Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 59

Thread: Toyota LandCruiser - Australia buys the most in the world

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wandong,Victoria,Australia
    Posts
    2,376

    Toyota LandCruiser - Australia buys the most in the world

    Well isn't this an interesting article - especially if it's true!

    With all of the talk in the various "New Defender" threads - this brings things into light a bit more.

    https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...-sales-120801/

    Imagine of there was 10,000,000 Series/110/Defenders running around out there
    54 Series 1 86
    60 Series 2 88
    61 Series 2 109
    76 2 Door Range Rover
    78 101 Forward Control
    83 Stage 1 V8
    88 Perentie FFR
    90 4 Door Range Rover
    93 Discovery 1 200 Tdi
    98 Freelander 1

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Normanhurst - Sydney
    Posts
    7,272
    It would be interesting to know what percentage of their 10,000,000 are still running!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ocean Reef WA
    Posts
    2,439
    "It would be interesting to know what percentage of their 10,000,000 are still running! " Heaps of them from my observation yesterday. Cook and I saw 3 of what I think were 40 series and of course mobs of newer models.
    I like the bit where Thiess reckoned the difference between Tojo and others was their response to problems. Of course that was in their early days when they wanted customers because it certainly wasn't their attitude to my sons 200 series probs. not that many years back when they first came out. Took them a very long time to fix the engine and replace the transmission.
    Recently in Broome at Cable Beach CP I reckon that there were 3 Discos and about 300 LC mostly 200 series driven by fat old blow hards who looked at everything else with contempt. .
    AlanH.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Drouin East, Vic
    Posts
    2,070
    When Ford announced closure of their Australian manufacturing operations, I heard a bloke call in on the ABC who was a retired Ford dealer principal. He said that the dealer network had lobbied Ford for years to produce a vehicle as a direct competitor to the Land Cruiser but Ford had refused; a decade or so later the LC was the biggest selling vehicle in Aus and Ford was closing down.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Drouin East, Vic
    Posts
    2,070
    Quote Originally Posted by ATH View Post
    [I]
    I like the bit where Thiess reckoned the difference between Tojo and others was their response to problems. Of course that was in their early days when they wanted customers because it certainly wasn't their attitude to my sons 200 series probs. not that many years back when they first came out. Took them a very long time to fix the engine and replace the transmission.
    Their response to problems is no doubt different with a customer the size of Theiss to what it is with the individual customer. I was foreman at a Toyota dealer in the late 80s, we had one customer with a new vehicle that was using what he felt was an unacceptable amount of oil. Toyota's response was that we were to fill to the dipstick level, let him come back after exactly 1,000km and if it took less than one liter of oil, it was acceptable. I had the job of telling him that it was okay if his new car burnt 9.9 liters of oil between services.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by POD View Post
    Their response to problems is no doubt different with a customer the size of Theiss to what it is with the individual customer. I was foreman at a Toyota dealer in the late 80s, we had one customer with a new vehicle that was using what he felt was an unacceptable amount of oil. Toyota's response was that we were to fill to the dipstick level, let him come back after exactly 1,000km and if it took less than one liter of oil, it was acceptable. I had the job of telling him that it was okay if his new car burnt 9.9 liters of oil between services.
    That is not an uncommon procedure in a modern dealership of any brand. Well not the ones I've worked at.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,146
    Quote Originally Posted by POD View Post
    When Ford announced closure of their Australian manufacturing operations, I heard a bloke call in on the ABC who was a retired Ford dealer principal. He said that the dealer network had lobbied Ford for years to produce a vehicle as a direct competitor to the Land Cruiser but Ford had refused; a decade or so later the LC was the biggest selling vehicle in Aus and Ford was closing down.
    I heard Ford didn't even bother with the Army tender when they owned Land Rover, which is why they now run Merc G-wagens. I'm not sure why they don't have Cruisers, maybe don't want anything popular with the troops as pvt vehicles, too many bits might go missing. I had that problem in the SADF, when we used to have Weber DCD 36 carb's on one of the engines we used.
    2005 D3 TDV6 Present
    1999 D2 TD5 Gone

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Brisbane some of the time
    Posts
    8,438
    Quote Originally Posted by POD View Post
    When Ford announced closure of their Australian manufacturing operations, I heard a bloke call in on the ABC who was a retired Ford dealer principal. He said that the dealer network had lobbied Ford for years to produce a vehicle as a direct competitor to the Land Cruiser but Ford had refused; a decade or so later the LC was the biggest selling vehicle in Aus and Ford was closing down.
    Toyota produce vehicles people want,simple.Holden and Ford didn't,which is a shame.Some of their last vehicles were the best these brands had ever made.

    Toyota don't just fall out of bed and produce leading sales in just about every class of vehicle,in Aus.

    And have ridiculous reliability and resale(Please don't turn this thread into another Toyota bashing thread,there are enough on here as it is)

    Being the largest market for LC,i am sure Toyota Japan,listen closely to what Toyota Australia want.

    As an example Australia is a tiny market for JLR,so i don't think JLR in UK would listen as much to JLR Aus.Dont get me wrong,i am sure JLR want as many sales as they can here,but they would be more likely to change something on a vehicle for a large market,than the market here.
    paul

    D4 MY12 white,2.7(with a few more killer wasps) rear air,e diff,xenons,arb bar,7 seat ,18" bfg KO2

    2009 Defender 110 (son's)ARB
    bar,snorkle,rocksliders,rack,KM2's,BAS chip, always needs a wash

    '56 S1,been in the family since...'56

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Port Hedland WA
    Posts
    10
    It's fleet buyers that are making up the majority of the numbers (mining). Same as the Corolla fleet buyers make up the majority. Rental companies.


    Just saying.................

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Geraldton WA
    Posts
    4,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay1809 View Post
    It's fleet buyers that are making up the majority of the numbers (mining). Same as the Corolla fleet buyers make up the majority. Rental companies.


    Just saying.................
    Farmers would also make up a Significant number of buyers as far as utes go.
    You only get one shot at life, Aim well

    2004 D2 "S" V8 auto, with a few Mods
    2007 79 Series Landcruiser V8 Ute, With a few Mods.
    4.6m Quintrex boat
    5.4m Trailcraft Sportscab Boat
    20' Jayco Expanda caravan

    2012 Navara twincab GONE

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!