Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: New Defender review by BMW blog

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Knaresborough North Yorkshire UK
    Posts
    990

    New Defender review by BMW blog

    The new Land Rover Defender is going to eat a lot of BMW X5s

    If I have managed this right should be a link above

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Knaresborough North Yorkshire UK
    Posts
    990
    Text from the link above as these tend to disappear over timeThe new Land Rover Defender is going to eat a lot of BMW X5s


    March 25th, 2020 by Nico DeMattia


    The embargo for reviews of the all-new Land Rover Defender lifted today, which is why the internet is awash with them. Itís also the first truly new Defender since Henry VIII was King. So itís a big deal. Turns out, though, that the new Defender warrants the publicity in its own right as it seems to be damn good. After reading and watching some reviews today, I have a strong feeling that Land Rover is going to eat BMWís, along with the other Germansí, lunch.
    In its segment is the BMW X5, Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class and Audi Q7. All of those cars are around the same price to start, when equipped similarly ó hovering around the $60,000-mark ó so none of them have a substantial price advantage over the other. However, the Land Rover Defender has one distinct advantage over all of them ó itís cooler.


    Say what you want about people that buy rugged SUVs without any intention of actually using them to their ability but the new Defender is icy-cool. Itís a bona-fide off-roading badass and it has the looks to match. Itís butch, square-jawed and tough looking, without being too much. It doesnít look like itís trying too hard yet it still lets the world now that it really can go anywhere and do anything. Itís a fantastic looking SUV and one that will absolutely stand out among the crowd of typical Germans on the road.

    Donít get me wrong, I like the new BMW X5 a lot, as well as the Audi Q7 and Mercedes GLE (I havenít driven the GLE but I do like how it looks). However, the Defender is different. It cuts through the noise of every other premium brand speaking the same SUV language. Not only does it look great but itís a proper off-roader, capable of tackling the most treacherous of terrain known to man. So it isnít a sedan with a tall roof, like the others are. Itís the real deal.


    Yet despite its off-road cred, itís lovely on the inside and has a comfortable air suspension. One of the video reviews I watched today claimed its as-standard air suspension to be capable of making a bumpy gravel road feel no more uncomfortable than smooth tarmac. So itís as luxurious as it is tough.



    Sure, its infotainment system still needs work and its electronics might suffer some reliability issues. But customers arenít going to care much. People are going to buy Defenders up like crazy and I can see German SUV sales suffering because of it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ormeau, Gold Coast,Queensland
    Posts
    10,014
    Sounds like you are looking for a job as a motoring journalist

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Warner Area - SEQ
    Posts
    1,450
    So... can a Aux Tank be installed under it to increase it's distance for remote travels?


    Quote Originally Posted by 3toes View Post
    Text from the link above as these tend to disappear over timeThe new Land Rover Defender is going to eat a lot of BMW X5s


    March 25th, 2020 by Nico DeMattia


    The embargo for reviews of the all-new Land Rover Defender lifted today, which is why the internet is awash with them. Itís also the first truly new Defender since Henry VIII was King. So itís a big deal. Turns out, though, that the new Defender warrants the publicity in its own right as it seems to be damn good. After reading and watching some reviews today, I have a strong feeling that Land Rover is going to eat BMWís, along with the other Germansí, lunch.
    In its segment is the BMW X5, Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class and Audi Q7. All of those cars are around the same price to start, when equipped similarly ó hovering around the $60,000-mark ó so none of them have a substantial price advantage over the other. However, the Land Rover Defender has one distinct advantage over all of them ó itís cooler.


    Say what you want about people that buy rugged SUVs without any intention of actually using them to their ability but the new Defender is icy-cool. Itís a bona-fide off-roading badass and it has the looks to match. Itís butch, square-jawed and tough looking, without being too much. It doesnít look like itís trying too hard yet it still lets the world now that it really can go anywhere and do anything. Itís a fantastic looking SUV and one that will absolutely stand out among the crowd of typical Germans on the road.

    Donít get me wrong, I like the new BMW X5 a lot, as well as the Audi Q7 and Mercedes GLE (I havenít driven the GLE but I do like how it looks). However, the Defender is different. It cuts through the noise of every other premium brand speaking the same SUV language. Not only does it look great but itís a proper off-roader, capable of tackling the most treacherous of terrain known to man. So it isnít a sedan with a tall roof, like the others are. Itís the real deal.


    Yet despite its off-road cred, itís lovely on the inside and has a comfortable air suspension. One of the video reviews I watched today claimed its as-standard air suspension to be capable of making a bumpy gravel road feel no more uncomfortable than smooth tarmac. So itís as luxurious as it is tough.



    Sure, its infotainment system still needs work and its electronics might suffer some reliability issues. But customers arenít going to care much. People are going to buy Defenders up like crazy and I can see German SUV sales suffering because of it.
    Cheers.....
    Rob M


    Car-1: 1996 Discovery Tdi Auto
    Car-2: 1995 Defender Tdi 110 Wgn
    Car-3: 2009 Defender PUMA 110 Wgn
    My TRIPS: Rob's Triplogs and Trip Reports

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Brisbane some of the time
    Posts
    9,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Robmacca View Post
    So... can a Aux Tank be installed under it to increase it's distance for remote travels?
    And towing.

    Lets hope so,thats another issue LR seem to continually ignore,fuel tank size.
    paul

    D4 MY12 white,2.7(with a few more killer wasps) rear air,e diff,xenons,arb bar,7 seat ,18" bfg KO2

    2009 Defender 110 (son's)ARB
    bar,snorkle,rocksliders,rack,KM3's,BAS chip

    '56 S1,been in the family since...'56

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Dandenong Ranges.
    Posts
    6,851
    Quote Originally Posted by scarry View Post
    And towing.
    Isn't 3.5 tonne the max in Aus? Same as the D4, and pretty much all LRs for decades?

    Agree about fuel though.
    ​JayTee

    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. Sir Terry Pratchett

    2000 D2 TD5 Auto: Tins
    1994 D1 300TDi Manual: Dave
    1980 SIII Petrol Tray: Doris

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ocean Reef WA
    Posts
    2,518
    "its electronics might suffer some reliability issues" That is exactly what we don't want to hear but all the comic reading Tojo lovers will enjoy building up into masses of fantasy stories of broken Defenders everywhere.
    Anyway as I'm banned from buying another vehicle by the Cook none of it will bother me.
    AlanH.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Brisbane some of the time
    Posts
    9,054
    Quote Originally Posted by johntins View Post
    Isn't 3.5 tonne the max in Aus? Same as the D4, and pretty much all LRs for decades?

    Agree about fuel though.
    Sorry, my bad,i meant fuel capacity not the greatest for towing either.

    Yes towing capacity is good,as is payload.
    paul

    D4 MY12 white,2.7(with a few more killer wasps) rear air,e diff,xenons,arb bar,7 seat ,18" bfg KO2

    2009 Defender 110 (son's)ARB
    bar,snorkle,rocksliders,rack,KM3's,BAS chip

    '56 S1,been in the family since...'56

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ormeau, Gold Coast,Queensland
    Posts
    10,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Robmacca View Post
    So... can a Aux Tank be installed under it to increase it's distance for remote travels?
    where are you going to drive these days that you cant victual within 4-500km?

    I do a couple of big trips each year and hardly ever carry any extra fuel, just a jerry tied up never gets used.

    I'm talking real remote. Theres really no such thing now.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,260
    If our planned trip to Maralinga via the Anne Beadell goes ahead later this year we have a stretch of over 800km between fuel.

    Cheers,
    Jon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!