any members have done a diesel injector purge on a Disco 2 TD5 and if so where did you connect into the diesel lines.
    I'm looking to do a purge using 'Moly Diesel Purge' to try and give the injectors a good clean out.
    I've had a gradual, but noticeable, lack of power and a corresponding much higher fuel usage over some time now.
    I've done numerous other checks first (the usual suspects) and a couple of days ago took the injector cover off to see if there was any evidence of diesel leaks around the injectors themselves .. but they all looked pretty good. (none of them were any cleaner around the injectors) Injector harness is good and all clean back to the ECU.
    Heard good things about the purge .. so thought I might give it a try.
    The other thing I noticed some time back was the Nanacom indicated quite large variations on the injector timings. Timing chain issue?
    I have seen people put the Molly.... into the fuel filter on other cars so the engine sucks that up first. Let it run for a bit to shake and bake on a strong mix.

    Another great thing I do on turbo cars is to do a boost leak test, find an approbate size water bottle drill a hole on the bottom pop the air flow meter out the way stick one end firmly into the turbo intake pipe and blow. You should get a good amount of back pressure and or hear some leaks. Sometimes you need a few people in a nice quiet place to find where its leaking.

    Itís the first thing I did on my D2 and found lots of places she was leaking from, fixed that all up and it pulled like a freight train.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Avoca Beach
    Posts
    12,922
    The other thing I noticed some time back was the Nanacom indicated quite large variations on the injector timings. Timing chain issue?

    The other thing I noticed some time back was the Nanacom indicated quite large variations on the injector timings. Timing chain issue?
    This is usually caused by leaking injector washers into the combustion chamber. The orings at the top can be good so no diesel in oil but if the washers are bad, it could cause poor running hard starting and poor economy.

    You can check your cam timing quite easily. Turn the engine to TDC firing and place a drill or the correct timing tool into the flywheel. there is a hole in the camshaft that the other timing tool should fall into. If it is not square you can undo the cam adjust bolts and turn the cam until it is correct.
    BUT IMHO it is more likely to be leaking washers seeing that it is so common.
    there are a million Youtubes on how to replace the washers.
    Regards PhilipA

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Travelling (NFA)
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohica View Post
    Do you mean cylinder balance? on the Nanocom? I had the same, it was the high pressure section of the fuel pump failing.
    Interesting!!
    I replaced the fuel pump with a new unit about 3 years ago .. but it was one of these clone units. Maybe it's failing again.
    2001 Disco 2 - EU3 TD5 Auto
    (Build Date: 08/01)
    Mods: 2" Lift, HD Springs, Rear Bags,
    ECU upgrade, IC, Silicone Pipes, EGR, De-web,
    Digital EGT, Boost & Trans, 160W Spots,
    12000lb Winch, Icom UHF & Codan NGT HF
    245 75R16 Toyo 'Open Country' M/T's


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Travelling (NFA)
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipA View Post
    The other thing I noticed some time back was the Nanacom indicated quite large variations on the injector timings. Timing chain issue?


    This is usually caused by leaking injector washers into the combustion chamber. The orings at the top can be good so no diesel in oil but if the washers are bad, it could cause poor running hard starting and poor economy.

    You can check your cam timing quite easily. Turn the engine to TDC firing and place a drill or the correct timing tool into the flywheel. there is a hole in the camshaft that the other timing tool should fall into. If it is not square you can undo the cam adjust bolts and turn the cam until it is correct.
    BUT IMHO it is more likely to be leaking washers seeing that it is so common.
    there are a million Youtubes on how to replace the washers.
    Regards PhilipA
    Thanks Philip ... I haven't done the washers and seals as yet because there was no evidence of diesel in the oil or cleanliness around the injector mounts themselves, but you may well be right so I think I'll change them anyway. Have also avoided doing them because of no injector removal tool .. but I can make something up to suit.
    2001 Disco 2 - EU3 TD5 Auto
    (Build Date: 08/01)
    Mods: 2" Lift, HD Springs, Rear Bags,
    ECU upgrade, IC, Silicone Pipes, EGR, De-web,
    Digital EGT, Boost & Trans, 160W Spots,
    12000lb Winch, Icom UHF & Codan NGT HF
    245 75R16 Toyo 'Open Country' M/T's


  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Williamstown, Victoria
    Posts
    2,185
    Quote Originally Posted by rapserv View Post
    Interesting!!
    I replaced the fuel pump with a new unit about 3 years ago .. but it was one of these clone units. Maybe it's failing again.
    I bought just the VDO pump and replaced the pump in the unit. I'd rather not throw away all this plastic, and the cost is half price!!
    D2a Td5 Manual, Chawton White. aka "Daisy"
    Build date 11th Oct 2002
    Freelander 2 2011, manual, the daughter calls it Perri
    Before I had a Land Rover I did not have any torque wrenches. Now I have three.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Travelling (NFA)
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohica View Post
    I bought just the VDO pump and replaced the pump in the unit. I'd rather not throw away all this plastic, and the cost is half price!!
    Where did you purchase the replacement pump if you don't mind me asking?
    2001 Disco 2 - EU3 TD5 Auto
    (Build Date: 08/01)
    Mods: 2" Lift, HD Springs, Rear Bags,
    ECU upgrade, IC, Silicone Pipes, EGR, De-web,
    Digital EGT, Boost & Trans, 160W Spots,
    12000lb Winch, Icom UHF & Codan NGT HF
    245 75R16 Toyo 'Open Country' M/T's


  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Williamstown, Victoria
    Posts
    2,185
    D2a Td5 Manual, Chawton White. aka "Daisy"
    Build date 11th Oct 2002
    Freelander 2 2011, manual, the daughter calls it Perri
    Before I had a Land Rover I did not have any torque wrenches. Now I have three.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!