Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: TD5 fuel purge... how long?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hookturnistan, currently
    Posts
    7,950

    TD5 fuel purge... how long?

    My D2 has not started for probably 2 years. The tank has been out for a large part of this. I have run the purge cycle maybe 9 times with no joy. How many times before I decide that theres something else wrong?
    ​JayTee

    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. Sir Terry Pratchett

    2000 D2 TD5 Auto: Tins
    1994 D1 300TDi Manual: Dave
    1980 SIII Petrol Tray: Doris

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Melbourn(ish)
    Posts
    25,813
    2 1 minute runs.

    the first you're listening to it, if it doesnt sound right, check the fuel level and crack the fitting on the FPR.

    if thats good and it doesnt prime up and try on the second 1 minute check you put the lines on in the right order and that you have fuel in the tank.

    Yes, I have been called out to one that wouldnt prime up because the tank was empty. (aux tank was mysteriously full though)
    Dave

    "In a Landrover the other vehicle is your crumple zone."

    For spelling call Rogets, for mechanicing call me.

    Fozzy, 2.25D SIII Ex DCA Ute
    TDI D1(parting/ed)
    Tdi autoManual d1 (Kept it for the girlfriend)
    Archaeopteryx 1990 6x6 dual cab(This things staying)


    If you've benefited from one or more of my posts please remember, your taxes paid for my skill sets, I'm just trying to make sure you get your monies worth.
    If you think you're in front on the deal, pay it forwards.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hookturnistan, currently
    Posts
    7,950
    Quote Originally Posted by Blknight.aus View Post
    2 1 minute runs.

    the first you're listening to it, if it doesnt sound right, check the fuel level and crack the fitting on the FPR.

    if thats good and it doesnt prime up and try on the second 1 minute check you put the lines on in the right order and that you have fuel in the tank.

    Yes, I have been called out to one that wouldnt prime up because the tank was empty. (aux tank was mysteriously full though)
    Thanks Dave. Got 40 litres in it. The pump was squealing at first, is quieter now. Trying the FPR now.
    ​JayTee

    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. Sir Terry Pratchett

    2000 D2 TD5 Auto: Tins
    1994 D1 300TDi Manual: Dave
    1980 SIII Petrol Tray: Doris

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hookturnistan, currently
    Posts
    7,950
    From the left the lines are white green blue black. Can hear something at the fpr, but Im a bit deaf. No fuel out of the top line at the fpr.
    ​JayTee

    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. Sir Terry Pratchett

    2000 D2 TD5 Auto: Tins
    1994 D1 300TDi Manual: Dave
    1980 SIII Petrol Tray: Doris

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hookturnistan, currently
    Posts
    7,950
    Quote Originally Posted by Tins View Post
    From the left the lines are white green blue black. Can hear something at the fpr, but Im a bit deaf. No fuel out of the top line at the fpr.
    Belay that, got some fuel then.
    ​JayTee

    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. Sir Terry Pratchett

    2000 D2 TD5 Auto: Tins
    1994 D1 300TDi Manual: Dave
    1980 SIII Petrol Tray: Doris

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hookturnistan, currently
    Posts
    7,950
    Its trying to start but it just wont catch.
    ​JayTee

    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. Sir Terry Pratchett

    2000 D2 TD5 Auto: Tins
    1994 D1 300TDi Manual: Dave
    1980 SIII Petrol Tray: Doris

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Tins View Post
    Its trying to start but it just wont catch.
    had similar experience in bros D2 and a mates Defender.

    As it's trying to start, do you use accelerator?
    Try quickly pumping the throttle too .. worked on both of the above when we've had the same problem.
    Cheers,
    Arthur.

    '99 D1 300 Tdi Auto

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    west of Transylvania
    Posts
    3,124
    A full purge sequence lasts about 3 minutes, you have to pump te throttle 5 times then wait untill the MIL stops from flashing and after that crank it with full thottle untill it starts(not more than 20 seconds though) if it still doesnt start use some spray to get it running cos if it's an air lock in the rail it should push it out this way

    BTW are you sure that the pump is delivering HP cos it can work only on LP so it runs but doesnt deliver enough pressure, measure mV across fuse F10 in situ while you hear the pump and if you dont get around 21 mV but around 10 or less you need a new pump.
    Discovery Td5 (2000), manual, tuned

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hookturnistan, currently
    Posts
    7,950
    Quote Originally Posted by sierrafery View Post
    A full purge sequence lasts about 3 minutes, you have to pump te throttle 5 times then wait untill the MIL stops from flashing and after that crank it with full thottle untill it starts(not more than 20 seconds though) if it still doesnt start use some spray to get it running cos if it's an air lock in the rail it should push it out this way

    BTW are you sure that the pump is delivering HP cos it can work only on LP so it runs but doesnt deliver enough pressure, measure mV across fuse F10 in situ while you hear the pump and if you dont get around 21 mV but around 10 or less you need a new pump.
    Must have done that 20 times. Thought Id found the culprit when I checked the red plug which was full of oil, but no. Im beginning to think that you might be right about the pump. Its been dry for nearly two years.
    Had enough for today and wont see it again until next weekend.
    ​JayTee

    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. Sir Terry Pratchett

    2000 D2 TD5 Auto: Tins
    1994 D1 300TDi Manual: Dave
    1980 SIII Petrol Tray: Doris

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by Blknight.aus View Post
    ...check the fuel level and crack the fitting on the FPR.
    Pardon my ignorance but which fitting would that be, the HP supply to the FRP or the return to the fuel cooler (EU3 model)?

    I have this ahead of me but with the added complication of oil drained from the sump for a year (long story).

    Cheers
    Martin

    The secret to happiness is to truly want what you already have
    Oil leak?...Nah, sophisticated anti corrosion system!


    04 D2a TD5 Manual Snowy My toy
    16.5 D4 TDV6 Auto No Name Wife's toy
    03 Def 90 TD5 Son's toy
    97 D1 300Tdi Gone



Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!