Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 44

Thread: When is the EPB applied?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ocean Reef WA
    Posts
    2,438
    Mine is a June 2016 (bought new November) and as far as I know it doesn't apply automatically. I never use the drive through crap and always apply it then select neutral, foot off brake to allow it to rest on the brake and then into park.
    But it still crapped itself recently but being under warranty it was fixed by the stealer with no hassles. New drums, pads and electronic bits as far as I know.
    Just another bit of "technology" I personally could do with out.
    AlanH.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,668
    Quote Originally Posted by ATH View Post
    Mine is a June 2016 (bought new November) and as far as I know it doesn't apply automatically. I never use the drive through crap and always apply it then select neutral, foot off brake to allow it to rest on the brake and then into park.
    But it still crapped itself recently but being under warranty it was fixed by the stealer with no hassles. New drums, pads and electronic bits as far as I know.
    Just another bit of "technology" I personally could do with out.
    AlanH.
    For the life of me I don’t know we bothered to progress beyond the horse? Where would you like to limit your technology to? No progress beyond 1920? 40?

    To suggest that this technology is bad and we shouldn’t have bothered would see no progress ever. To suggest we should improve this but not that defies progress. We learn from all progress and pivot based on knowledge and experience. The discovery electronic handbrake woes will lead to a perfected system one day. If you suggest they shouldn’t have done that then we can run through every single service in the car and argue they should have left it alone. We could then all drive ‘79 series Toyota’s.
    2010 TDV6 3.0L Discovery 4 HSE
    2007 Audi RS4 (B7)

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    83
    I demand my old falcon back. The old girls handbrake worked perfectly and the head gasket blew every 90k on the clock.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,668
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus1 View Post
    I demand my old falcon back. The old girls handbrake worked perfectly and the head gasket blew every 90k on the clock.
    I do miss a good old handbrake turn When is the EPB applied?
    2010 TDV6 3.0L Discovery 4 HSE
    2007 Audi RS4 (B7)

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    3,384
    I have not read one example of a failed EPB that had actually been maintained properly, ie regularly cleaned and adjusted as per the service manual. I know of a few switch failures but EPB unit or brake failures are dominated by a simple lack of attention. Mine has never had an issue in close on 5 years so far.

    Scott
    D4 TDV6 MY14 with Llams, 18" Wheels & BFG KO2s, Traxide DBS, Drifta Drawers, Rhino Platform, APT Sliders & compressor plate & Mitch Hitch
    Link to my D4 Build Thread

    Ex '77 RRC 2 door. Long gone but not forgotten.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,668
    Quote Originally Posted by LRD414 View Post
    I have not read one example of a failed EPB that had actually been maintained properly, ie regularly cleaned and adjusted as per the service manual. I know of a few switch failures but EPB unit or brake failures are dominated by a simple lack of attention. Mine has never had an issue in close on 5 years so far.

    Scott
    Absolutely. Same here. I maintain it annually, never an issue. For those who use stealers and have this issue, they should be questioning their choice of service agent
    2010 TDV6 3.0L Discovery 4 HSE
    2007 Audi RS4 (B7)

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Baldivis WA
    Posts
    617
    Quote Originally Posted by LRD414 View Post
    I have not read one example of a failed EPB that had actually been maintained properly, ie regularly cleaned and adjusted as per the service manual. I know of a few switch failures but EPB unit or brake failures are dominated by a simple lack of attention. Mine has never had an issue in close on 5 years so far.

    Scott
    +1

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ocean Reef WA
    Posts
    2,438
    The EPB itself is not what I don't like, it's the silly drive through function. Are drivers to lazy to raise/lower a switch these days? I really don't see it improving mankind at all or driver ability.
    As to the servicing, the stealer has never suggested it hadn't been adjusted, just that the module failed. Cars only done 56K and the drive through never used so should be very little wear I would have thought.
    I'll stay a Luddite where that sort of "technological advance" is concerned thanks.
    AlanH.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    621
    Quote Originally Posted by LRD414 View Post
    I have not read one example of a failed EPB that had actually been maintained properly, ie regularly cleaned and adjusted as per the service manual. I know of a few switch failures but EPB unit or brake failures are dominated by a simple lack of attention. Mine has never had an issue in close on 5 years so far.

    Scott
    My Indie in Adelaide checks it every service, but there is obviously a range of opinions on its use/usefulness!!!!
    Great discussion.
    2006 Disco 3, 4L V6 Petrol SE
    No 5 Trailer ARN 177-295
    SOLD Engineers Trailer - no id
    SOLD RAAF 231194 Perentie 110 GS - SIR ANGUS

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    3,181
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoJeffster View Post
    For the life of me I don’t know we bothered to progress beyond the horse? Where would you like to limit your technology to? No progress beyond 1920? 40?

    To suggest that this technology is bad and we shouldn’t have bothered would see no progress ever. To suggest we should improve this but not that defies progress. We learn from all progress and pivot based on knowledge and experience. The discovery electronic handbrake woes will lead to a perfected system one day. If you suggest they shouldn’t have done that then we can run through every single service in the car and argue they should have left it alone. We could then all drive ‘79 series Toyota’s.
    Your point is lost on me. Yes, the new technology is all great and such but it’s reliability levels are much reduced while costs and maintenance much increased. The old lever action hand brakes worked well, my D2a is at nearly 300,000km without fault on it in that time. Compared to our D4 which has **** the EPB switch at 150k km and had regular maintenance (at Land Rover Melbourne dealer it’s whole life) and adjustment on the setup. It’s not that the new technology is bad in itself, the implementation of it which results in later issues and headaches is the complaint. Maybe it’s poor manufacturing, rushed designs, what ever but it’s clearly an identifiable issue which is what ATH was referring to. In this particular case I completely agree with them and cannot see what added benefit the EPB has provided that make it worth the additional costs and hassles.

    Another example is the door locks - all four side doors actuator mechanisms have now been replaced in our MY12 D4 at 150k km (this is common for D3, D4 and the other various LR using the same part). Again our D2a at nearly 300,000km hasn’t had a single unit failed yet. Both systems work wirelessly to unlock the doors at the press of the button but the D4 has a much more expensive and complex setup which fails prematurely - yet I cannot see what improvement it has over the older setup in use?

    Now before some smartie comes back with ‘why don’t you get rid of the D4 and get another D2 then if they’re so much better’, this is clearly not my point. The D4 is superior in many ways and has some huge improvements, but the EPB system is not one of them. A hand brake system that requires striping down and cleaning after 50kms of mud driving doesn’t have a place on a 4WD. LR made some great improvements, but they also broke some things that were working...
    Mine - modified MY03 LT L318 Discovery 2a HSE Td5 15P
    Hers - MY12 L319 Discovery 4 2.7L TDV6
    Dads - MY98 LJ Discovery ES 3.9L V8

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!