Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plasma Rope

Total Downloaded

Plasma Rope

I have a spare 15,000lb winch that I intend to use as a portable winch mounted in a cradle that will fit into a tow bar receiver fitting.

With its 28m of wire rope the winch by itself weighs 50kg and probably with the cradle will be closer to 60kg - I can still lift it but it is a bit heavy.

I am thinking of replacing the wire rope with plasma to reduce the overall weight to make the setup a little more manageable. Also I find 28m of rope is not really long enough, particularly is a double pull is required so I am thinking of going down to 12,000lb rope to get a bit more on the winch.

There seems to be a lot of places to get rope - including ebay but I know very little about the stuff. So where would be the best place to buy plasma rope and how much would I expect to pay for say 40m of 12,000lb rope.

Oh what do people do with the old wire rope?

Thanks

Garry
    REMLR 243

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
    1977 FC 101
    1976 Jaguar XJ12C
    1973 Haflinger AP700
    1971 Jaguar V12 E-Type Series 3 Roadster
    1957 Series 1 88"
    1957 Series 1 88" Station Wagon

Total Downloaded
    This should get you started Garry: http://www.secondair.com.au/pix/pdf/...ail_prices.pdf

There is cheaper rope around but Dynamica is supposedly as good as the best ie it is made from Dyneema fibres (see here for a little more detail Dynamica Rope - Stronger than steel).

Be mindful that for equivalent strength the plasma rope as a smaller diameter than the steeal, so you can fit more on the drum. Also, you need to replace any roller fairlead with a polished aluminium hawse .

Cheers
    KarlB
    Last edited by KarlB; 28th October 2010 at 01:11 PM. Reason: info added

Total Downloaded
    Thanks Karl.

Hmmm didn't realise the rope was so expensive. At those prices I think I might have to risk the hernia and stay with steel rope until something happens to it.

Cheers

Garry
    REMLR 243

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
    1977 FC 101
    1976 Jaguar XJ12C
    1973 Haflinger AP700
    1971 Jaguar V12 E-Type Series 3 Roadster
    1957 Series 1 88"
    1957 Series 1 88" Station Wagon

Total Downloaded
    You can buy it from here Dynamica winch rope for $1.05 per metre off the roll though it is not clear what diameter it is. You can find splicing information here http://www.dborc.co.uk/goodwinch/pdf/dyneema%20use.pdf . It would make it a lot cheaper if you made up the winch rope your self. Tubular sleeving would not be hard to get. You could probably use the existing hook.

What will it cost if you get a hernia?

Cheers
    KarlB

Total Downloaded
    Hi Karl,
    If you select the diameter you want the price per metre changes too. 10mm dia is $15.50 per metre. Not so cheap compared to some on ebay it seems

Total Downloaded
    I am as blind as a bat as well as a silly old fool! Thanks. You only end up saving about $50 then. Bugger all and not worth the effort. Still think it is cheaper than a hernia though.

Cheers
    KarlB

Total Downloaded
    or jsut sell that winch and buy one with rope allready on it

Total Downloaded
    I'd try Bullivants Bullivants Handbook
    they sell all sorts of lifting/handling equipment...the book above has a section on high performance ropes...may meet your needs at a reduced cost!
    cheers

Total Downloaded
    I've purchased winchrope from these guys:
    OKoffroad - 4x4 Recovery Gear - News 'N Views - 4x4 Accessories
    Rope is Amsteel Blue. It is Dyneema fibre (UHMWPE) as above and 5/16" (8mm), 13,000+lb breaking strain is less than $200.00 for 100' rope made up with thimble, terminal, and protection sleeve. There's no excuse for using steel cable at these prices.
    Service from them was excellent - I had my order (rope and fairlead) delivered to my door within the week of ordering.

Ian

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    I've purchased winchrope from these guys:
    OKoffroad - 4x4 Recovery Gear - News 'N Views - 4x4 Accessories
    Rope is Amsteel Blue. It is Dyneema fibre (UHMWPE) as above and 5/16" (8mm), 13,000+lb breaking strain is less than $200.00 for 100' rope made up with thimble, terminal, and protection sleeve. There's no excuse for using steel cable at these prices.
    Service from them was excellent - I had my order (rope and fairlead) delivered to my door within the week of ordering.

Ian
    Did they (OKoffroad) give you the SWL (Safe Working Load), or WLL (Working Load Limit) of the 8mm rope that you purchased, i.e. 13000lb Breaking Strain (BS) divided by ? Safety Factor (SF) = WLL or SWL.
    BS divided by SF = SWL
    13000lb divided by 5= 2600lbs.
    The SF of 5 used here is for General Purpose use for wire slings and most lifting gear, I am wondering what the SF is for this type of rope.
    You know of course that you should never exceed the WLL and never work to the Breaking Strain of the rope. All winching/lifting gear deteriorates from it's first use and eventually fails Well below the BS, that's why SF are applied, Regards Frank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast