Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 41

Thread: Front windscreen sun shade to suit D3/4

  1. #31
    LRD414's Avatar
    LRD414 is offline Super Moderator Silver Subscriber
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    3,292
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseyman View Post
    hi Scott
    That looks a really good mod. Iím wondering what the vertical strap is in the top left of the pic.
    Cheers
    David
    You have one too David, it's the roof gutter

    Scott

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Lilydale, Victoria
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by LRD414 View Post
    You have one too David, it's the roof gutter

    Scott
    ooops, it looked like a strap over it

    David

  3. #33
    Tankmat's Avatar
    Tankmat is offline Fossicker Silver Subscriber
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseyman View Post
    hi Scott
    That looks a really good mod. Iím wondering what the vertical strap is in the top left of the pic.
    Cheers
    David
    You mean the black plastic roof trim that sits in the groove where an optional rail for a roof rack would be mounted
    D4 SDV6 MY16 HSE Corris Grey with Rhino Backbone Pioneer Tray, Traxide TBS, APT full Armadillo, Llams, Travall Barrier, 19" Cooper Zeon LTZ, Tow Pro Elite, UHF GME XRS-370C

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by W&KO View Post
    Thanks for the direct email....I emailed Luke and havenít received a reply. I dropped into Brendale to discuss a custom version but that didnít really work out. Hopefully Kaito can take on my challenge.
    No luck dealing direct....they keep pointing me to their website saying everything I want is there, sadly itís not.

    Will track down a local canvas guys to make what I want.

  5. #35
    Tankmat's Avatar
    Tankmat is offline Fossicker Silver Subscriber
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by LRD414 View Post
    Picked up mine from Drifta yesterday. Very happy with the additional canvas cover.



    Cheers,
    Scott
    Got my custom D4 Drifta windscreen cover with bottom extension today. Looks well made and insulation should reduce cabin temperature considerably. The custom cover appears to be the Drifta standard cover (which stops above the windscreen wipers) and has a bottom extension that folds over the wipers and the cowl. The coverage is very good but my only issues is that the extension, on each side, isnít quite wide enough and misses 20 mm (x2 = 40mm) at the top and 50 (x2 = 100mm) at the bottom, see pictures. If anyone is thinking about getting one made I would request this extra width for full coverage.
    On another note, I think the D3/D4 standard cover which stops above the wipers has relatively poor coverage and really should have been designed to go under the wipers and sit on the top part of the cowl. Wouldnít be a bad idea to have this also on the custom cover. Then have the extension on top to cover the wipers and cowl completely.
    D4 SDV6 MY16 HSE Corris Grey with Rhino Backbone Pioneer Tray, Traxide TBS, APT full Armadillo, Llams, Travall Barrier, 19" Cooper Zeon LTZ, Tow Pro Elite, UHF GME XRS-370C

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Fremantle WA
    Posts
    2,456
    Quote Originally Posted by Tankmat View Post
    Got my custom D4 Drifta windscreen cover with bottom extension today. Looks well made and insulation should reduce cabin temperature considerably. The custom cover appears to be the Drifta standard cover (which stops above the windscreen wipers) and has a bottom extension that folds over the wipers and the cowl. The coverage is very good but my only issues is that the extension, on each side, isnít quite wide enough and misses 20 mm (x2 = 40mm) at the top and 50 (x2 = 100mm) at the bottom, see pictures. If anyone is thinking about getting one made I would request this extra width for full coverage.
    On another note, I think the D3/D4 standard cover which stops above the wipers has relatively poor coverage and really should have been designed to go under the wipers and sit on the top part of the cowl. Wouldnít be a bad idea to have this also on the custom cover. Then have the extension on top to cover the wipers and cowl completely.

    All good points. Why not also
    (i) extend the sides to better protect the plastic A pillar trims, and
    (ii) if wanting to use the wipers to hold down the blind, still have the longer into under-bonnet extension for sun protection and have mini flaps (and velcro) to accommodate the wiper shafts?
    Dan 11/11 MY04 D2a TD5 auto Classic (2nd engine @ 153K) set up for touring - reluctantly up for sale
    Bessie 08/13 MY95 RRC LSE Vogue SoftDash with MY99 TD5 and 4HP24 transplant - in the LR garage since 04/18
    Towtug 04/19 D4 MY10 2.7 with LLAMS, long range tank and other goodies - new for pulling the brick

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    600

    Cool

    Would this do the job?
    s-l300.jpg
    2006 Disco 3, 4L V6 Petrol SE
    No 5 Trailer ARN 177-295
    SOLD Engineers Trailer - no id
    SOLD RAAF 231194 Perentie 110 GS - SIR ANGUS

  8. #38
    Tankmat's Avatar
    Tankmat is offline Fossicker Silver Subscriber
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    20

    Front windscreen sun shade to suit D3/4

    Quote Originally Posted by gavinwibrow View Post
    All good points. Why not also
    (i) extend the sides to better protect the plastic A pillar trims, and

    (ii) if wanting to use the wipers to hold down the blind, still have the longer into under-bonnet extension for sun protection and have mini flaps (and velcro) to accommodate the wiper shafts?
    (i) Could be done but there is quite a rise going onto the A pillar and the cover might not sit as flush against the windscreen. Might flap around a bit.

    (ii) The door tabs keep the cover in place nicely probably donít need the wiper blades to hold it. The Drifter standard cover is made of insulation and covered in canvas while the custom extension is just canvas. For better insulation of the cabin just thought it would be good to have the installation section cover the full window. The design is excellent goes in place in a minute.
    D4 SDV6 MY16 HSE Corris Grey with Rhino Backbone Pioneer Tray, Traxide TBS, APT full Armadillo, Llams, Travall Barrier, 19" Cooper Zeon LTZ, Tow Pro Elite, UHF GME XRS-370C

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Belair, South Australia
    Posts
    9
    Tried out my sunshade with the extension yesterday. Brilliant! Would imagine it would also give good protection from hail should the need arise. I can see its worth in the ski resort car parks to quickly clear the screen and wipers of snow build up on departure.
    Trevor.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kilmore, VIC
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Jeepster View Post
    Would this do the job?
    s-l300.jpg
    Nearly... part of the tyres are still uncovered... Front windscreen sun shade to suit D3/4
    DiscoClax
    '94 D1 3dr Aegean Blue - 300ci stroker RV8, 4HP24 & Compushift, usual bar-work, various APT gear, 235/85 M/Ts, 3deg arms, Detroit lockers, $$$$, etc.
    '08 RRS TDV8 Rimini Red - Compomotives, 285/60 BFGs, Rock sliders, APT full under-protection, Mitch Hitch, Tradesman alloy rack, LLAMS, VCIQ

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!