Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 49 of 49

Thread: Household Solar power installation companies?

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Arapiles View Post
    I've been looking at batteries for over a decade and they're still not cheap. A single Tesla set would cost about what the OP was quoted, and as I understand it that still doesn't get you a set-up that will isolate during a blackout.
    Fully agree. They are getting cheaper but with the systems need to switch and allow off grid 'reliable' supply if grid fails its is neither cheap or easy with out very good planning. I had a goodwe hybrid inverter which was great to 5000w or a little over. Work was at start up over and this crashed. At home a kettle, Microwave and a few other items all at once can go over 5000w.

    Hybrid inverters are the cheapest way to have a grid failure protection. "a hybrid inverter (sometimes referred to as a multi-mode inverter) is an inverter which can simultaneously manage inputs from both solar panels and a battery bank, charging batteries with either solar panels or the electricity grid (depending on which is more economical or preferred). Their capabilities may go beyond this however ¬Ė some devices also handle inputs from wind turbines, generators and other power sources."

    Going to put my old hybrid one at home as soon as a storage option to store my PV is affordable. Not after a gov hand out but assume they will be tossing money at home storage as usual.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,397
    Quote Originally Posted by theelms66 View Post
    You will be lucky to get 11c per kw/h with a new install today.

    Which is why, when our premium tariff runs out in 2024, we will install batteries so that we're focussing on minimising what we draw from the grid ...


    Edit .... rather than what we export.
    Arapiles
    2014 D4 HSE

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Logan
    Posts
    24,568
    Rather than aiming for a $1500 profit, maybe resize to break even.
    They are proposing more panels than the capacity of the inverter, so there is room to downsize.
    LG and Fronius are top quality but there is plenty of mid-range which is cheaper and does a good job.
    Suggest you get a range of quotes.
    You might get 15 c/Kw hour rebate if you shop around.
    Daily chores which use power, such as washing and drying, should be moved to the daytime so the power is free solar.
    Have you investigated federal and state solar grants?

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tecoma Vic
    Posts
    8,488
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoMick View Post
    Rather than aiming for a $1500 profit, maybe resize to break even.
    They are proposing more panels than the capacity of the inverter, so there is room to downsize.
    LG and Fronius are top quality but there is plenty of mid-range which is cheaper and does a good job.
    Suggest you get a range of quotes.
    You might get 15 c/Kw hour rebate if you shop around.
    Daily chores which use power, such as washing and drying, should be moved to the daytime so the power is free solar.
    Have you investigated federal and state solar grants?
    Only saw a mention that vic govt rebate of $1850
    ish if you qualify.


  5. #45
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Woolgoolga
    Posts
    7,333
    Quote Originally Posted by Arapiles View Post
    I've been looking at batteries for over a decade and they're still not cheap. A single Tesla set would cost about what the OP was quoted, and as I understand it that still doesn't get you a set-up that will isolate during a blackout.
    What do you mean by it won't get you a set up that will isolate in a black out??
    Damien
    ------------------------------------------------

  6. #46
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Woolgoolga
    Posts
    7,333
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverlord off road spares View Post
    Only saw a mention that vic govt rebate of $1850
    ish if you qualify.
    Thats about a 3.6kw system with those rebates??
    Damien
    ------------------------------------------------

  7. #47
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,397
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    What do you mean by it won't get you a set up that will isolate in a black out??
    Just checked and the current ones do isolate but my understanding was that the prior version didnít.

    Edit ... without something like an SMA Sunny Island added to the system.
    Arapiles
    2014 D4 HSE

  8. #48
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Woolgoolga
    Posts
    7,333
    Quote Originally Posted by Arapiles View Post
    Just checked and the current ones do isolate but my understanding was that the prior version didnít.

    Edit ... without something like an SMA Sunny Island added to the system.
    I've never done a powerwall1, done a few powerwall 2's, and i must admit, they are pretty impressive, can use any inverter too which is good.
    The first powerwall would work in a blackout, you just needed to use the correct inverter and black out relay. The powerwall 2 can use any old inverter as the tesla gateway controls it all grid or no grid.

    Nice, but costly, unfortunately
    Damien
    ------------------------------------------------

  9. #49
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,397
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    I've never done a powerwall1, done a few powerwall 2's, and i must admit, they are pretty impressive, can use any inverter too which is good.
    The first powerwall would work in a blackout, you just needed to use the correct inverter and black out relay. The powerwall 2 can use any old inverter as the tesla gateway controls it all grid or no grid.

    Nice, but costly, unfortunately
    Yes, and the doubling of capacity for the same price was pretty cool too.

    Have you seen this?

    Tesla Powerwall 2 AC Ė Lithium Ion Battery Test Centre

    Lithium Ion Battery Test Centre Ė Independent battery performance testing by ITP Renewables

    Reports – Lithium Ion Battery Test Centre
    Arapiles
    2014 D4 HSE

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!