Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 397

Thread: The COVID-19 & Corona free thread.

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Brisbane some of the time
    Posts
    9,639
    Some wonderfull stories from fellow AULROions.

    I remember the days,when i was a kid, we had the metal garbage bin,and Dad always left a bottle of beer,or maybe two, out for the garbo on their last pick up before Christmas,every year.It was just the done thing.They were the large bottles in those days,before stubbies appeared.

    Back on topic.
    We always thought something was not 100% right with one of our granddaughters,and recent gene tests,have confirmed she has Phelan-McDermid Syndrome.A very rare condition.For those that are interested,Google is your friend.
    She does not have all the disabilities of the syndrome,but has a few of them,particularly not talking well,way behind for her age group.And no interest in learning anything, such as counting,not much interest in books.
    She is 4 yrs old,so depending how she goes,there is a good chance she will end up at a special school,and never be able to care completely for herself.She is the happiest 4 yr old you will ever come across,and has an amazing humour,which is great.
    So ,as with others on here,all we can do is get her the best professional care for her condition and give her all the love and care we can.

    These issues,as many know, also take a huge toll on the childs parents and family,which is anther problem that has to be overcome.
    So they also need all the support they can get as well.
    paul

    D4 MY12 white,2.7(with a few more killer wasps) rear air,e diff,xenons,arb bar,7 seat ,18" bfg KO2

    Puma Defender 110 (son's)ARB
    bar,snorkle,rocksliders,rack,KM3's,BAS chip

    '56 S1,been in the family since...'56

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Adelaide Hills. South Australia
    Posts
    6,229
    Speaking from personal experience here.


    Both being in the "Vulnerable Age Bracket" we wondered how we would manage after Coles suspended their Home Delivery Service until they apparently were getting themselves into gear to rejig said service under the new changed circumstances.

    Meantime back at the ranch, our French neighbour without a word, left us a note at the back door together early one morning with 2x Bottles of his produced Wine.

    This is the same bloke that we had recently had arguments with over how he was messing up the land without thinking about what he was doing & how it would affect other people downstream.

    The note he left was remarkable in his message about how he offered to shop for us (twice since) & anything we required, to just let him know etc.

    Our other next doors a Motor Mechanic has also offered & we have accepted his offers of assistance when shopping.

    Another bloke who has cut our paddocks for some years also offered his wife to get shopping (???) He is a Postie & his hours are a bit erratic so thought she was better placed to assist. We accepted.

    Our Grandson has already picked up S/M goods for us.


    Bugger me dead, if Coles didn't send an E-mail today saying that we are on their 'Priority List' for the newly reinstated Home Delivery Service. We sent them our Pension No so they could check us out If they wanted to. Fair dos.

    Apparently Normal Service will resume for general customers in the fullness of time.

    Have now sent an order through for a delivery early next week. They say they cannot supply some things just basics ie. No Ice Cream or F&V, Milk Meats of any sort or any other perishables because they will leave it in a safe place where possible & we may not be here when they call.


    Suits us & makes it easier/comfortable/considerate if we need to call on other people without inconveniencing them. In the meantime we are staying isolated with a large garden & a 300m driveway to walk & paddocks if we feel we are going Stir Crazy. Then we have the car to use & don't need to get out of if we wish to travel further out.


    There some lovely stories on that Website & some can bring tears to your eyes or a lump in the throat. Hope it's not the Virus.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brisbane West
    Posts
    21,636
    C'mon Des, you must have some amusing anecdotes to add, lightening the general demeanor of the forum. Applies equally to Pickles, Bob and all you other wize old geezers, to borrow Des's terminology.
    If you don't like trucks, stop buying stuff.
    http://www.aulro.com/afvb/signaturepics/sigpic20865_1.gif

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Adelaide Hills. South Australia
    Posts
    6,229
    Quote Originally Posted by V8Ian View Post
    C'mon Des, you must have some amusing anecdotes to add, lightening the general demeanor of the forum. Applies equally to Pickles, Bob and all you other wize old geezers, to borrow Des's terminology.
    No chance 58i. My venerable colleagues have spoken many words of wisdom that I could not possibly match, even your good self as it happens, guv.


    'sides, not used to Public Speaking.

    Anecdotes means one has had a life sometime/somewhere.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brisbane West
    Posts
    21,636
    Quote Originally Posted by 4bee View Post
    No chance 58i. My venerable colleagues have spoken many words of wisdom that I could not possibly match, even your good self as it happens, guv.


    'sides, not used to Public Speaking.

    Anecdotes means one has had a life sometime/somewhere.
    Cop out!
    C'orn mate, for the benefit of all.
    If you don't like trucks, stop buying stuff.
    http://www.aulro.com/afvb/signaturepics/sigpic20865_1.gif

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Adelaide Hills. South Australia
    Posts
    6,229
    noun. Old geezer is a somewhat insulting term for an older person, especially one who is no longer cool, hip or with the times. An example of an old geezer is a grumpy old man who sits on his porch all day yelling at neighborhood kids. YourDictionary definition and usage example.
    Phrases loik.... "Git orrf my land" spring to mind.





    My very existence here means I am here for the benefit of all.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Central West NSW
    Posts
    24,649
    In perhaps a similar vein to some of the earlier stories. My younger (step)son suffered from brain damage at birth. He went to a special ed school, but was generally a bright, active, and friendly kid, very outgoing, and, in fact is how I met his mother. When he was in secondary school he could barely read and write, and the doctors told his mother that he would be able to earn a living as a gardner (he has never had any interest in gardening!).

    But his first paying job was assembling PCs for a computer shop. After a short period at that, he went back to school, but dropped out again when it became apparent that the VCE would be a disaster. He got into an IT diploma course at RMIT as a handicapped student. Successfully completing this (by now we had found he could type better than write), and then used this as entry to a degree in Library and Information Management at the same institution.

    He successfully completed this, (not, admittedly in the minimum time), and his graduation ceremony was week after his mother's death. He was the first ever, and probably still the only, university graduate to come from his special ed school.

    He has now been in the same (but moved up a couple of levels) library job for almost twenty years, has been married for 21 years, and is a devoted father of four girls. And turns fifty next year. And reads and types fluently, although his writing is still pretty bad, and his spelling is not too hot either.

    I think that has to be rated a success story.
    John

    JDNSW
    1986 110 County 3.9 diesel
    1970 2a 109 2.25 petrol

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Logan
    Posts
    23,425
    Big thanks to the passing local electrician who voluntarily offered to fix a problem we were having with the 12 volt connection to the fridge freezer in our camper so we didn't lose our food, whipped out his soldering iron and did the job in minutes and then refused payment and wished us a safe trip home. Restores your faith in human nature, it does.
    2009 Defender 110 2.4. ARB bulbar, Ironman winch, Safari snorkel, Steinbauer chip, AP HD clutch, Lightforce spots, larger tank, Off Road Systems drawer, Traxide 160 controller, Tekonsha brakes, Mulgo seat runners, Uniden UHF, Nuggetstuff seat corners, breathers, Polaris GPS.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Adelaide Hills. South Australia
    Posts
    6,229
    Quote Originally Posted by JDNSW View Post
    In perhaps a similar vein to some of the earlier stories. My younger (step)son suffered from brain damage at birth. He went to a special ed school, but was generally a bright, active, and friendly kid, very outgoing, and, in fact is how I met his mother. When he was in secondary school he could barely read and write, and the doctors told his mother that he would be able to earn a living as a gardner (he has never had any interest in gardening!).

    But his first paying job was assembling PCs for a computer shop. After a short period at that, he went back to school, but dropped out again when it became apparent that the VCE would be a disaster. He got into an IT diploma course at RMIT as a handicapped student. Successfully completing this (by now we had found he could type better than write), and then used this as entry to a degree in Library and Information Management at the same institution.

    He successfully completed this, (not, admittedly in the minimum time), and his graduation ceremony was week after his mother's death. He was the first ever, and probably still the only, university graduate to come from his special ed school.

    He has now been in the same (but moved up a couple of levels) library job for almost twenty years, has been married for 21 years, and is a devoted father of four girls. And turns fifty next year. And reads and types fluently, although his writing is still pretty bad, and his spelling is not too hot either.

    I think that has to be rated a success story.
    It has to be said John, that is a real success story.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Adelaide Hills. South Australia
    Posts
    6,229
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoMick View Post
    Big thanks to the passing local electrician who voluntarily offered to fix a problem we were having with the 12 volt connection to the fridge freezer in our camper so we didn't lose our food, whipped out his soldering iron and did the job in minutes and then refused payment and wished us a safe trip home. Restores your faith in human nature, it does.
    But it was un-gentlemanly to relieve him of his Soldering iron while his back was turned.

Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!