Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: 76 Series 3 Wagon rebuild

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Central West NSW
    Posts
    24,729
    The pictures show you are doing a good job - keep at it!

    John
    John

    JDNSW
    1986 110 County 3.9 diesel
    1970 2a 109 2.25 petrol

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by russellrovers View Post
    hi i have a station wagon 5 door to be sold as whole at this is stage not sure if to bresk up completly as original regards jim
    Well I'm not really after another wagon at the moment i've got my hands full with the one I have , I'm just looking for some some passenger doors that are in good nick.
    Working on a Land Rover is a strange thing, its a mix of "Why on earth is it put together like that" and "Who thought that was a good idea at the time"...

    But you would still stab someone if they tried to take it from you

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14
    I'm still alive and still working on the land rover, I'm just bad at updating things apparently. So update...

    The rear springs are done and after much swearing getting the first reassembled I came up with an ingenious solution for the second using a bit of threaded rod and a few good clamps.
    The rear brakes are rebuilt with all new shoes, springs, and wheel cylinders.
    The rear of the chassis has been painted (finally)
    The bulkhead is off and in slightly worse condition that I thought, quite a few cracks in the metal.
    The top of the engine is rebuilt and has all new seals, oil, oil filter, contacts, condenser, and a new water pump because to get the gasket I needed it was about $15 with shipping, to get the gasket with a new water pump was $25.

    I have heard stories of the valves on the axles getting jammed open and the diffs becoming a mix of sludge and rust so I was a little worried when I finally took off the diff cover plate, but was relieved to find that the rear diff is immaculate, it looks brand new so I'm guessing it was changed not long before the vehicle ended up sitting in a paddock.

    On a side note I want to murder whoever thought that putting those little red rocks along the middle of my driveway was a good idea, water blasting the engine and middle of my chassis scatters them everywhere and it takes forever to clean them up.

    Also i cleaned the fuel tank up and hung it up to paint only to get drip, drip, drip. a tiny amount of fuel was still in the tank and found its way to a small leak, so tiny I cant see it but I can see the tiniest amount of fuel leaking from it, so that's fun.

    Going to modify the angle that the top hose comes from the radiator cause there is no way that I can get a hose from that to the water intake on the Holden engine without folding it in half.
    I'll have to get some pictures of it with the engine properly assembled and radiator back in, and at my rate of updates that would probably be in a few months

    DSC03623.jpgDSC03674-1.jpgDSC03655.jpgDSC03659.jpgDSC03660.jpg
    Working on a Land Rover is a strange thing, its a mix of "Why on earth is it put together like that" and "Who thought that was a good idea at the time"...

    But you would still stab someone if they tried to take it from you

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14

    Still here

    Still alive... It's been a while, I had a few work issues, then a few health issues and then this covid thing, its amazing how easy it is to put a project on hold for a few months and you next time you look at it you realize a few years have passed.

    Anyway its been a busy month (for the land rover at least)

    I finally finished painting the rest of the chassis that I didn't get around to doing last time.
    The bulkhead is finished all holes patched and ready to go back on. (it looks a little rough in parts but its solid).
    The bonnet is back together and looking good.
    I'm in the middle of rebuilding the front driveshaft, it was a little worn, just waiting for parts.

    I have a pile of other bits waiting for some bench space to get cleaned up. Once the bulkhead goes back on I can start moving parts back onto the vehicle.

    Hope everyone is doing OK out there in covid land, at least the break in work has got me back to working on the project again.

    Stay safe...
    Working on a Land Rover is a strange thing, its a mix of "Why on earth is it put together like that" and "Who thought that was a good idea at the time"...

    But you would still stab someone if they tried to take it from you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!