Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: ‘Swampy’ - SIII GS ARN 30-829

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    SE Suburbs Melbourne
    Posts
    142

    ‘Swampy’ - SIII GS ARN 30-829

    It’s about time I put some info up on what I have been doing with the series 3 I bought in January last year.

    Pics of when I first got it:



    1979 SIII 109 Ex Army GS ARN 30-829 (SOLD)
    1969 SIIa Carawagon

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    SE Suburbs Melbourne
    Posts
    142
    I had hoped to get it on the road in time for Corowa 2017.
    The brakes were almost non-existent.

    Turned out the cylinders were seized and the hub seals were leaking.



    1979 SIII 109 Ex Army GS ARN 30-829 (SOLD)
    1969 SIIa Carawagon

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    SE Suburbs Melbourne
    Posts
    142
    As brakes are kinda important I decided to rebuild the swivels, hubs and brakes.
    I’m a cabinet maker by trade and it was a great learning experience doing this but it is also part of the reason why it took so long to do.
    Not having a garage to work in didn’t help either.

    I was a little worried when I started disassembling the front end.


    But it all cleaned up well and the swivels were in excellent condition with no pitting.



    I got a Workshop to press in the raiko bushes and bearing seat.
    Not to happy with how it was done....


    Luckily the marks aren’t when the seal sits so I smoothed the edges and hopes for the best.
    1979 SIII 109 Ex Army GS ARN 30-829 (SOLD)
    1969 SIIa Carawagon

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    SE Suburbs Melbourne
    Posts
    142
    Cleaning and reassembling




    When I was pulling it all apart all the the bolts (bar one) holding the swivel to the axle tube were loose. Hopefully new nylocks will stop it happening again.



    New brake lines will help. The old ones were looking very tired.
    1979 SIII 109 Ex Army GS ARN 30-829 (SOLD)
    1969 SIIa Carawagon

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    SE Suburbs Melbourne
    Posts
    142

    ‘Swampy’ - SIII GS ARN 30-829

    Some more pics



    1979 SIII 109 Ex Army GS ARN 30-829 (SOLD)
    1969 SIIa Carawagon

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    SE Suburbs Melbourne
    Posts
    142
    Also decided to fit up some freewheeling hubs.
    I’ve read a lot about the pro/cons of them but as this will be used Offroad the hubs will be engaged frequently enough to lubricate the bushes and uni’s.

    First a good clean and paint before fitting.




    This was the only damaged part and managed to get another set for just the cost of freight to use as parts.

    1979 SIII 109 Ex Army GS ARN 30-829 (SOLD)
    1969 SIIa Carawagon

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    SE Suburbs Melbourne
    Posts
    142
    During this time I also got a new exhaust made and stripped the paint off the front bumper which came up like new.
    Also machined the lift points to accept some shackles and painted them up.



    I also took the window frame and some other parts back to the original gal finish. They came up really good.

    1979 SIII 109 Ex Army GS ARN 30-829 (SOLD)
    1969 SIIa Carawagon

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    SE Suburbs Melbourne
    Posts
    142

    ‘Swampy’ - SIII GS ARN 30-829

    So after taking months to get the front and rear hubs back together (didn’t take enough photos during disassembly and had to read the workshop manual dozens of times as well as watching YouTube videos to work it all out), the brakes were still sh*t.
    Turns out the booster was stuffed and the push rod (?) had snapped.




    I ended up sending it off to Hydroboost to get reconditioned. I also need to supply them another one to use for parts due to the snapped rod. Dave from Land Rover Heaven sent one out to them for just $50. Thanks Dave

    Installed and one clean looking brake peddle
    1979 SIII 109 Ex Army GS ARN 30-829 (SOLD)
    1969 SIIa Carawagon

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    SE Suburbs Melbourne
    Posts
    142
    Lots of other little jobs completed including all new shock rubbers, new radiator and heater hoses, cleaned up the air box, fixed the wipers and washer, fixed reverse lights and replaced the tyres.



    I also cleaned up the steering rods, added new tie rod ends, adjusted the steering and added a new steering damper.
    1979 SIII 109 Ex Army GS ARN 30-829 (SOLD)
    1969 SIIa Carawagon

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    SE Suburbs Melbourne
    Posts
    142
    Did a couple of of test drives and all is working well and ready for the RWC



    And now registered on club plates


    Like I said earlier I have never tried to do anything like this before and I’m pretty happy with the results. Great sense of achievement getting it registered for the first time since it left service.
    At least now if something goes wrong with it in the bush I’ll have half an idea on how to fix it.
    1979 SIII 109 Ex Army GS ARN 30-829 (SOLD)
    1969 SIIa Carawagon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!