Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Instrument Cluster info required

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Newcastle NSW
    Posts
    49

    Instrument Cluster info required

    Anyone have a spare Freelander instrument cluster handy..??

    Am thinking of wiring in an extra alarm (more on this later) and rather than drilling holes in the dashboard to mount the alarm light I am hoping to be able to create my own alarm graphic for the instrument cluster.

    The display panel across the bottom of the instrumentation has graphics for Oil Pressur/ABS/HDC etc....I can also make out a few other graphics that are not applicable to my model.

    I am assuming that theses graphics are carried on some form of "transparency" and back lit by LED's

    If someone has a spare cluster would you mind taking a look and let me know if these graphics are easily accessible...are there any blank spaces etc

    Am hoping to be able to print my own graphic using overhead projecter transparency and printing the graphic with a colour laser.

    For those wondering what I am up to, I am hoping to install an industrial strength low water alarm. Using some pretty robust (read expensive) components. I figure as I am going to all the trouble to make something bulletproof, I may as well go all out, and integrate it properly into the instrumentation.

    The Alarm system will be a subject matter for a separate thread.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Renmark SA
    Posts
    15
    the graphics panel is just a strip of tinted plastic, very easily removed,
    and there are spare locations for additional leds.

    I thought british cars were renowned for being hard to work on, I've
    never seen a car with an instrument panel easier to pull apart.

    I only pulled mine apart to look for the low fuel lamp, but I didn't find one.
    Is there a low fuel indicator (FL1)
    The wife ran out of diesel last week (luckily in the driveway), such things as looking at the fuel gauge obviously are unnecessary.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Canberra Australia
    Posts
    13,570
    Quote Originally Posted by Jof View Post
    I only pulled mine apart to look for the low fuel lamp, but I didn't find one.
    Is there a low fuel indicator (FL1)
    The wife ran out of diesel last week (luckily in the driveway), such things as looking at the fuel gauge obviously are unnecessary.
    No low fuel light on the earlier FL1s

    Garry
    REMLR 243

    2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
    1977 FC 101
    1973 Haflinger AP700
    1971 Jaguar V12 E-Type Series 3 Roadster
    1957 Series 1 88"
    1957 Series 1 88" Station Wagon

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  4. #4
    Hi All,

    i am looking for the same. my 1998 freelander has a spare hole with a red engine symbol on it, plan to use this one for a low coolant alarm. coolant already fitted and working, just want to tidy up warning light installation

    Would like to do something similar for low fuel, have ordered 'low fuel' kit from MG-Rover UK forum poster 'technozen' It comes with a red LED which you install directly into the instrument panel face near the fuel guage. i would prefer to use one of the other spare holes. Do the later freelanders have low fuel warning?

    the lights are not LED but standard lamps, mounted in special bayonets which screw into the back of the panel directly into the circuit board. i have sourced a spare bayonet fitting which i plan to drill out to suit diode, will have to remove the contacts off the fitting.

    if you are curious i found the instrument panel very easy to dismantle and to re assemble, should take normal person about 10mins

    Regards,

    Carl.

    C

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Newcastle NSW
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Gilmore View Post
    Hi All,

    i am looking for the same. my 1998 freelander has a spare hole with a red engine symbol on it, plan to use this one for a low coolant alarm. coolant already fitted and working, just want to tidy up warning light installation

    Would like to do something similar for low fuel, have ordered 'low fuel' kit from MG-Rover UK forum poster 'technozen' It comes with a red LED which you install directly into the instrument panel face near the fuel guage. i would prefer to use one of the other spare holes. Do the later freelanders have low fuel warning?

    the lights are not LED but standard lamps, mounted in special bayonets which screw into the back of the panel directly into the circuit board. i have sourced a spare bayonet fitting which i plan to drill out to suit diode, will have to remove the contacts off the fitting.

    if you are curious i found the instrument panel very easy to dismantle and to re assemble, should take normal person about 10mins

    Regards,

    Carl.

    C
    Thanks for the info Carl...

    Will the low (5L) setting work with the Freelander fuel tank..??

  6. #6
    the guy i am dealing with from the mg rover forum also has a freelander and says the voltages from the tank sender are the same value as the rover 200. should have the kit in a few days, he makes them on demand, will trypost some pix when i finished both the low fuel light and coolant loss alarm

    am told the rover has the caption i am after, still trying to track down a caption from a later model freelander

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Newcastle NSW
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Gilmore View Post
    the guy i am dealing with from the mg rover forum also has a freelander and says the voltages from the tank sender are the same value as the rover 200. should have the kit in a few days, he makes them on demand, will trypost some pix when i finished both the low fuel light and coolant loss alarm

    am told the rover has the caption i am after, still trying to track down a caption from a later model freelander
    Not 100% sure, but think that later model Freelanders have an LED built into the Fuel gauge...But don't quote me...

    I will do some research...

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!