Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: 7,000 truckies to go on strike?

  1. #1
    bob10 is offline AULRO Holiday Reward Points Winner!
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    brighton, brisbane
    Posts
    33,293

    7,000 truckies to go on strike?

    The TWU has written to the Fair Work Commission for permission to vote on strike action. Surely not during this covid crisis?



    What happens when 7000 truckies go on strike? We're about to find out (inqld.com.au)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Adelaide Hills
    Posts
    13,307
    Quote Originally Posted by bob10 View Post
    Surely not during this covid crisis?

    )
    best time to hold people to ransom

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brisbane West
    Posts
    24,215
    Toll are trying to move these truck drivers to a shop assistant award, rather than a drivers' award.
    There was a case (in WA??) where a young fellow was hit by a car, whilst taking groceries from the rear of the small truck. The young fellow sustained serious, permanent, life changing injuries.
    In court it was argued that he was on the first rung of a truck driving career. The counter argument was that he was a shop assistant, ergo the payment should be significantly less than what was claimed.
    Toll is a transport company and should be paying transport rates, not boosting their shareholders' returns by underpaying low paid workers.
    Wages and conditions are being eroded constantly. I know a nation wide company that is casualising its workforce. They are paying overtime rates after 38˝ hrs, so employees are being worked 12+ hrs a shift, but only allowed three shifts in a pay period.
    If you don't like trucks, stop buying stuff.
    http://www.aulro.com/afvb/signaturepics/sigpic20865_1.gif

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Northern Territory
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by V8Ian View Post
    Toll are trying to move these truck drivers to a shop assistant award, rather than a drivers' award.
    There was a case (in WA??) where a young fellow was hit by a car, whilst taking groceries from the rear of the small truck. The young fellow sustained serious, permanent, life changing injuries.
    In court it was argued that he was on the first rung of a truck driving career. The counter argument was that he was a shop assistant, ergo the payment should be significantly less than what was claimed.
    Toll is a transport company and should be paying transport rates, not boosting their shareholders' returns by underpaying low paid workers.
    Wages and conditions are being eroded constantly. I know a nation wide company that is casualising its workforce. They are paying overtime rates after 38˝ hrs, so employees are being worked 12+ hrs a shift, but only allowed three shifts in a pay period.
    C'mon Ian ,
    Where else is the new boss of Toll going to get the $$ to buy some more Cartier watches.😀😀
    Bulletman

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Adelaide Hills
    Posts
    13,307
    Quote Originally Posted by V8Ian View Post
    not boosting their shareholders' returns
    you know they have a legal obligation to do so right?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Doomadgee FNWQ
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by Eevo View Post
    you know they have a legal obligation to do so right?
    At what cost?
    Three is also a legal duty of care.
    Jonesfam
    D2a with a whole lot of stuff that came with/on it.
    Including the 3 Amigos!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Adelaide Hills
    Posts
    13,307
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesfam View Post
    At what cost?
    Three is also a legal duty of care.
    Jonesfam
    at the cost of the CEO's bonus. and the CEO will look after his bonus more than the duty of care of people at the bottom. i dont understand why people are shocked over this. its how the system works.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Brisbane,some of the time.
    Posts
    11,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletman View Post
    C'mon Ian ,
    Where else is the new boss of Toll going to get the $$ to buy some more Cartier watches.😀😀
    Bulletman
    We do a heap of work for a reasonably large trucking company,they have around 350 on the road,many B doubles.

    The Boss,Barry,has a different vehicle for each day.Its a joke with the boys,i wonder what vehicle will be in his car park today?

    Not long ago he bought a FFRR,it was so good he ordered one for his wife.

    He also has a couple of very nice Holden GTS's,in his collection.
    He told me how much they use in fuel a year,but the amount has dissapeared from my grey matter,but he did say every week or so he puts well over $1Mill into the fuel account.
    Paul

    D2,D2,D2a,D4,'09 Defender 110(sons), all moved on.

    '56 S1,been in the family since...'56
    Comes out of hibernation every few months for a run

  9. #9
    Homestar's Avatar
    Homestar is offline Super Moderator & CA manager Gold Subscriber
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sunbury, VIC
    Posts
    18,982
    You only have to look at this page fir it to tell you all you need to know about Toll - Michael Byrne to step down - Thomas Knudsen appointed as Managing Director of Toll Group | Toll Group

    There’s a bit on the previous GM - Michael ‘Monty’ Burns. He didn’t earn that nickname for being a nice bloke I can tell you. Although he’s moved on he was very much the person behind the current culture at Toll.

    Won’t say any more about that though lest I land myself in trouble.


    1977 101 FC - 'Chucky'
    1986 Classic RR - 'Thing'
    1977 Jaguar XJ6

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Koojan WA (part time Perth)
    Posts
    713
    I’m sure if the TWU calls a strike, there are plenty of subbies (usually from the sub continent (from what I’ve seen)) who are more than willing to take over from the regular “hard working” steering wheel attendants and at a discounted rate no doubt

    And with the COVID crisis we’ve all been living under for the past year and a bit, everybody should be well stocked with toilet paper and the likes, so if there’s a few days between strike action and the Toll executives getting in touch with the subbies we will all have a clean back end7,000 truckies to go on strike?7,000 truckies to go on strike?
    1985 110 Dual Cab 4.6 R380 ARB Lockers (currently NIS due to roof kissing road)
    1985 110 Station Wagon 3.5 LT85 (unmolested blank canvas)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!