Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 36 of 36

Thread: Ex. Army Series 3 GS 109 6 cyl 2.6ltr - Never Say Die

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    32

    Valve - Tappet adjustment

    After a solid day's work, then a bit of fencing and after changing the battery in the mower, I thought I'd check the valve clearances on Regie.

    Regie starts first go and runs smooth, and although the engine will need a refresh, the tappety noise was bugging me.

    So never having checked the valves on a Rover 2.6 I thought - 'how hard can it be'? I can get this done quickly....

    I pulled the top tappet cover in a couple of minutes. Yep, definitely going to be easy and quick. Then I had a look and - hang on... there's some valves missing here.

    Consult manual. Ahhh, I need to pull the side cover. That would be a fun job when the engine was at normal operating temp given it's under the exhaust manifold.

    I undo the 4 bolts holding the side cover - 2 from the front, 1 through my favourite little panel in the passenger wheel well and 1 from the cabin.

    Not too hard, but still more than I was expecting.

    Went to remove the side cover and nope. Not going anywhere until the dipstick tube is removed.

    Well, the manual is blissfully blank on how to perform this crucial operation. I tried pulling on it, with no upwards movement. It turns from side to side though.

    I couldn't find the removal procedure in the army manual either. Anyhow, it looks like I will need to unscrew a retaining bolt at the base of the dipstick tube. Which may mean that I will need to remove the oil filter housing and maybe, the oil pump.

    Then I wondered, wow, not the easiest job, I wonder how often it needs to be performed? Manual says at the minor and major service intervals. Cool.

    The dinner bell was ringing so had to leave it there for the night. Will investigate and have another go tomorrow. Quirky, but I'm enjoying learning the ways of some Land Rovers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Narre Warren South
    Posts
    5,073
    Quote Originally Posted by Dordie View Post

    Went to remove the side cover and nope. Not going anywhere until the dipstick tube is removed.

    .
    I found that removing the dipstick tube so that the cover can be removed was easiest, some people talk of removing the manifold to get the cover off !
    Then up on top of the motor and hang down to adjust the tappets.

    Engine 6 by Colin Radley, on Flickr

    Adjusting is such a pain no wonder they used to burn out exhaust valves
    '56 Series 1 with homemade welder
    '65 Series IIa Dormobile
    '70 SIIa GS
    '76 SIII 88" (Isuzu C240)
    '81 SIII FFR
    '95 Defender Tanami
    '60 SII 109 ute (gone)
    Motorcycles :-
    Vincent Rapide, Panther M100, Norton BIG4, Electra & Navigator, Matchless G80C

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    32

    Red face Valve - Tappet adjustment

    Thanks Gromit, that helps a lot. I don't think they've been adjusted since Army last serviced the vehicle, which is probably why she's a bit tappety. I'll drop the oil filter housing again and see if I can loosen the retaining nut for the dipstick tube.

    Anyhow, it can't be too easy - takes all the fun out of it

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    32

    Valve - Tappet adjustment - Part 2

    After work I thought I'd give valve adjustment another stab.

    Removed the oil filter housing which made it much easier to access the 3/8 sized nut at the bottom of the dipstick tube. Access is very limited, but I managed to get the nut loose with a smallish shifter.

    After removing the dipstick tube, the side tappet or rocker cover could be jiggled out.

    The gasket was cactus, and the cover was caked in dirt and baked on oil.

    Cleaned the top and side covers, the mounting hardware, dip stick and tube + the oil breather filter. It all came up very well and the parts are very serviceable.

    Didn't get time to actually adjust the valves as the smell of sizzling snags on the BBQ was too good to resist.

    I've ordered an engine gasket set with a whole swag of other goodies from the UK, so will wait for the new gaskets before I install the valve covers.

    Finally I can adjust the valves. I also sacrificed a $5 shifter so I can easily tighten or loosen the dipstick tube retaining nut in the future.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Central West NSW
    Posts
    25,363
    Have you adjusted them, and if so how close were they?
    John

    JDNSW
    1986 110 County 3.9 diesel
    1970 2a 109 2.25 petrol

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    32

    Valve - Tappet adjustment - Part 2

    Hi John,

    No, not yet. Didn't get a chance today. I did have a quick squiz at the exhaust valves this morning as I wasn't sure where to put the feeler gauge.

    Studying the picture in the manual quickly sorted that.

    I'm hoping to get the valves adjusted tomorrow, so will see if I can determine how much they're out of adjustment.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!