Page 106 of 106 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106
Results 1,051 to 1,055 of 1055

Thread: Trivia and other useless but interesting items

  1. #1051
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Adelaide Hills. South Australia
    Posts
    8,146
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyDiver View Post
    Trivial for us- Stefan might be sweating

    Stefan Thomas, a German-born programmer living in San Francisco, has two guesses left to figure out a password that is worth, as of this week, about $220 million.

    The password will let him unlock a small hard drive, known as an IronKey, which contains the private keys to a digital wallet that holds 7,002 Bitcoin. While the price of Bitcoin dropped sharply on Monday, it is still up more than 50 percent from just a month ago, when it passed its previous all-time high of around $20,000.
    The problem is that Mr. Thomas years ago lost the paper where he wrote down the password for his IronKey, which gives users 10 guesses before it seizes up and encrypts its contents forever. He has since tried eight of his most commonly used password formulations — to no avail.
    “I would just lay in bed and think about it,” Mr. Thomas said. “Then I would go to the computer with some new strategy, and it wouldn’t work, and I would be desperate again.”

    He is not alone

    "Of the existing 18.5 million Bitcoin, around 20 percent — currently worth around $140 billion — appear to be in lost or otherwise stranded wallets, according to the cryptocurrency data firm Chainalysis. Wallet Recovery Services, a business that helps find lost digital keys, said it had gotten 70 requests a day from people who wanted help recovering their riches, three times the number of a month ago."

    If that all poor Stefan needed to worry about whilst in bed, he deserves to lose it.

    Still, I hope he finds it after all.

  2. #1052
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,974
    Quote Originally Posted by 4bee View Post
    If that all poor Stefan needed to worry about whilst in bed, he deserves to lose it.

    Still, I hope he finds it after all.
    The other "$140 billion" locked/lost up is possibly resulting in a few peoples sleep being a little disturbed On a ship in Sydney a pay packet with CASH was dropped and blew over. With a nod from the Skipper I was shirtless and recovered the very soggy paper cash with a nice dive for the distraught careless twit who did buy me a beer so only reminded about it frequently

    Paper cash flash back

  3. #1053
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Adelaide Hills. South Australia
    Posts
    8,146
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyDiver View Post
    The other "$140 billion" locked/lost up is possibly resulting in a few peoples sleep being a little disturbed On a ship in Sydney a pay packet with CASH was dropped and blew over. With a nod from the Skipper I was shirtless and recovered the very soggy paper cash with a nice dive for the distraught careless twit who did buy me a beer so only reminded about it frequently

    Paper cash flash back


    If it had been Gold Bullion you would have had to say to Skip. " 'ang about Guvnor while I robe myself in my proper clobber, the Voyage to Hawaii will have to wait, 'igh tide or no 'igh Tide"

    Or if you don't drop yer haitches you wouldn't have said that..



    'e must have seen yer Username on AULRO.

  4. #1054
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,974

    technical performance of the planned weapon and concluded that its advertised -Fake?

    The next FAST things just might not be as cool as stated?

    Military experts call hypersonic warheads the next big thing in intercontinental warfare. They see the emerging arms, which can deliver nuclear or conventional munitions, as zipping along at up to five miles a second while zigzagging through the atmosphere to outwit early-warning satellites and some interceptors. The superfast weapons, experts say, lend themselves to surprise attacks.
    President Trump has bragged about his “super-dupers,” even referring to the planned weapon as “hydrosonic,” a brand of electric toothbrush. Last year, his budget asked the Pentagon to spend $3.2 billion on hypersonic arms research, up $600 million from the previous year’s request. And as President-elect Joseph R. Biden Jr. takes command of the nation’s military, he will have to consider whether to sustain the defense work undertaken in the Trump years.
    Now, independent experts have studied the technical performance of the planned weapon and concluded that its advertised features are more illusory than real. Their analysis is to be published this week in Science & Global Security.
    In an interview, David Wright, a physicist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and an author of the new analysis, called the superweapon a mirage.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/15/s...gtype=Homepage

    Honestly wow. Sounded so cool yet not

  5. #1055
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Adelaide Hills. South Australia
    Posts
    8,146
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyDiver View Post
    The next FAST things just might not be as cool as stated?

    Military experts call hypersonic warheads the next big thing in intercontinental warfare. They see the emerging arms, which can deliver nuclear or conventional munitions, as zipping along at up to five miles a second while zigzagging through the atmosphere to outwit early-warning satellites and some interceptors. The superfast weapons, experts say, lend themselves to surprise attacks.
    President Trump has bragged about his “super-dupers,” even referring to the planned weapon as “hydrosonic,” a brand of electric toothbrush. Last year, his budget asked the Pentagon to spend $3.2 billion on hypersonic arms research, up $600 million from the previous year’s request. And as President-elect Joseph R. Biden Jr. takes command of the nation’s military, he will have to consider whether to sustain the defense work undertaken in the Trump years.
    Now, independent experts have studied the technical performance of the planned weapon and concluded that its advertised features are more illusory than real. Their analysis is to be published this week in Science & Global Security.
    In an interview, David Wright, a physicist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and an author of the new analysis, called the superweapon a mirage.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/15/s...gtype=Homepage

    Honestly wow. Sounded so cool yet not

    Are those the same weapons that were recently trialled at Woomera one wonders?

    Over the last few years & lit up the sky around Adelaide on it's re-entry. Japanese mob.

    EDIT.
    https://www.google.com.au/search?sou...4dUDCAg&uact=5

Page 106 of 106 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!