Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Dormobile??

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,193

    Dormobile??

    I stumbled across a S2a(?) "Dormobile" in the weekend. (I'll post some piccies when I get them out of my phone). Does anyone on here own or know something about the Dormobile Land Rovers?




    I gather the Dormobile relates to the aftermarket fitment of "Martin-Walter Ltd" camper internals with a hinged roof arrangement and that they are a little rare on Land Rovers, although fairly common on VW Combi's and various Bedford trucks. The thing intrigued me, although it is in a sad state inside being virtually gutted of anything "camper-ish". I'm not sure of the state of the running gear as I only had time for a few photo's as it was parked on a verge. Doesn't look like it's been moved for quite some time.

    I have childhood memories of spending nights in Dad's VW Combi camper in Kenya in the late 60's and early 70's, and the idea of something a little "different" kind of appeals. I suspect a "heart" decision rather than a "sensible" decision coming on.

    I'd love to hear some more about them and particularly any advice as to what to look for aside from the usual S2a stuff. Aspects of the actual camper elements that might cause problems or are difficult/impossible to do anything about.

    Cheers
    John B
    Last edited by JayBoRover; 7th June 2011 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Added photo's - thanks iPhone!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Clifton Springs, Vic.
    Posts
    841
    Check this site out
    Expedition Land Rover site
    Cheers
    Danny

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,193
    Quote Originally Posted by kaa45 View Post
    Check this site out
    Expedition Land Rover site
    Cheers
    Danny
    Yep, I've already scoured the Net but that's pretty limited in the information I'm looking for. I guess that with the estimate of only 725 4-door 109" S2a's fitted with the Dormobile kits from new, it's a small number to get buying experience from. Still, someone on here might know something. I am led to believe there's another Dormobile here in WA, a bit North of Perth, so might try and track the owner of that down. Anyone??

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Dayboro, Qld
    Posts
    2,546
    Hi John,
    What info do you need ?? They are a rare piece of kit but most of the internal features are available through reproductions in the uk except the seats.
    A friend and I were considering the vehicle in your pics, but with transport costs etc. it isn't a viable restoration project. It also has a fair bit of rust.

    My Dormobile has an interesting history and is supposedly the last conversion that Martin Walter did on a landrover.However all records were lost from Martin Walter and I only have information from it's owner.
    There is a red dormobile in the Perth area, it was featured in a magazine a year or two back.I'll look it out and see if if there are any contact details.

    It would be nice to see this one restored too.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Narrogin WA
    Posts
    3,092
    John,
    Have a look on the REMLR Discoveries page/ Spotted in My Travels, one of the last pages. Rusty Bulkhead has looked at this car I think, so PM him and see what he thinks.

    I was tempted myself but I have too many Rovers already,

    Cheers Charlie

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,193
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryd View Post
    Hi John,
    What info do you need ?? They are a rare piece of kit but most of the internal features are available through reproductions in the uk except the seats.
    A friend and I were considering the vehicle in your pics, but with transport costs etc. it isn't a viable restoration project. It also has a fair bit of rust.

    My Dormobile has an interesting history and is supposedly the last conversion that Martin Walter did on a landrover.However all records were lost from Martin Walter and I only have information from it's owner.
    There is a red dormobile in the Perth area, it was featured in a magazine a year or two back.I'll look it out and see if if there are any contact details.

    It would be nice to see this one restored too.
    The info I'm after is more of what you've posted. What is special about the seats? What should be looked at to see if the seats are genuine? Are the bunks still available as reproductions as part of the "internal features" you mention? Is the interior all timber or steel framed? How are the bunks arranged and how are they mounted? Pictures of the interior seem especially rare on the Net. I've come across a couple but not much detail in them.

    I noticed a bit of rust just from my brief scan over it. I didn't open anything up or look underneath as I was running late for a lunch.

    I'll appreciate if you manage to dig out contact details for someone local. I'd love to have a look at one that's in reasonable condition before having a closer look at the blue one.

    How bad would it be to "relocate" the Dormobile "bits" onto another S2a? If the rust is really bad maybe that would be an option to see another Dormobile essentially saved?

    Quote Originally Posted by chazza
    John,
    Have a look on the REMLR Discoveries page/ Spotted in My Travels, one of the last pages. Rusty Bulkhead has looked at this car I think, so PM him and see what he thinks.

    I was tempted myself but I have too many Rovers already,
    Thanks Charlie. I wonder if Rusty Bulkhead is the guy that put me on to looking at the Dormobile. I picked up some wheels from a guy in the same area that had bought a S3 donor because he wanted a better bulkhead as his own is rusted.
    Too many Rovers? My wife is very afraid that's where I'm heading. With 5 acres to park on she's terrified that I'll end up with LR carcasses everywhere.

    Cheers
    John B

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Dayboro, Qld
    Posts
    2,546
    message sent John

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,193
    I rang the Dormobile owner today to arrange to come and have a look this weekend. He has changed his mind and the Dormobile is no longer on the market. He says his heart won't let him sell it even though his head is telling him he should. Apparently a friend convinced him it would make a great promotional vehicle for his new business.

    I really hope this means it will stop being neglected and get a restoration, which is great news. Then it just needs to be broken out of "promotional duties" and start being used for outback camping again and all will be well with the world again.

    So for me it's back to stripping my donor, completing the little jobs on DeeDee and starting on the 80" S1.
    Cheers
    John B

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Clifton Springs, Vic.
    Posts
    841
    Did you look at the site?
    Dormobile features
    Land Rover Dormobile pictures 1
    How much more do you want?

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!