Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 25 of 25

Thread: my '65 109 "Big Ears" (200Tdi)

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bamaga Qld - The Pointy Bit
    Posts
    417
    Hi All

    Nitemare, It looks great, i can appreciate the time and effort involved , if you feel the need to thaw out I have about twenty series vehicles that you can start on

    Regards Mark

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Birmingham England
    Posts
    237
    Hi Mark, stick a couple in a jiffy bag (not the most rotten ones ) and i'll make a start as soon as the postie delivers them

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bamaga Qld - The Pointy Bit
    Posts
    417
    Hi All

    Nitemare that sounds like a plan My land rovers breed but maybe it work's with propagation and watering too

    Regards Mark

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Birmingham England
    Posts
    237
    and now for anyone that may be interested i have finally got the cream of the cake

    Big Ears has been featured in the June issue of Land Rover Monthly, 8 pages of good pictures and write-up

    it really does feel like i've been rewarded for all the time and effort i put into the build

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Birmingham England
    Posts
    237
    Hi Folks, it's been awhile but I thought it was time I called back in

    I still have Big Ears and he's still my "daily" and nothing too much has changed apart from breaking a gearbox and a couple of other mishaps....

    so first the gearbox problem, I had him sitting around for a while so I could sort a replacement box, got it all sussed and then got him outside my garage so i could do the swap ...

    started undoing all the necessary in the cab getting prepared and got a phone call on a day it was raining..

    only some idiot had driven into the front of him, bent bumper, dumbiron and buckled wing ....

    luckily they'd been spotted and caught on camera as when I trotted round the back the family were all piling back into thier car with the intention of making a hasty exit

    anyway I got thier details and had to chase thier ins' company through the courts for compensation, 2 years later I finally got paid out (good job I'm patient)

    BUT .... whilst I was waiting for all that to be settled I gets another phone call one night from a neighbour .....

    some tealeafing little rodent has only been and set fire to a stolen scooter not more than ten foot from the passenger side of him

    I got round there sharpish expecting the worst, the fire service were already there and about to start hosing the scooter down and I had to take charge quick to make sure they didn't hose towards my motor blowing molten plastics, flames and assorted other crap at him ....

    anyway the fire got sorted, the side of Big Ears lost a little paint and the heat buckled the last undamaged panel on him

    rodents weren't caught and I dare not complicate my insurance claim that I was already chasing so I had to take that on the chin, at least he wasn't destroyed

    so anyway, there I am with various damage plus still got the busted box in there and awaiting payout for another three or four months with the insurance company trying to quibble and it finally got to court...

    the judge took one look at the pre accident valuation and my magazine write-up and told them to get the cash out, so I got the value of a new chassis and other parts with no further excuses

    a couple of weeks later I did my magic spanners/hammers/welder and a few swear words and I was back in the cab

    I still have further plans for him which I have been collecting parts to complete, he's going 5 speed and permanent 4x4 with a longstick LT77 and Disco LT230 (just because I can and I'm fed up of breaking Series boxes), he's also going to get powersteering, I've already got most of the required parts for the P38 conversion ...

    but I need alternative transport so...

    I bought an '83 classic by accident (as you do) that's rough as a badgers bum and had a 300tdi under the lid, of course that needs a little welding ...

    so far I think I've had to plate and repair every inch down the drivers side from the headlight back to the C post (it's 4 door) including replacing the sill with 60x120x3mm box section...

    I've now turned it round and made a start on the passenger side (from just behind the headlamp) and it's just as rotten this side

    any way this is going to be my rough old toy that I'll not worry about dinks and knocks in car parks or off tarmac exploring (laning/offroad) ...

    I've also got extra greedy and bought myself a pretty toy that a mate had parked up in his garage for the last few years ...

    a '91 built '92 registered 3.9 Vogue SE with gas kit fitted, I'm dying to get that home but I also need to get the '83 finished (ish) first ....

    my only problem (apart from parking) will be "which" one do I drive

    oh, and yes I do still have Chalkie, my little Aussie built 88" that I need to get started on

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!