View Poll Results: Do you agree with the ban on climbing Uluru?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    14 27.45%
  • No

    37 72.55%
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 137

Thread: The Banning of Climbing Uluru (Ayers Rock) - thoughts on this article?

  1. #61
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,490
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoMick View Post
    Specifically which statement is not factual? So far you've only offered your opinions.
    As have you.
    Disco, I'm not going to enter specifics, this matter has been done to death on a previous forum discussion....if you want to know my views, they are there for you to see, as are yours.
    As someone has said, we can all have differing views in this great country of ours, it's how we handle those differences which is important, in terms of which which, whilst I disagree with your views, I do respect them, I hope you can say the same.
    I'll leave it at that.
    Regards, Pickles.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Armstrong Creek, Qld
    Posts
    2,948
    Many years ago, whilst in W.A., I was looking forward to seeing some very well preserved dinosaur footprints.
    Now, these footprints were regarded as sacred by the local people and believed to be something altogether different i.e. the marks from the tears of two giant woman.

    Herein lies the quandary.
    Do I, as a person interested in the geology/palaeontology of Australia, have the right to inspect and take photos of the tracks or, do I respect the wishes of the "Owners" and steer clear of the place.

    Having nice stories to explain about how things came to be because, at the time, the actual causes were unknown, is a common theme across mankind but, should these myths take precedence over the facts?

    Footnote: I acquiesced to the wishes of the locals, more out of diplomacy than respect.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Saitch View Post

    Herein lies the quandary.
    .
    Not a quandary if land is not public. You do not have the right to go onto property and take photos. You ask for permission first.

    And to quote Pickles above in regards to factual supremacy:

    Definitely NOPE. Might be true in your mind, & indeed others, but many have different opinions, which they are entitled to, and with respect to all the "myth & hearsay" about, means that your version of the truth, or indeed anyone elses, is not necessarily, "The Truth",....it's simply your opinion, what you choose to believe, based on what you've been told/read,.....as is mine.
    Respect!

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Logan
    Posts
    19,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickles2 View Post
    As have you.
    Disco, I'm not going to enter specifics, this matter has been done to death on a previous forum discussion....if you want to know my views, they are there for you to see, as are yours.
    As someone has said, we can all have differing views in this great country of ours, it's how we handle those differences which is important, in terms of which which, whilst I disagree with your views, I do respect them, I hope you can say the same.
    I'll leave it at that.
    Regards, Pickles.
    Differing views are fine.
    I thought my posts were factual and I posted a link to support what I said. So, I thought I posted facts about the land ownership and the rights of the owners, as well as the well-known fact that people pee and poop on the rock, which seems disrespectful to me. If someone peed or pooped in Sydney Cathedral it would certainly be offensive.
    So, I'd still like to know which thing I posted you consider was an incorrect fact.
    My opinion, not presented as a fact, just an opinion, is that some people in society (not referring to anyone in particular) simply refuse to accept that Aboriginal land ownership is valid and go out of their way to disrespect it, in ways they wouldn't consider doing towards other land owners. Walking on Uluru is an example. My opinion.
    .
    2009 Defender 110 2.4. ARB bulbar, Ironman winch, Safari snorkel, Steinbauer chip, AP HD clutch, Lightforce spots, larger tank, Off Road Systems drawer, Traxide 160 controller, Tekonsha brakes, Mulgo seat runners, Uniden UHF, Nuggetstuff seat corners, breathers, Polaris GPS.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Armstrong Creek, Qld
    Posts
    2,948
    Quote Originally Posted by manic View Post
    Not a quandary if land is not public. You do not have the right to go onto property and take photos. You ask for permission first.

    And to quote Pickles above in regards to factual supremacy:



    Respect!
    So, "Fact" and "Fiction" don't come into consideration. If I refer to the "Conspiracy" thread on this forum then what you're stating is that the "Flat Earth Society" is correct?
    Is the moon really green cheese? No, we scoff at that but we have to "Believe" that the minerals that make up Rainbow Beach are really the remains of a shattered, rainbow coloured snake? Once again, a nice story but not true!
    In my occupation I was privileged to come across or have access to several Aborigine sites and artifacts and never once disrespected any. Quite the contrary. Before modern day requirements in such matters, we contacted the relevant authorities when, in one area of a mining lease, we came across a bora ring, a large fish constructed from rocks and a women's food preparation area, the existence of which was unknown to the locals at the time. These are the things that truly deserve respect.

    By the way, the land on which the prints I mentioned is public and access is now available. It was an analogy only.

  6. #66
    Homestar's Avatar
    Homestar is offline Super Moderator & CA manager Gold Subscriber
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sunbury, VIC
    Posts
    15,991
    Quote Originally Posted by Saitch View Post
    So, "Fact" and "Fiction" don't come into consideration. If I refer to the "Conspiracy" thread on this forum then what you're stating is that the "Flat Earth Society" is correct?
    Is the moon really green cheese? No, we scoff at that but we have to "Believe" that the minerals that make up Rainbow Beach are really the remains of a shattered, rainbow coloured snake? Once again, a nice story but not true!
    In my occupation I was privileged to come across or have access to several Aborigine sites and artifacts and never once disrespected any. Quite the contrary. Before modern day requirements in such matters, we contacted the relevant authorities when, in one area of a mining lease, we came across a bora ring, a large fish constructed from rocks and a women's food preparation area, the existence of which was unknown to the locals at the time. These are the things that truly deserve respect.

    By the way, the land on which the prints I mentioned is public and access is now available. It was an analogy only.
    Of course not - everyone knows it's cheddar...


    1977 101 FC - 'Chucky'
    1986 Classic RR - 'Thing'
    1976 Series III Tray
    1997 Honda CBR1000F
    2003 L322 - Gone to a new home.

    'Love with your heart - use your head for everything else.' - CaptainDisillusion

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Logan
    Posts
    19,158
    What? Not Venezuelan beaver?
    2009 Defender 110 2.4. ARB bulbar, Ironman winch, Safari snorkel, Steinbauer chip, AP HD clutch, Lightforce spots, larger tank, Off Road Systems drawer, Traxide 160 controller, Tekonsha brakes, Mulgo seat runners, Uniden UHF, Nuggetstuff seat corners, breathers, Polaris GPS.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Helensburgh, in the Illawarra, like the Shire but with class
    Posts
    12,764
    Quote Originally Posted by grey_ghost View Post
    Hi Baz,

    I am not sure that I agree with your argument there. To me it’s 2 different types of “ownership”

    A farmer buys the land, pays taxes, rates, land tax, etc.
    That wasn't the point I was trying to get across, more so the owner sets the rules.

    Personally I don't see the big deal really, there's a lot of things you can see and not touch, just gotta walk into any museum.
    VKS737 - Mobile 0478

    2011 Discovery 4 SE 2.7L
    2007 VW Golf Mk V TDi
    1973 Kawasaki H2-A 750
    2006 BMW R1200GS

    A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wandong,Victoria,Australia
    Posts
    2,265
    Quote Originally Posted by Redback View Post
    That wasn't the point I was trying to get across, more so the owner sets the rules.

    Personally I don't see the big deal really, there's a lot of things you can see and not touch, just gotta walk into any museum.
    Or just ask some wives!
    54 Series 1 86
    60 Series 2 88
    61 Series 2 109
    76 2 Door Range Rover
    78 101 Forward Control
    83 Stage 1 V8
    88 Perentie FFR
    90 4 Door Range Rover
    93 Discovery 1 200 Tdi
    98 Freelander 1

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Logan
    Posts
    19,158
    Art galleries are paranoid about people touching.
    2009 Defender 110 2.4. ARB bulbar, Ironman winch, Safari snorkel, Steinbauer chip, AP HD clutch, Lightforce spots, larger tank, Off Road Systems drawer, Traxide 160 controller, Tekonsha brakes, Mulgo seat runners, Uniden UHF, Nuggetstuff seat corners, breathers, Polaris GPS.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!