Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Wiil 5G mobile networks wreck weather forecasting?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    brighton, brisbane
    Posts
    24,942

    Wiil 5G mobile networks wreck weather forecasting?

    halfbacks were invented to stop prop forwards taking over the world.

    Sometimes courage doesnt roar, sometimes it's the little voice at the end of the day, that says " I'll try again tomorrow."

    Illegitimi non carborundum

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Adelaide Hills
    Posts
    11,372
    article is a bit misleading.
    there are several frequencies that 5g can run on, and as far as i know, no telco is using the one next to the weather one.
    also significant gap between the frequencies.
    Quote Originally Posted by DazzaTD5 View Post
    Its a land Rover Defender... you need a real mechanic

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Yass NSW
    Posts
    2,831
    Weather is 22.5Ghz

    Australian 5G is initially on 3.5 and 3.6Ghz and may eventually go to 26-28Ghz. Thats why we have a communications management authority

    Regards,
    Tote
    Go home, your igloo is on fire....
    MY2016 Aintree Green Defender 130 Cab Chassis
    2007 Discovery 3 - Gone
    Discovery 2 SE - Gone
    Discovery 1 TDI300- Gone
    1957 Series 1 107 ute - In pieces
    1955 Series 1 86 - parts
    Assorted Falcons and Jeeps.....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Central West NSW
    Posts
    23,596
    I do not think any Telco in Australia will get the frequency needed for humidity measurement. They might in the USA, where the denser population places more pressure on spectrum, but even there I doubt it will happen.
    John

    JDNSW
    1986 110 County 3.9 diesel
    1970 2a 109 2.25 petrol

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    98
    I thought weather forecasting was pretty wrecked already?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Central West NSW
    Posts
    23,596
    Now that was not very nice!
    John

    JDNSW
    1986 110 County 3.9 diesel
    1970 2a 109 2.25 petrol

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ormeau, Gold Coast,Queensland
    Posts
    9,836
    Quote Originally Posted by Johndoe View Post
    I thought weather forecasting was pretty wrecked already?
    why do you say that?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Adelaide Hills
    Posts
    11,372
    Quote Originally Posted by JDNSW View Post
    Now that was not very nice!
    its true tho
    Quote Originally Posted by DazzaTD5 View Post
    Its a land Rover Defender... you need a real mechanic

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    brighton, brisbane
    Posts
    24,942
    Quote Originally Posted by Tote View Post
    Weather is 22.5Ghz

    Australian 5G is initially on 3.5 and 3.6Ghz and may eventually go to 26-28Ghz. Thats why we have a communications management authority

    Regards,
    Tote
    Admittedly this is in Germany, but doesn't Australia have to comply with the ITU. ?

    "The problem is that the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) decided at its 2019 world conference (WRC-19) in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt, that the new 5G mobile network should operate in the range of 24.25 and 27.5 GHz.That leaves a slim 0.25 GHz of separation between 5G mobile telecommunications and that all-important water vapor range that meteorologists need to predict storms. It's almost inevitable that 5G its send-and-receive masts and our mobile devices will disrupt the flow of weather data to meteorologists."The emissions don't just stop at 24 GHz because every transmitting device has a certain range," says Simmer. "It's unavoidable with some bandwidths. There will be interference.""
    halfbacks were invented to stop prop forwards taking over the world.

    Sometimes courage doesnt roar, sometimes it's the little voice at the end of the day, that says " I'll try again tomorrow."

    Illegitimi non carborundum

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Tuross Head, South Coast, NSW
    Posts
    5,280
    I not one of those who believes that the forecast is never right. I am impressed with their accuracy. I often wonder whether some critics realise that a 40% chance of rain means a 60% chance of no rain.
    The weather app I use can display the predicted temperature and the actual temperature. Most of the time the two graphs are almost identical.
    I wonder if some people assume that a prediction of rain means that the rain will fall in their street rather than just somewhere in the forecast district. I have often seen evidence of rain less than 5km away when we got none.
    I'm convinced a lot of people simply repeat the criticism because it is fashionable, not because it is true.

    1973 Series III LWB 1983 - 2006
    1998 300 Tdi Defender Trayback 2006 - often fitted with a Trayon slide-on camper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!