Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Which Discovery 4 / LR4 - 3.0 TDV6 or 5.0 V8?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3

    Which Discovery 4 / LR4 - 3.0 TDV6 or 5.0 V8?

    Hello all, I am based in Germany and I am looking to buy a Discovery 4 / LR4.

    I have done a bit of research and I am still not sure whether to go for a locally sourced 3.0 Turbo Diesel or import a 5.0 Normally Aspirated Petrol from the UAE. Including transport and import of a 5.0 from the UAE, the cost of both alternatives should be very similar.

    Here my Pros / Cons list

    5.0 Petrol
    Pros
    Currently no foreseeable restrictions entering German cities
    Less vulnerable to variable fuel quality
    More relaxed cruising on the German Autobahn

    Cons
    Appalling fuel economy
    Less torque
    No heated seats

    3.0 Diesel
    Pros
    Better fuel economy
    More torque

    Cons
    Potential ban from entering cities here in Germany
    Fuel quality and possible problems with DPF and ECU
    Availability of Diesel fuel for private vehicles in some East European / Asian countries


    As you can see, I currently have found more pros for the Petrol than the diesel, but the 2 Pros that I have for the diesel are very important points and more immediate as I am not sure when and how often we will be travelling more further a field!

    A point on which I am unsure at the moment is reliability:
    I have read quite a bit about engine and crankshaft failures with the 3.0 Diesel.
    How wide spread are the problems, how seriously should I take this point?
    How reliable are the supposed improved post 2012 diesel engines, and from which VIN?

    I have not found much information on the reliability of the 5.0 normally aspirated petrol engine, I take that this is due to one of two reasons:
    1) There are no known major problems Ė people are more likely to write their opinions if they have something to complain about!
    2) Fewer vehicles on the road with this engine, and those on the road generally have lower mileage / are not used as hard as the diesel engine versions.
    What are the known weak points of this engine?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland
    Posts
    4,531

    Which Discovery 4 / LR4 - 3.0 TDV6 or 5.0 V8?

    From what Iíve read diesel cars are getting more and more regulated in the EU & UK, and will be excluded from more and more cities.

    The 3.0 tdv6 failure seems to be rare, but I have read about such a failure even on a late facelift D4 before it was due for its 1st or 2nd service (canít recall which one). A failure seems to be completely unpredictable. Failures have also occurred on the tdv6s fitted to the L405s.

    The 5.0 V8 na seems to be a very reliable motor, which was also fitted to the L322.
    L322 tdv8 poverty pack - wow
    Perentie 110 wagon ARN 49-107 (probably selling) turbo, p/steer, RFSV front axle/trutrack, HF, gullwing windows, double jerrys etc.
    Perentie 110 wagon ARN 48-699 another project
    Track Trailer ARN 200-117
    REMLR # 137

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Hornsby
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by A RO 95 View Post
    Hello all, I am based in Germany and I am looking to buy a Discovery 4 / LR4.

    I have done a bit of research and I am still not sure whether to go for a locally sourced 3.0 Turbo Diesel or import a 5.0 Normally Aspirated Petrol from the UAE. Including transport and import of a 5.0 from the UAE, the cost of both alternatives should be very similar.

    Here my Pros / Cons list

    5.0 Petrol
    Pros
    Currently no foreseeable restrictions entering German cities
    Less vulnerable to variable fuel quality
    More relaxed cruising on the German Autobahn

    Cons
    Appalling fuel economy
    Less torque
    No heated seats

    3.0 Diesel
    Pros
    Better fuel economy
    More torque

    Cons
    Potential ban from entering cities here in Germany
    Fuel quality and possible problems with DPF and ECU
    Availability of Diesel fuel for private vehicles in some East European / Asian countries


    As you can see, I currently have found more pros for the Petrol than the diesel, but the 2 Pros that I have for the diesel are very important points and more immediate as I am not sure when and how often we will be travelling more further a field!

    A point on which I am unsure at the moment is reliability:
    I have read quite a bit about engine and crankshaft failures with the 3.0 Diesel.
    How wide spread are the problems, how seriously should I take this point?
    How reliable are the supposed improved post 2012 diesel engines, and from which VIN?

    I have not found much information on the reliability of the 5.0 normally aspirated petrol engine, I take that this is due to one of two reasons:
    1) There are no known major problems Ė people are more likely to write their opinions if they have something to complain about!
    2) Fewer vehicles on the road with this engine, and those on the road generally have lower mileage / are not used as hard as the diesel engine versions.
    What are the known weak points of this engine?
    If it was for me Iíd get the V8 but Iím biased I bought a D3 V8 last year and love it. Biggest problem is fuel economy, which would be a concern in outback Australia. Iím fitting a long range fuel tank to at least minimise the problem. Objectively for me I was buying a car thatís over 10 years old and thought a simpler engine setup would provide less risk. No DPF, EGR or twin turbos. Having said that Iíve had 2 issues I didnít anticipate, a bad injector and rusted radiator connector that needed a full replacement.

    Cheers,
    Randy
    - randy

    2003 Disco 2 TD5 (Now the wife's car)
    2005 Disco 3 V8 HSE

  4. #4
    Eevo's Avatar
    Eevo is offline OldBushie Gold Subscriber
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Adelaide Hills
    Posts
    9,328
    in a small country like germany, fuel economy is a non existent issue. haha

    petrol engines also easier to fix
    Quote Originally Posted by DazzaTD5 View Post
    Its a land Rover Defender... you need a real mechanic

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kingston, Tassie, OZ.
    Posts
    13,073
    Definitely pick the v8 5.0.
    In fact, for a petrol engined big vehicle they are very economical. Remove the potential dpf, egr and turbo costs from the equation and you may very well be ahead in total outlay after some years
    The Isuzu 110. Solid and as dependable as a rock, coming soon with auto box😊
    The Range Rover L322 4.4.TTDV8 ....soon with 840Nm😈 i can then alter the earths rotation...😅... now back on the road😍

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Central Coast NSW
    Posts
    1,531
    Quote Originally Posted by justinc View Post
    Definitely pick the v8 5.0.
    In fact, for a petrol engined big vehicle they are very economical. Remove the potential dpf, egr and turbo costs from the equation and you may very well be ahead in total outlay after some years
    Plus you have that SOUND! That's a big pro for the V8
    '08 D3 4.0 V6 :) - 265/65/R17 on X5 rims.
    '72 88" S3 - 2.286 petrol - yet to go on it's first adventure
    GONE '96 D1 300Tdi - 2" lift, 32" tyres, HD rear axles, lockers :(

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kingston, Tassie, OZ.
    Posts
    13,073
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco-tastic View Post
    Plus you have that SOUND! That's a big pro for the V8
    .... my 4.4 diesel makes ALL the right sounds though 😁
    The Isuzu 110. Solid and as dependable as a rock, coming soon with auto box😊
    The Range Rover L322 4.4.TTDV8 ....soon with 840Nm😈 i can then alter the earths rotation...😅... now back on the road😍

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kingston, Tassie, OZ.
    Posts
    13,073
    Mmmmm🤗😍

    YouTube
    The Isuzu 110. Solid and as dependable as a rock, coming soon with auto box😊
    The Range Rover L322 4.4.TTDV8 ....soon with 840Nm😈 i can then alter the earths rotation...😅... now back on the road😍

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    NSW South West Slopes
    Posts
    8,854
    According to the L322 MY11 brochure, the na 5.0 gets to 100 kph in 7.2 secs compared to the 4.4 in 7.8 secs. The 4.4's higher ratio diffs probably don't help get it off the line quickly.
    MY12 RRV 4.4 TDV8 AB, +LLAMS, +e-diff, +ACC stop/go. Produce LLAMS for LR/RR, Jeep GC/Dodge Ram
    VK2HFG and APRS 2m rx igate

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,068
    I have read of a few problems wth the V8. Water pumps are known to fail. Early ones had aluminium in the cam chain tensioner guide where the hydraulic tensioner pushed and could wear giving noisy cam chains and because they are DI they can get carbon build up on the back of the inlet valves.
    Saying that my 2010 gave no problems in 210K except for the throttle body needing cleaning to clear a persistent MAP error.
    They are very quiet and well muffled, I wish my RRS SCV8 was as quiet.
    Fuji white RRS L494 AB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!