Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3139404142 LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 419

Thread: Ineos Grenadier, do you reckon it'll take off?

  1. #401
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Sydney's gritty inner west (2204) and verdant Mount Wilson
    Posts
    6,970
    Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    (the availability of schematics and parts lists etc will ensure that in part).
    Please don't take this the wrong way.

    Needing this is an admission that you will need that. I have the complete GTR stuff for my Defender...rarely have I needed it. So if the Grenadier has that why would you need it? The modern machine is beyond accessibility for us mere mortals let alone a grease monkey in Oodnadatta.

    That's why folks have Toyotas!

    But the reality is that the things that break are the basic things, not the fancy things.
    Last edited by one_iota; 13th December 2021 at 07:03 PM.
    Mahn England

    DEFENDER 110 wagon '08

    http://www.aulro.com/afvb/members-ri...elvinator.html

    equipped with TARDIS aerodynamics and backward time travel capability

    Ex 300Tdi Disco:


  2. #402
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Brisbane West
    Posts
    6,761
    Quote Originally Posted by one_iota View Post
    Please don't take this the wrong way.

    Needing this is an admission that you will need that. I have the complete GTR stuff for my Defender...rarely have I needed it. So if the Grenadier has that why would you need it? The modern machine is beyond accessibility for us mere mortals let alone a grease monkey in Oodnadatta.

    That's why folks have Toyotas!

    But the reality is that the things that break are the basic things, not the fancy things.
    Haha. No I disagree. They are just showing that the enthusiast can modify, add to, service and (down the track like any new vehicle) repair their pride and joy. Even adding spot lights, it is very handy to have the electrical diagrams for things like high beam trigger wires etc. Cheers

    PS. I also don't agree that Yota are the Japanese brand benchmark any more in terms of pure reliability in 4wds.

  3. #403
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    3,128
    Quote Originally Posted by one_iota View Post
    So I'll put it this way: if the Ineos Grenadier is the solution what was the problem?

    (An excellent discussion from all here by the way!)
    I secretly hankered after a traditional Defender for years...probably still do. I also seriously considered a 70 series until spending time with a mate of 40 years at the property he manages. There I drove the 70 series and realised that unless it had 20 bags of cement on the tray the ride was at odds with the health of my spinal cord! Reports of NVH with the Defender /Puma and other issues tended to put me off especially when I realised that I was in fact at the time, requiring a practical vehicle which would also serve as a comfortable interstate tourer to support elderly parents.... Time passes!
    The Ineos Grenadier seems to represent that "practical" vehicle, their stated design criteria requires it inter alia to be a "comfortable" workplace...hence the Recaro supplied seats, attention to NVH and suspension settings tuned to specific markets. If I owned one, I wouldn't have any qualms about drilling holes in it, adding brackets etc etc...it "invites" DIY tinkering. My former P38 certainly did not lend itself to this, nor would a new Defender (in my opinion)... I had a good look at one in a car park the other day... "luxurious" came to mind... I'd be hesitant to take it off road for fear of hashing the paintwork!... I don't think one can get away from some electronics... but it's the heavy duty underpinnings which appear to set the Grenadier apart... like the 70 series Toyotas...but more up-to-date. Food for thought...
    2019 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDI (does the job .. lacks the poise and presence of the P38!)
    MY99 P38 4.6 (Thor) gone... now gracing the byways of Tasmania
    Subaru Impreza S (SWMBO's pride and joy)

  4. #404
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by one_iota View Post
    So I'll put it this way: if the Ineos Grenadier is the solution what was the problem?

    (An excellent discussion from all here by the way!)
    From my point of view:
    I want something that's rugged like a Defender, has decent power and an auto box for towing, yet is comfy for long trips, and looks nice enough that I can take the mrs out to dinner and not look out of place. Basically just a Defender for the current year.
    I don't like how most dual cab utes drive, being so oversprung in the back, and some of them have pretty severe reliability issues (Ranger) or only come with a 4cyl and need a warranty voiding tune to comfortably tow heavy things.
    Aside from that, the closest thing is probably a 70 series, but chassis wise they feel a step back from Defender, the interiors slightly better but that's not a high bar to jump over, and again only a manual box.

    -edit-
    I also think the new Defender is far too complex and LR have such a terrible track record with reliability and they're very expensive. I don't doubt that they are a good car, but they aren't really a Defender, and don't suit what I want.

  5. #405
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Whyalla, SA
    Posts
    5,482




    More to come.
    Cheers
    Tombie

    AULRO Holiday Reward Points Winner!

  6. #406
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Whyalla, SA
    Posts
    5,482




    What else would you turn up in? Ineos Grenadier, do you reckon it'll take off?

    According to the team 8-9 of every ten people coming to look at them turned up in a Land Rover of some description.
    Cheers
    Tombie

    AULRO Holiday Reward Points Winner!

  7. #407
    Homestar's Avatar
    Homestar is offline Super Moderator & CA manager Gold Subscriber
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sunbury, VIC
    Posts
    19,216

    Ineos Grenadier, do you reckon it'll take off?

    Quote Originally Posted by econti View Post
    From my point of view:
    I want something that's rugged like a Defender, has decent power and an auto box for towing, yet is comfy for long trips, and looks nice enough that I can take the mrs out to dinner and not look out of place. Basically just a Defender for the current year.
    I don't like how most dual cab utes drive, being so oversprung in the back, and some of them have pretty severe reliability issues (Ranger) or only come with a 4cyl and need a warranty voiding tune to comfortably tow heavy things.
    Aside from that, the closest thing is probably a 70 series, but chassis wise they feel a step back from Defender, the interiors slightly better but that's not a high bar to jump over, and again only a manual box.

    -edit-
    I also think the new Defender is far too complex and LR have such a terrible track record with reliability and they're very expensive. I don't doubt that they are a good car, but they aren't really a Defender, and don't suit what I want.
    Probably a bit unfair to bag out LR so much IMO as they are always in front of the other players - always have been - and I think this is partly why they at times arenít as reliable or seem more complicated than other vehicles. Lots of OEMís play it safe regurgitating the same tech model after model with only minor tweaks.

    The new Land Rover line up isnít really for me overall - BUT - Iíll tell you now after driving a new Defender Iíd definitely have one of I had the money for one and an Ineos- but the Ineos is on my list.


    1977 101 FC - 'Chucky'
    1986 Classic RR - 'Thing'
    1977 Jaguar XJ6

  8. #408
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Central West NSW
    Posts
    12,925
    Quote Originally Posted by Tombie View Post

    What else would you turn up in? Ineos Grenadier, do you reckon it'll take off?

    According to the team 8-9 of every ten people coming to look at them turned up in a Land Rover of some description.
    Tombie, the Grenadier looks a fair bit wider than the Defender? Is that just the way they look or are they actually?
    Cheers
    Slunnie


    ~ Discovery II Td5 ~ Discovery 3dr V8 ~ Series IIa 6cyl ute ~ Series II V8 ute ~

  9. #409
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Whyalla, SA
    Posts
    5,482
    Quote Originally Posted by Slunnie View Post
    Tombie, the Grenadier looks a fair bit wider than the Defender? Is that just the way they look or are they actually?
    Sitting in both the front and back - itís much larger by comparison.

    No squash against B pillars, significant leg room for both front and rear passengers.

    When I was in the back - 3 full width seats - Em had the front seat set for her with plenty of room. I had about 10 inches between my knees and the back of her seat.

    Sitting in the front - it was like being in the D4 with a wider middle console.



    Cheers
    Tombie

    AULRO Holiday Reward Points Winner!

  10. #410
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    NSW far north coast
    Posts
    17,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Slunnie View Post
    Tombie, the Grenadier looks a fair bit wider than the Defender? Is that just the way they look or are they actually?
    Slunnie, did you realise the D2 has a 100mm/126mm-F/R wider track than a Deefer or D1?
    And the D2 isn't big.

    I had no idea until 2 weeks ago.
    The 90/110/130 is Series dimensions inside.
    Looks like Ineos have addressed a major complaint about the old girls.

Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3139404142 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!