Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Roof racks and Rock sliders for the D5

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    4

    Roof racks and Rock sliders for the D5

    Hi All,
    Finally jumped back into LR after a 4 yr hiatus. It was a good time to offload the Prado and I found a decent deal on a 2018 TD6 SE. Only problem is it's bare bones - no running boards and no roof rails. Has anyone come across a roof rack system that doesn't require you to have the roof rails already installed? The roof rails add an instant $1600.

    Also found these DISCOVERY 5 ARMOR – Lucky8 Off Road, just trying to work out if anyone has imported to Aus yet or if there is an Aus supplier.

    Cheers.

    LJ.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,505
    I was going to suggest Ben @ APT as he has or had a D5 but it looks like he has scaled back his operation. Pretty sure he was developing a roof rack and other bits st the 75th

    Browse catalogue

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Whyalla, SA
    Posts
    6,026
    It’s interesting they have those sliders.

    Ben at APT was developing a set and in conversation was telling me he wasn’t happy with the flex in the sill offroad.

    Apparently the body moves enough that the sliders pull against the mounts and he wasn’t happy that ongoing damage wouldn’t occur.
    Cheers
    Tombie

    AULRO Holiday Reward Points Winner!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by LJWA View Post
    Hi All,

    Also found these DISCOVERY 5 ARMOR – Lucky8 Off Road, just trying to work out if anyone has imported to Aus yet or if there is an Aus supplier.

    Cheers.

    LJ.
    Hi LJ,
    Looking at the price of the Sliders on the Lucky8 site from the link... and they are pretty X’y compared to those that APT produce for the D4. Not sure if Ben will be coming forward with a D5 set? Also, the Rhino nudge bar, front underbelly guard and hidden winch setup is interesting....but looking at the demo model in the photo...the placement of a rego number plate will be interesting.

    As to your original question about roof rails. Have you looked at Front Runner or Rhino Rack setups?

    Cheers
    Naps
    MY16 D4 SDV6 HSE 3.0L MOAB 265/60R18 KO2 - Carbon 12K Winch - DO 35 Hitch - RedARC TowPro - Rhino Rack Backbone & Pioneer Platform - Front Runner Ladder - 100Ah 'The Lithium Box' - Full Boar Fourbie Drawers & Travall - APT Front/Sump/AC/Sliders - Safari snorkel - Oricom DTX4200 - Cel-Fi - GAP IID - TyreDogs

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    4

    Thanks Guys

    Thanks for the replies!

    I've put the sliders idea on hold for now. Until I get some more info from Lucky 8.

    I'm looking at the running rails so that I can install a platform from Tracklander. Anyone had any exposure to the knock off versions of the roof rails from China? they are about 20% of the cost of the OEM ones and look like they come from the same factory!

    you still need the finisher kit's obviously but they certainly look comparable quality wise from the pictures.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Hornsby Heights, NSW
    Posts
    505
    There are a few posts regarding roof rails/racks on Disco5, where someone cut the existing finishers as there are marks on the back to show where they needed to be cut.

    Ron
    2016 D4 TDV6 Corris Grey
    --------------------------------------------------------
    2018 D5 TD6 SE Silicon Silver - gone
    2011 D4 TDV6 2.7 Indus Silver - gone
    IIDTool BT

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Whyalla, SA
    Posts
    6,026
    Quote Originally Posted by LJWA View Post
    Thanks for the replies!

    I've put the sliders idea on hold for now. Until I get some more info from Lucky 8.

    I'm looking at the running rails so that I can install a platform from Tracklander. Anyone had any exposure to the knock off versions of the roof rails from China? they are about 20% of the cost of the OEM ones and look like they come from the same factory!

    you still need the finisher kit's obviously but they certainly look comparable quality wise from the pictures.
    If they are like the D4 knock-offs then avoid.....
    Profiled incorrectly and stress the mounts unnecessarily.

    Don’t put $10 parts on a $100k vehicle - you’ll end up disappointed Roof racks and Rock sliders for the D5
    Cheers
    Tombie

    AULRO Holiday Reward Points Winner!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Hobart, Tasmania
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by LJWA View Post
    Thanks for the replies!

    I've put the sliders idea on hold for now. Until I get some more info from Lucky 8.

    I'm looking at the running rails so that I can install a platform from Tracklander. Anyone had any exposure to the knock off versions of the roof rails from China? they are about 20% of the cost of the OEM ones and look like they come from the same factory!

    you still need the finisher kit's obviously but they certainly look comparable quality wise from the pictures.
    Hey mate, I have the Lucky8 winch tray which I highly rate, and I also designed and sell a set of sliders here in Aus. If you want any details on these shoot me a message!



    Screenshot_20210412-222221_Photos.jpg

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    Fishing Point Lake Macquarie NSW
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by cdoherty View Post
    Hey mate, I have the Lucky8 winch tray which I highly rate, and I also designed and sell a set of sliders here in Aus. If you want any details on these shoot me a message!



    Screenshot_20210412-222221_Photos.jpg
    Where can I buy these rock sliders?
    What are the rims and tyres in this pic?

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!