Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Thoughts on 'Workshop' Series

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    NSW, Australia
    Posts
    7

    Thoughts on 'Workshop' Series

    A guy a know has offered me a Workshop series 2a, apart from them being more rare than normal series 2a's is there any other appeal?
    Cheers,
    Luca

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wandong,Victoria,Australia
    Posts
    2,716
    It is military-which come people love.
    54 Series 1 86
    60 Series 2 88
    61 Series 2 109
    76 2 Door Range Rover
    78 101 Forward Control
    83 Stage 1 V8
    88 Perentie FFR
    90 4 Door Range Rover
    93 Discovery 1 200 Tdi
    98 Freelander 1

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    345
    Hi Luca

    There is a good thread here: Land Rover 1971 Series 2a Workshop
    On the first page is list of the known ones. From reading this and the REMLR forum there were about 40 built.
    I have just got one myself (see post in that thread on 22nd August 2020). With only 40 built I think they are pretty special.

    Whats the guf on the one offered to you :-) Do you know its ARN number? If it's in good condition and a reasonable price then go for it. Remember it will cost $ and time to restore it.

    Mike
    Our car: Fuji White MY13 D4 SDV6 SE 3.0 Litre, 8 spd auto.
    My car: Series 2a Workshop, 109 inch WB, ex mil., 1971. To be restored.
    Wife's car: Series 2a FFT, LWB, ex. mil., 1966. To be restored.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bundaberg Qld
    Posts
    6,665
    Quote Originally Posted by speleomike View Post
    Hi Luca

    There is a good thread here: Land Rover 1971 Series 2a Workshop
    On the first page is list of the known ones. From reading this and the REMLR forum there were about 40 built.
    I have just got one myself (see post in that thread on 22nd August 2020). With only 40 built I think they are pretty special.

    Whats the guf on the one offered to you :-) Do you know its ARN number? If it's in good condition and a reasonable price then go for it. Remember it will cost $ and time to restore it.

    Mike
    They built only 40 widelight (71) workshops, there are quite a few from other years.
    PaulT

    REMLR 256 / SLOw 4 (P)

    W/Shops/trailers & GS's
    Disco's, Rangies , 110s & 109s.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    NSW, Australia
    Posts
    7
    Thanks heaps to everyone who got back to me. The guy reckons its a 73 model (actually he couldn't remember if 71 or 73).
    But, by 'widelight' I'm assuming you're talking about the position of the lights? as in 'wide light'?
    It seems like its in pretty good nick, and also very reasonably priced (I think).
    Attached is a picture of it, been stored in a garage for the last 10 odd years, and recently had a fair bit of work done, very minimal rust.
    Luca

    Attachment 164704
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    NSW, Australia
    Posts
    7
    It would need the wiring worked on and some sort of roof, would a normal series hardtop/canvas fit?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    345
    Hi Luca

    If it still looks like that .... grab it !

    Mike
    Our car: Fuji White MY13 D4 SDV6 SE 3.0 Litre, 8 spd auto.
    My car: Series 2a Workshop, 109 inch WB, ex mil., 1971. To be restored.
    Wife's car: Series 2a FFT, LWB, ex. mil., 1966. To be restored.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bundaberg Qld
    Posts
    6,665
    Quote Originally Posted by Ypsilophora View Post
    It would need the wiring worked on and some sort of roof, would a normal series hardtop/canvas fit?
    73 would make it a Series 3 ( which it isn't). So 71 " wide light " looks to be what you have. The 2As all had canvas and the workshops had a seperate canvas for the cab area and another ( very elaborate) peice for the work area.
    PaulT

    REMLR 256 / SLOw 4 (P)

    W/Shops/trailers & GS's
    Disco's, Rangies , 110s & 109s.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Narre Warren South
    Posts
    4,912
    As mentioned, lots of info on the REMLR forum, they keep a registry of all the Military vehicles and you can find out the original Army Registration Number (ARN) of this one.

    The canvas is complex and expensive to replace.

    Picture below isn't a widelight but you get the idea.....




    Colin
    '56 Series 1 with homemade welder
    '65 Series IIa Dormobile
    '70 SIIa GS
    '76 SIII 88" (Isuzu C240)
    '81 SIII FFR
    '95 Defender Tanami
    '60 SII 109 ute (gone)
    Motorcycles :-
    Vincent Rapide, Panther M100, Norton BIG4, Electra & Navigator, Matchless G80C

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    NSW, Australia
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    As mentioned, lots of info on the REMLR forum, they keep a registry of all the Military vehicles and you can find out the original Army Registration Number (ARN) of this one.

    The canvas is complex and expensive to replace.

    Picture below isn't a widelight but you get the idea.....




    Colin

    Thanks for the info...
    I'm wondering if a second hand hardtop/standard canvas hood would fit it (not overly familiar with the workshop series, but I figure they'd be much the same dimensions as normal 2a/3), until/if I find one of the workshop military hoods?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!