Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: Heads up for diabetics.

  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    West Gippsland - Victoria
    Posts
    2,847
    Quote Originally Posted by superquag View Post
    ......................... In the interim, there's always the Internet, as well as off-shore suppliers..

    Be very, very careful here. I've got a feeling that the American testing scale for blood sugar level is different to that used in Australia. ie. if using equipment/test strips etc. calibrated for the American system the numerical results gained are NOT the same as the Australian scale.


    Deano
    66 SIIA SWB .......73 SIII LWB diesel wgn
    86 RR 'classic'......99 Range Rover P38a
    94 Defender 110..95 Defender 130 Ute
    96 D1 300TDi.......99 D2 TD5 (current)
    04 D2a Td5..........02 Disco 2 V8

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    What do you mean?
    Its very tough at times for people with Diabetes.

    Friends or family with a mate or family with diabetes see or help at times with the side effects, rushing to hospital, under or over dosage of meds, out of meds. A man I know refuses to be tested when it is clear he needs to. His wife gets a blast from him each time she tries to help. Lows can have distressing impacts, highs can cause significant medical complications as well. Suspect we could add a lot more. Happily taking care of our friends and family who have Diabetes means we are luck enough to have them.

    I have a family member and several friends with it.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Woolgoolga
    Posts
    7,310
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyDiver View Post
    Its very tough at times for people with Diabetes.

    Friends or family with a mate or family with diabetes see or help at times with the side effects, rushing to hospital, under or over dosage of meds, out of meds. A man I know refuses to be tested when it is clear he needs to. His wife gets a blast from him each time she tries to help. Lows can have distressing impacts, highs can cause significant medical complications as well. Suspect we could add a lot more. Happily taking care of our friends and family who have Diabetes means we are luck enough to have them.

    I have a family member and several friends with it.
    I have had it most of my life (type1) and so has my brother, for us its just life, you get on with it. But now using the dexcom, its a real eye opener when it comes to food time.
    Damien
    ------------------------------------------------

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    nr Woodford SEQld
    Posts
    611
    Daughterís little dog has diabetes.
    Insulin injection twice a day.
    Has to check his bsl regularly.
    Now, to complicate things, poor little bloke has developed dementia.
    Days are numbered.
    Sad times.
    Ron

    2013 D4 SDV6 SE

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    I have had it most of my life (type1) and so has my brother, for us its just life, you get on with it. But now using the dexcom, its a real eye opener when it comes to food time.
    you get on with it
    Yes Vern, The tough just get on with it and not moan mate. Bravo Zulu.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Woolgoolga
    Posts
    7,310
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyDiver View Post
    you get on with it
    Yes Vern, The tough just get on with it and not moan mate. Bravo Zulu.
    The difference with type1, is you have no choice, no life choices to prevent it, type2 well, most of type2's are diet related or lack of excercise etc...i'm not being Zulu, or saying suck it up, its a **** illness, but i have this for life, it won't get any easier, if only i could take pills and watch my diet instead of injecting myself 4 times a day just so i can live. This new way of watching your blood sugars can help fine tune my insuling intake, and help with my massive ups and downs, mood swings and huge anxiety i suffer day in day out. If you can afford to or can get one through a health care card etc..get onto it.
    Damien
    ------------------------------------------------

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Gosnells
    Posts
    5,203
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanoH View Post
    Be very, very careful here. I've got a feeling that the American testing scale for blood sugar level is different to that used in Australia. ie. if using equipment/test strips etc. calibrated for the American system the numerical results gained are NOT the same as the Australian scale.


    Deano
    Agreed. They use a different metric, (pun intended) mg/dl from memory, whereas we use mmol/l Anyway, there is a conversion scale, 'divide by 18 ' to come back to REAL numbers.
    On the other hand, their's is nice and dumb.. - er, "easy". Below 100 is good, over is BADD

    https://www.disabled-world.com/calcu...charts/bgl.php - Nice big chart there.


    I've not tried to mix US/ AUS meters / strips, - can't see it ending well.

    I prefered to use HbA1c every 3 months, as it's a realistic 'average' AND can't be cheated. That, and doing my best to "NOT' eat the foods which make, & keep me diabetic, carbs.
    I'm horrified at just how much the number has gone up since 24/7 gyms closed here, didn't realize how much it affected things for me. Yes, I've lost conditioning since - muscle mass mainly - from lack of resistance exercise and HIIT from rowing. Remembering only a few of the last 12 days hasn't helped either.

    I suspect T2 diabetics go backwards faster

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Horsham Victoria
    Posts
    445
    Gday Frantic,
    I had a look at the link for NDSs I canít find where it says the changes you mentioned.
    I asked in our local chemist this arvo they donít seem to know anything about it, and said they doubted that would happen. Blowed if I know Iíve stocked up on some supplies anyway.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    16,539
    Quote Originally Posted by RobMichelle View Post
    Gday Frantic,
    I had a look at the link for NDSs I canít find where it says the changes you mentioned.
    I asked in our local chemist this arvo they donít seem to know anything about it, and said they doubted that would happen. Blowed if I know Iíve stocked up on some supplies anyway.
    Look at the date of the posts .
    REMLR 243

    2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
    1977 FC 101
    1973 Haflinger AP700
    1971 Jaguar V12 E-Type Series 3 Roadster
    1957 Series 1 88"
    1957 Series 1 88" Station Wagon

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Horsham Victoria
    Posts
    445
    Ah damn, I normally pick up on that Heads up for diabetics.sucks to be a human at times lol

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!