Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Underbody protection?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8

    Underbody protection?

    Does anybody have any experience/observations with aftermarket under body protection plates? I see that here in Brisbane APT Off Road make guards for the RR Sport engine, transmission, air compressor and air tank. My 'off road' driving is mainly limited to outback dirt roads and tracks, and occasional rocky creek crossings-I'm after reliable remote touring, and access to camp sites, rather than 'serious' off-roading. Any advice on what might be considered necessary (or not) over the standard engine guard would be appreciated! Cheers,
    Nigel

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    St Agnes, SA
    Posts
    473
    Nigel,

    I have the full array under our D4. It is the APT stuff and it looks good and is very solid. I would suggest to you that for what you want to do is leave the factory protection under there and maybe just get some rocksliders for added door protection.

    The engine pan is steel as standard and would be good for the work you do. The only one that is ify is the trans pan as it is plastic. But you would need to be doing something serious to damage that.

    My two cents.

    Cheers
    '15 Discovery 4 HSE- New family bus and the kids like it!
    '89 RRC- Daily driver/workhorse/General hand, my favorite of the bunch!
    '03 Commodore 'S' ute- 450hp of uncracked 5.7lt and 6 speed manual uteness
    Ex '06 GLXR Triton- *Gone and forgotten*

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    16,308
    I have no additional protection on my RRS. I go offroad a bit and now where, where additional plates has any damage - I do have damage in other areas - the drivers side where the front mount is for the lower control arm is bashed in - noted when I last did a wheel alignment but is not impactinf alignment, the fuel tank has scraps only - but the other major impact zone is the rear exhaust pipes either side of the rear diff where they go under the driveshafts - these are very exposed. Air compressor cover is ok and only damage is where I put a jack under it.

    As suggested I would not bother with the under engine plate as it is good enough for normal use - the gearbox cover is lightweight and would not protect much but does seem to miss damage.

    I would look at rock sliders and protection for the rear exhaust pipes before other protection.

    Garry
    REMLR 243

    2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
    1977 FC 101
    1973 Haflinger AP700
    1971 Jaguar V12 E-Type Series 3 Roadster
    1957 Series 1 88"
    1957 Series 1 88" Station Wagon

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Konradical View Post
    Nigel,

    I have the full array under our D4. It is the APT stuff and it looks good and is very solid. I would suggest to you that for what you want to do is leave the factory protection under there and maybe just get some rocksliders for added door protection.

    The engine pan is steel as standard and would be good for the work you do. The only one that is ify is the trans pan as it is plastic. But you would need to be doing something serious to damage that.

    My two cents.

    Cheers
    Thanks for that-I have the transmission steel pan conversion anyway, so sounds like things are ok for my usage! Cheers.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by 101RRS View Post
    I have no additional protection on my RRS. I go offroad a bit and now where, where additional plates has any damage - I do have damage in other areas - the drivers side where the front mount is for the lower control arm is bashed in - noted when I last did a wheel alignment but is not impactinf alignment, the fuel tank has scraps only - but the other major impact zone is the rear exhaust pipes either side of the rear diff where they go under the driveshafts - these are very exposed. Air compressor cover is ok and only damage is where I put a jack under it.

    As suggested I would not bother with the under engine plate as it is good enough for normal use - the gearbox cover is lightweight and would not protect much but does seem to miss damage.

    I would look at rock sliders and protection for the rear exhaust pipes before other protection.

    Garry
    Thanks for your feedback Garry-yep I've noticed those rear exhaust sections!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    St Agnes, SA
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Bailey View Post
    Thanks for that-I have the transmission steel pan conversion anyway, so sounds like things are ok for my usage! Cheers.
    Hi Nigel, I think you may be a little mixed up. I wasn't talking about the trans filter pan, I was talking about the protective pan for the trans.

    Good to know you are satisfied with what you have.
    '15 Discovery 4 HSE- New family bus and the kids like it!
    '89 RRC- Daily driver/workhorse/General hand, my favorite of the bunch!
    '03 Commodore 'S' ute- 450hp of uncracked 5.7lt and 6 speed manual uteness
    Ex '06 GLXR Triton- *Gone and forgotten*

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!