Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Engine gearbox flush.

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by rick130 View Post
    Yep, I really don't like flush additives and some gets left behind.

    I've had the habit of dumping 0.5-1 litre of fresh oil through before putting the drain plug back in in the engines I service for near thirty years now, it helps dilute a bit if not most of the residual oil.

    The detergent/dispersant package in modern diesel oils and especially in post CI4+ and especially ACEA E4, E6, E9 oils is impressive.
    They need to be to combat the soot from EGR systems.
    And the ACEA specs are more robust than the equivalent API CI ones, FWIW.
    Thanks Rick
    Makes a lot of sense
    Phil B

    Custodian of:
    1974 S3 swb wagon (sold)
    1978 S3 swb canvas
    48 749 '88 4x4 Perentie
    1985 County with 4BD1T

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    140
    Rick, in relation to the EGR. Would the EGR "delete" that is recommended by some be helpful in keeping the oil cleaner, therefore helping prolong engine life, also preserving turbos.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland
    Posts
    5,245
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeman View Post
    Rick, in relation to the EGR. Would the EGR "delete" that is recommended by some be helpful in keeping the oil cleaner, therefore helping prolong engine life, also preserving turbos.
    No noticeable difference in oil clarity in my experience with the tdv8, between before and after emulators. Oil became dirty pretty much immediately after an oil change even with emulators.
    L322 tdv8 poverty pack - wow
    Perentie 110 wagon ARN 49-107 (probably selling) turbo, p/steer, RFSV front axle/trutrack, HF, gullwing windows, double jerrys etc.
    Perentie 110 wagon ARN 48-699 another project
    Track Trailer ARN 200-117
    REMLR # 137

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    NSW far north coast
    Posts
    14,850
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeman View Post
    Rick, in relation to the EGR. Would the EGR "delete" that is recommended by some be helpful in keeping the oil cleaner, therefore helping prolong engine life, also preserving turbos.
    It reduces soot loading, but oil change intervals are determined with this in mind.

    One of my oil mentors major condemnation observation was soot loading in the trucks under his care. He used 2.5-3% which is ridiculously high.
    At the time (over 15 years ago) his fleet average oil change interval was 96,000km.

    Detroit Diesel pulled one of his DD60 Series engines down at 1,000,000km as a demonstration and all measurements were within factory specs with minimal sludge evident, so it went back together and back into service.

    In other words don't sweat it.
    Air filtration is far more important for engine life than oil filtration or shortened change intervals.
    You can be changing the oil at 5,000km but if you are getting any unfiltered air past the air filter seal or through it in the case of oiled cotton gauze, you are shortening engine life.
    TD5's were notorious for this, quite a few brands didn't seal in the air box properly, and anyone that's been around dozers and graders have stories of engines being dusted in a few hours when an air cleaner is compromised.
    Just don't be tempted to change it too often, that's nearly as bad, an air cleaners efficiency increases as it loads.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Toowoomba QLD
    Posts
    1,126
    Quote Originally Posted by rick130 View Post
    It reduces soot loading, but oil change intervals are determined with this in mind.

    One of my oil mentors major condemnation observation was soot loading in the trucks under his care. He used 2.5-3% which is ridiculously high.
    At the time (over 15 years ago) his fleet average oil change interval was 96,000km.

    Detroit Diesel pulled one of his DD60 Series engines down at 1,000,000km as a demonstration and all measurements were within factory specs with minimal sludge evident, so it went back together and back into service.

    In other words don't sweat it.
    Air filtration is far more important for engine life than oil filtration or shortened change intervals.
    You can be changing the oil at 5,000km but if you are getting any unfiltered air past the air filter seal or through it in the case of oiled cotton gauze, you are shortening engine life.
    TD5's were notorious for this, quite a few brands didn't seal in the air box properly, and anyone that's been around dozers and graders have stories of engines being dusted in a few hours when an air cleaner is compromised.
    Just don't be tempted to change it too often, that's nearly as bad, an air cleaners efficiency increases as it loads.
    Rick

    Knowing that you have/had one, what are are your thoughts on oil change intervals for the TD42? Given its indirect injection, should I be doing changes at 5000 km, or is this overkill with modern oils (using Dello 400).

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    NSW far north coast
    Posts
    14,850
    Quote Originally Posted by mark2 View Post
    Rick

    Knowing that you have/had one, what are are your thoughts on oil change intervals for the TD42? Given its indirect injection, should I be doing changes at 5000 km, or is this overkill with modern oils (using Dello 400).
    5,000km is total overkill using Delo, it'd do 10,000km pretty easily if its mostly long run highway miles.
    The TD42T has a big sump and is easy on the oil, surprisingly easier on oil than the 300Tdi.

    Back in the 500ppm sulphur fuel days I was able to easily go 20,000km using a premium full syn 5W-40 oil and the old girl was towing horses.
    All proved through used oil analysis.
    That engine had the combination bypass filter as the secondary filter, too. Some use two full flows
    Prior to that I was changing the oil every two to three weeks using Fuchs 15w-40, that's how quickly the 5,000km was coming around.
    I'd have to pull the old oil tests but IIRC Delvac 1 was running the same wear metal numbers at 15-20,000km as the Fuchs at 5,000 and soot loading was fine.
    I only changed it at 20k as we were in front financially at that point, the oil still had plenty of life in it.
    When I last heard that engine had close to 500,000km and was running sweetly, it just had a little oil going down the stem seals first thing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!